Xanax withdrawal--experts please help

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by rondrums, Oct 14, 2013.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

I have been on a fairly low dose of Xanax for my dizziness for about 8 years--.25 mg. twice a day on a "good" day; 3 or 4 on a bad day. This past month, the dizzies have been real bad, so I've been averaging 4 a day--a full milligram.

I have three weeks 'til my ENG test, and I can't take the stuff 48 hours prior. I'm going to try and taper off in the next three weeks, but it won't be easy with the bad dizziness. That's going to be a miserable two days, and I have to drive an hour and a half to the clinic.

I hate this stuff and want to get off of it, but I don't see any alternatives.

Have any of you taken it for a long time and eventually gotten off of it? I've talked to two doctors who say it does nothing for dizziness, but it has helped me. It is a central nervous system suppressant, so it only makes sense that it would calm down your balance nerve.

Bless all,
    Ron

2. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Thanks, Johnni. My doc has mentioned Klonopin as a better alternative.

Bless all,
    Ron

3. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Thanks, Johnni. My doctor calls it a "low dose" compared to most of his patients, but I'm not inclined to trust doctors.
    Bless all,
    Ron

4. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

:D :D :D

5. njspingirl

njspingirl unilateral menieres..had vns and gent injections

I just had a visit with my dr who is treating me for anxiety and panic. I take a 0.5 time released xanex every day. I also have the .25 mgs and allowed up to 4 a day if needed.
    I usually break those in 1/2 and take it twice depending on the day. I cannot take Valium, even a the lower dose, it sends me into gaga land. lol
    I do worry about addiction, but my dr assures me that since I dont have an addictive personaity that I will be fine. He also told me that the amount I take is NOT the correct dose for anxiety and panic. He has patients on 5-6 mgs a day! I wouldnt worry too much about the addiction. (if you even are) sounds more like the anxiety is rearing its head rather then the xanex withdraws.

6. njspingirl

njspingirl unilateral menieres..had vns and gent injections

I wouldnt worry about how much you take, unless you are taking more then what the doctor prescribes. :)

7. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Good info, Johnni.
    BTW, as to the dizziness side effect, when I take a Xanax, I get a split second of mild dizziness initially, then it goes away. It helps my Menier'es dizziness.

I'd still like to get off the stuff and find an alternative. I'm hoping the micro wick with steroids and a sinuplasty will do the trick and I can systematically cut down the Xanax "till I'm off of it for good.