Xylocaine - any issues for MM/hydrops?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by June-, Mar 6, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. June-

June- New Member

I know I am caffeine sensitive. I have had issues with xylocaine in the past which my new dentist says relates to rate of takeup etc not allergy. I believe he is correct about that. But my issue is a sudden rise in bp, shakiness, nausea. Doesn't last too long but it happens sometimes. It's not as has been suggested by some doctors an emotional reaction. I have had it in very minor surgeries and had no issues with major gory things. It's sporadic too, so I think the takeup explanation of my new dentist is correct.

Here's my question. If I am caffeine sensitive, which I am, then is it likely that the blood vessel constricting effect of xylocaine will affect my ear?

Anyone here had any recent experience with relatively large amounts (teeth pulled etc)?

2. egross

egross New Member

A few weeks ago I had an old cap removed & replaced with a temp. The dentist gave me 2 shots high under my gum under my nose. The next day under my nose and the side of my face around my nose and above my lip was swollen and hurt. My husband took a picture and sent it with a message to our dentist because he went on vacation. The dentist was upset and called in an antibiotic that worked and relieved the pain and swelling. I'm caffeine sensitive also.

Because I'm having frequent migraines, at least 3 a week the doctor is having me try Migranal. It's a nasal spray. He said they used to have patients stay in the hospital for this treatment. He wants me to use 2 sprays in each nostril for three days. The reason I'm mentioning it is because one of the main ingredients is caffeine. It seemed to work well yesterday, started to feel like my old self again. Today my scalp is tingling and I'm starting to feel worse. I'm wondering if it also a result of the caffeine.

3. Oljanna

Oljanna New Member

Hello there,

I have had a labyrinth-anesthesia wich means that a doc injects highly dosed xylocain / lidocain into the middle ear to numb the vestibularis and let it "reboot". It´s the positive side of it.

As it really has an effect on the vestibularis when injected and I guess it will effect, too, if you just take it on another way and maybe then on a negative way...

4. Maple Street

Maple Street New Member

June - I know a few people who have the same kind of problem with dental anesthesia - shakiness, rapid heartbeat, etc. I have an occassional problem with this but not bad. It is possible the problem is with the epinephrine which is an ingredient of dental anesthetics. If this is indeed the problem you can ask to have the anesthesia without. You may need more shots than normal but you shouldn't have the shakiness and bp problems if the epi is removed
    http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/allergy_novacaine.html
    Jane

5. vikx

vikx New Member

I agree with Maple Street, the epi causes all sorts weird feelings. Sometimes my jaw even chatters. Funny thing, my ENT is also affected by the epi and has to be careful at the dentist's... VK

6. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Yep - for me, it's not the "caines", it's the epinephrine....which basically has the same effect as adrenaline. (Think "jitters".... :mad:)

My dentist always gives me a choice...I can have an anesthetic that does not contain speed ::) BUT it does not last very long and he may have to give me more shots throughout the procedure.

Hmmm.....let's see....putting up with some side effects that I know are temporary, or - suddenly feeling it when he drills near a nerve....NO QUESTION!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Give me the long-lasting shot!!!!!