You Write The Lesson - Weekly Study: 6/24/2007

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by rev, Jun 24, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. rev

rev New Member

You Write the Lesson
    1 Thessalonians
    June 24, 2007

This week, I want to try something radically different. I have spent time reading Paul’s writings to the Thessalonians, to Timothy, to Titus, and Philemon. Lots of great ideas came to mind as I mulled the readings over in my mind. God showed me some great things. I noticed a few recurring ideas that were in more than one of the books.

One of the themes was in Philemon. I noticed a couple of things, but verses 6 and 7 spoke to my heart. “I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ. Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints.” A part of what struck me was the connection to sharing of faith, and understanding. We sometimes think that only a special revelation from the Holy Spirit reveals the truth of God. Most of the time that is and should be the case. But this verse gives me a hint about a truth that I could write about week after week and the reader wouldn’t get it. You could read and pray and still not get it. You could ask God to reveal it, and I believe the answer would be “look at verse 6.”

Another theme that came to my attention was in 1 Thessalonians 2: 18 – 20. While reading this, my eyes first noticed that Satan had stopped Paul from going to them. In his own words he states that he wanted to go to them over and over and that Satan had stopped him. In verse 10 he shares his prayer (night and day) to see them again. Later, in 3: 11 he shares that same desire and hopes that God the Father and the Lord Jesus clear the way for him to finally make the journey. The next couple of verses that end chapter 13 are an awesome prayer to keep in mind.

The overarching idea that I want you to look at is encouraging each other and care for each other. Notice what we are encouraged to do and what we are told to avoid. See if a reason is given each time. Notice the practical wisdom that is given - as in 2 Timothy 2:23 “Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.” I want you to dig in and share what God reveals to you. Some of what you learn might be very general. Other things will be more specific. Don’t be afraid to share what God opens to your heart.

1. Read through 1 Thessalonians. What do you think deserves notice in chapter 1?
    2. What about chapter 2? (For me, verse 5 is awesome when Paul tells them that he is not trying to please men but God).
    3. Chapter 3? (For me, verses 12 & 13 are one prayer that I pray over you.)
    4. Chapter 4? (I’ve used verses 13 and following at many funerals. I like verses 11 & 12 too. Leading a quiet life, minding my own business, and working with my hands would have its own rewards, but Paul adds that in doing this we can win the respect of outsiders. Winning those outside the faith is something too few of us experience first hand.)
    5. Chapter 5? This one should yield lots of material for God to work with in you.

2. Cathy

Cathy New Member

V.3 "your works produced by faith; your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." Wow! Faith, Hope and Love! God chose them, as he chooses us. They became imitators of Christ in spite of severe suffering but received joy given by the Holy Spirit. Their faith in God became known everywhere. They turned from idols to serve the living and true God! Do we put anything before God, i.e. our mates, children, money? They were great examples of how Christians should live their lives. I heard a message from John Paul Jackson last week, and he was talking about how the name Christian takes on a negative look from unbelievers. We are "followers of Jesus"!

3. cowcollector

cowcollector Don't hug a tree, hug a cow!!

a lot of times when someone hears the word Christian they automatically
    put up a wall because they expect all Christians to be judgemental and
    unwilling to love. :'(

4. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Chapter1

The thing that sopke to my heart was in vs 2-3 You see prayer being said for this church, somehow I think when these men said they prayed, they really did. Sometimes I forget to pray as the day goes on, but you can just feel that when Paul said he was praying you know you were prayed for. The other thing was in vs 3 We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith your labor prompted by love and your indurance inspired by hope in our Lord jesus Christ. It just speaks of their faith love and indurance this is faith in what your doing, very refreshing. I think when we first come to God we have that same feeling, it tends to fade but you always want that back when you get lazy because of what it gives to you.

5. cowcollector

cowcollector Don't hug a tree, hug a cow!!

i guess we need a little "spiritual exercise" for that laziness
    that you speak of charisse

6. charisse

who? us :D I love doing a study this way. I like to see what others take away from reading the same thing, I grew much when we would study this way.

7. charisse

Chapter 2

I love vs 11-12

For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God who calls you into His kingdom and glory.

When i read this I think this is how it should be, dealing in love with another. Having the heart of a father who loves his children. What a response one would get if he operated this way, from love. You can see how they loved these people and it changed them.

8. charisse

Chapter 3

vs8 for now we really live since you are standing firm in the lord. What fellowship this is, wonderful. I love the follow up here with the people. Many times the greeting in a church may be good but it tends to end there. We can fall short of walking with our new brothers in their faith. It reminds me of the vs go and be well fed. This chapter is true fellowship and concern for anothers walk.

9. charisse

Chapter 4

Sexual immorality

I remember teaching my daughter about the birds and the bees. For me it was not just a matter of sex before marriage as sin. I felt God was telling young woman and men that it goes beyond that. There are reasons for this, so many young girls give their virginity away because of pressure, same with young men. The hurt that it can cause is deep. STD's are another one. So many times when you look at sin, you can see its not just the sin itself, there a reason we should listen to God's word as it is for our well being.

10. charisse

Chapter 5

I love vs 15

Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else. I always remind myself how I would want to be treated and try my best to do so unto others. I may fail when I or someone else is wronged, but I'm learning how to be tactful.

Vs 11

Encourage one another and build each other up

If we could do this all the time what a wonderful world it would be. I have seen people turn thier backs on another because they stumbled in some sort of sin. We are to be of help and in prayer for whatever overtakes the other. We all struggle with some sort of sin and yet we judge the other for it. This is not our job, we are to be a light to the one who is caught in sin.

11. Gwendelyn

Gwendelyn New Member

Nice to see such an active study this week :)

My Bible fell a part and I need to get a new one since it is pretty much unreadable. Although I can't read for our study this week, I would like to contribute to the topic.

I was reading from another book this week about forgiveness and I thought it gave a very interesting perspective. When we look at forgiveness and think about our need to forgive others, we should first consider why we have a need to forgive in the first place. Do we feel that someone has wronged us and if so have we not judged and then condemned that person? Scripture tells us to judge not least we be judged. When we have wronged others (no matter how big or small), do we not find justifications for our actions? Again scripture tells us treat others as we would treat ourselves. It is for these reasons that when we forgive we are really forgiving ourselves.

Forgiveness can be such a wonderful release from bitterness and resentment but only if we learn the true meaning of forgiveness. Forgiveness is not a means to elevate you and demonstrate your graciousness (to yourself or to others), it is a spiritual release and an act of humility/submission to the Great Judge who knows all hearts. Forgive them Father for they know not what they do". It is also the beginning of true peace for our lives.

12. Jazza

Jazza Saved by Grace Thru Christ Jesus

Haven't had time this week to do the study. Hope to join you next week.