Zofran

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by studio34, Jul 21, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. studio34

studio34 Guest

Hi All,

This is probably already known among many of you but I had a visit today with my GP to grab more valium before the flight this weekend and she mentioned that one of her patients had excellent results treating her Meniere's symptoms with Zofran. The patient takes it daily with no side effects and it wipes out dizziness for her according to the GP.

Maybe worth a shot if you haven't tried it.

Best ... Scott :)

2. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

I get Zofran whenever I have general anesthesia. It keeps me from getting sick as I come out of surgery.

Initially it was prescribed for patients undergoing chemotherapy. It is now more widely used for other causes of nausea and vomiting.

I don't recall it having much effect on my dizzies, but it sure works for the nausea part.

3. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Yes, but were do we buy Zofran? How much should we take? How does it work? Does it also reduce hyrdops, brain fog, tinnitus, or any of the other Meniere's symptoms?

Chemically, what is Zofran?

--John of ohio

4. studio34

studio34 Guest

This will keep you busy.

[​IMG]

http://www.mvertigo.org/articles/zofran.pdf

Scott

5. dizzydeac

dizzydeac New Member

My dr prescribed Zofran for me for my severe nausea/vomiting. It has no effect on vertigo or dizziness. That has been my experience and my dr did not say that would be a use for the drug.

But who knows everyone is different??

John- It doesn't reduce hydrops,brain fog, or tinnitus. I was prescribed 1 tablet every 8 hrs as needed.
    Chemically it is Ondansetron HCL

6. dizzydeac

dizzydeac New Member

Sorry I missed the full package insert. I guess I gave the dizzydeac synopsis :)

7. yogamom

yogamom New Member

Beware too that it is REALLY expensive. It is great for nausea.

P :)

8. wileyriley

wileyriley New Member

i wouldn't have made it through many days of nausea without zofran. i'm allergic to phenergan which is usually the go-to nausea drug. i like zofran because it doesn't make you sleepy like phenergan does for most people.

also, i get the generic and it's only $10 for 25 pills. each pill lasts 8 hours. i can't say that it has ever helped any dizziness but in some ways it did because it relieved the stress from being so nauseous.

9. mrdizzy

mrdizzy New Member

has helped me in the past with nausea. My wife was prescribed some after she had her boobs redone and I used it during a really bad attack and it worked great. I mentioned this to my dr and she gave me a scrip for it. I only use it when its really bad cause like yoga said it is SPENDY

10. dizzydeac

dizzydeac New Member

The generic form works just as well and is much cheaper. I think wileyriley posted she paid $10 and that's what I paid. It will depend on your insurance.

11. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

I went to the NIH website, and found that Zofran is also offered in a tablet that
    disintegrates on your tongue:

"If you are taking the rapidly disintegrating tablet, remove the tablet from the package just before you take your dose. To open the package, do not try to push the tablet through the foil backing of the blister Instead, use dry hands to peel back the foil backing. Gently remove the tablet and immediately place the tablet on the top of your tongue. The tablet will dissolve in a few seconds and can be swallowed with saliva."

For those in the middle of a bout of bad vertigo (with nausea), this could be just placed on the
    tongue to dissolve...much better than trying to hold something down (which is near impossible
    at times).

Might be worth a shot for many sufferers of MM. Still, there appears to be the usual [potential]
    nasty side effects:

"Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:

*rash
    *hives
    *itching
    *swelling of the eyes, face, lips, tongue, throat, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
    *hoarseness
    *difficulty breathing or swallowing
    *shortness of breath
    *noisy, high pitched breathing

Ondansetron may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual
    problems while you are taking this medication."

Mike

12. wileyriley

wileyriley New Member

those dissolving tablets are the ones that are so expensive, i believe. but if i had access to them back when i was having such violent vertigo attacks, i would've paid top dollar for them.