Yet another question for prednisone users

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by oaktree8, Jan 9, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Hi everyone

Well I'm finally down to 5 mg, almost done with the prednisone after almost 3 months, and my hearing is way down, maybe worse than it was when I started. Has anyone else experienced this? Did your hearing go back up at all? I'm wondering if this is how it's going to be, or will it get better once I'm completely done?

I thought it was supposed to help after the dose was done, not just at the high doses :(

Also, I've had a very itchy rash that the doctors say is an allergic reaction to something, I don't know what--has anyone ever had that? And I feel so sick and nauseous--is this normal?

thanks

2. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

G'day Oaktree :)

Prednisone helped my hearing and vertigo within 3 weeks of me starting it....I took 20mg a day for 3 months (but started at a higher dose) but then got dreadful side effects and refused to take it anymore...I attribute my 2 year remisssion after that to the Prednisone, but still will not take it now....the cure is worse than the disease thingy ;D

We all respond differently to drugs, but the prednisone did make me very nauseated and I actually lost weight on it, while most gain weight ??? It could be the Prednisone making you feel sick :(

Although they say it is virtually not possible to have an allergic reaction while on Pred (it is an anti-inflammatry and the second line drug of choice for a severe allergic response) I did have an allergic reaction to my very first allergy shot while on the pred.....the docs were baffled ;D Needless to say I did not proceed with the allergy desensitisation shots :)

Hoped this has helped

Maggie

3. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

Hi oaktree-

I have been on prednisone MANY times since developing the Menieres. I actually have to take it because of severe allergic reactions and the effects the reactions have on my lungs.
    I, myself haven't experienced any improvement in hearing while on the medication and my Menieres symptoms are usually worse, but I think in saying that - my Menieres is always more active when my allergies are acting up and they have to be REALLY bad before I will agree to take prednisone.
    Maggie is definitely right, while on prednisone- it suppresses the immune system and with this last bout of allergic reactions that I had-- I broke out in hives horribly and had to take prednisone to treat it and also to help open up my lungs because I had bronchial pneumonia.
    As far as the rash, I do get what looks like a heat rash while I'm on prednisone-- it isn't an allergic reaction to the drug- just a side effect and most often I get it across my chest region.
    As far as the nausea, the prednisone can stay in your system for a little while after going off of the med-- and I had to make sure to always take that medication with food or I got horribly sick. When I was in ER last, they gave me a high dose of steroids on an empty stomach because my hives were so bad- and I got sick so quickly and then that triggered the Menieres symptoms (vicious cycle).

Best wishes,
    Dianna

4. Beth

Beth New Member

Good morning Oaktree,

Check your PM's; I sent you a message about this.

Beth

5. LisaB

LisaB New Member

It is possible for your hearing to fluctuate up and down, even after you're completely done with the prednisone. I have had benefit from it sometimes, and other times it hasn't made a difference. For me I always did better at the higher doses, but once your body adjusts you may still notice a benefit. For me, coming off the medicine sometimes proved difficult....once my body adjusted to being off of it, I felt better, like a steroid withdrawal. Lisa

6. paris 48

paris 48 New Member

In my early stage of MM my Doc put me on prednisone twice.10 days each.The first time my hearing improved somewhat,the second time no improvment.Be carefull,this is a wicked drug and can have nasty side effects.

7. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Thank you, thank you everyone! I feel reassured and hopeful again. I love this site and you guys are great.

LisaB, that's great to hear that "once my body adjusts I may still notice a benefit"
    NurseMom, it's very validating to hear that you got a rash too as a side effect, and nausea
    Goomeri Spinner, thanks also for the validation of the nausea and possibility of allergic reactions

Goomeri Spinner and paris 48 I'm curious what side effects did you get from the prednisone? It must have been bad--