Zone diet / glycemic index

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by HJG0989, Feb 26, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. HJG0989

HJG0989 New Member

Hi,

In addtion to prednisone, my doctor wants me back on the modified zone diet. I was on this for about 2.5 months, but I was in remission and didn't see the point of staying on it.

Has anyone found this regiment to be effective for treating the symptoms of Meniere's?

At this point, I have not been having vertigo, but I have the loud roaring/sea shell sound in my head which is impacting both ears.

Best regards,

-helen

2. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

What is the zone diet?

3. HJG0989

HJG0989 New Member

The Zone Diet is a low gylcemic index diet. For the modified zone diet it means 5 - 6 small meals per day all balanced with a ratio of carbs/fat/protein. So, every time you eat, it has to have a combination of carbs/fat/protein (I think it's 40% carbs/30% fat/30%protein).

There is a list of foods to choose from which is based on the gylcemic index. The carbs are all complex carbs which takes longer to break down into sugar.

The idea behind it is to keep the insulin level static through out the day. My Doctor feels the insulin level plays a part in regulating the fluid within the inner ears.

I found the diet to be quite the pain, especially since I only eat seafood for meat. It takes a lot of planning and prep. work and it is almost impossible to eat out while following this diet. I personally don't think it is sustainable for me, but I will give it a try to see if it helps.

This diet is my doctor's #1 recommendation for Meniere's patients. I am curious as to how many other people's doctors talk about this approach.

-helen

4. Rick

Rick New Member

...I follow a diet basd on the GI and it's made a world of difference. I used to get vertigo attacks from hypoglycemia and the GI has eliminated the hypoglycemia and the associated vertigo attacks. I saw my triglycerides drop from 350 to 97 and my average blood pressure drop from 135/80 to 118/75.
    ...The diet can make a world of difference for many of us who suffer from insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, or pre-diabetes ( what ever you wish to call it). I'm sure if the diet is unbearable, you can at least find a compromise instead of getting off of it completely. Maybe follwo the diet and pick one day a week that you don't following the diet 6 out of 7 days is a lot better than not following it at all.
    Rick

5. barcl003

barcl003 Guest

I am a lot better since altering my diet. Not perfect, but A LOT better! Heidi

6. Rick

Rick New Member

..Sounds like a very knowledgable doctor. There are still many doctors that have never heard of the glycemic index or know about all the different conditions that excess insulin can cause. Why is seafood your only meat? For me it was a matter of reducing potatoes and rice in my diet. I had already eliminated breads because of an allergy. That leaves a lot of foods left.
    ...Possibly the Zone diet is restricting you because it's a weight loss plan. That can reduce some foods based on the calorie content. Another good book is the New Glucose Revolution. It's written by the Doctor that developed the Glycemic index. It's main focus is controlling insulin and sugar levels and not weight control. www.glycemicindex.com
    rick

7. utalledo

utalledo Paradise

anfd why is that? What does the Zone diet has to do with MM? I thought there was a restriction just on salt, but that's it.

8. Rick

Rick New Member

...Many of us have found that diet plays a huge role. By following the GI diet and eliminating food allergies, I went from 2 vertigo attacks per week to no attacks in 5 years. Most of us are here at this site because the low salt diet didn't help. The Zone diet and other diets based on the Glycemic index control hyperinsulinemia. Hyperinsulinemia is being linked to more and more health conditions that were previously thought to have no cause. To me it makes sense that an inner ear disorder could be caused by hyperinsulinemia and get misdiagnosed or have the same symptoms as Meniere's.
    Rick