Yes, Another VNS Question

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Jenny, Mar 9, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Jenny

Jenny Nystagmus sucks. A lot.

For those of you who have had it, what was the total pre-insurance cost? I know every doctor and hospital will be different, I'm just looking to get a $$$ range. There's a big difference between $20-30,000 and $90-100,000, you know.... ;)

2. Joanne5170

Joanne5170 New Member

Hi

I had mine at the House and Ear Clinic in LA Calif. I had two surgeons and one Ent. I stayed in the hosp. 5 days and then

4 days a the residence next door. I had MVP insurance. I paid out of pocket around $6000 which included airfare.

The total cost was around $80,000. That was in Feb. 2002. Joan

3. Jenny

Thank you Joan! I'm trying to get a straight answer out of my doctor, but since he's working with a neurosurgeon and anesthesiologist and such, and working out of a different hospital to do it, it's just like one giant jumble of a mess. The receptionists can't even get me a procedure/diagnostic code, much less a ballpark range.

And just wondering, did you include the airfare in your total cost, or was that total medical cost?

4. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

mine was 60k insurance covered it all

5. June-

June- New Member

The dr's quote will only be for his fee. The operating room cost and hospital room, anethesiologist etc etc etc will be a great deal more.

6. Jenny

^Right, I'm looking for the total, out-the-door, preinsurance quote. I'm not sure how people manage these kind of bills. My insurance will cover 70% of the total cost once I pay my $2500 deductable. So I know I've got to pay $2500 plus 30% of a really big number.

These figures are going to make me even dizzier, methinks...

7. June-

June- New Member

Is there a cap on your 30%? I have a $500 deductible plus I pay 20% of a lot of things but I believe it is only up to so much. I got charged $3700 for an mri and called IRG the radiology outfit who did it to ask if there was a mistake by any chance as they billed for 2 mri's (they say it was correct). The person who answered the phone said 'but you only pay a little' and I said no I paid the first $500 plus 20% of the rest which would be about $800 at which time they waived what I owed them on the $500. I was happy but wondered if it was kosher. Someone on this board who knows the ins and outs of insurance said it was their prerogative. I just wonder if mentioning to the doctors that you are on your own hook for this bill might get some of your 30% waived. Maybe someone here has had this experience or works for a doctors office or hospital and can give you some tips. Maybe a post with something about that in the title might bring them out.

8. Jenny

I would, June, but I feel like I'm being a "New Thread Hoard." haha

9. June-

June- New Member

nah

besides, if it saved you $10,000 wouldn't it be worth it ?

Here's the link

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,15672.msg286981.html#msg286981

10. Joanne5170

Joanne5170 New Member

Hi

Yes that included airfare Joan

11. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Jenny, post away. Remember these are read by just who wants to read them, and the posts often help others. Lisa

12. Jenny

Thank you June and Lisa. I just know some boards frown upon it, calling it spamming, so I try to avoid it.

But hey, if it'll help someone else down the road.......

And thanks for that link, June, it has given me some ideas for questions to pose.