writing

Discussion in 'Your Writer's Den' started by thornapple, Nov 22, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I have always loved writing.

But writing this book is.....really hard.

it's too short of a time frame.

I am writing on some topics that require a lot of research in too little time. Given a year or two, no illness, and no job, I could do a bang-up job. but being an ill person and having a job that is also under a number of crisis situations at the moment, it is just bad timing for a crisis book to be written at the same time.

But what I have learned about writing is:
    it's like high school. remember when you started as a freshman...and it seemed like you would NEVER graduate? and you kept going, and going, day after day, year after year, and DANG! One day, they handed you a diploma and you were done! How did that happen?

Well....you didn't stop going. That's how.

And writing is like that. It seems impossible, like climbing the greased glass mountain, but it's just one word at a time. And sometimes the muse is a fantastical and inspirational muse, and sometimes the muse is just the simple boring thought that someday, this dang particular writing job will be OVER WITH.

someone asked me how the book was going this week and I told them I was ready to burn it.

So I must be about close to done. heh.

2. pardonme

pardonme Guest

3. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

Writing a book seems daunting to me unless a person has twice as much time as has been estimated for completion.
    My writing is spontaneous and the t hought of having to write makes me dizzy.
    Thornapple, I hope youknow that many of us are sending you good energy.

4. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I recruited some people in south africa to write some of this last part, and goomeri spinneri is helping me find some Oz people to help me with some of this, too. I also have someone sending me stuff about the western US...that helps....and an organization in the UK sent me a list....I'll just hum a few bars and fake it, now.

But right now, it's 2:25 and I just wanna go to sleep. I will do a bit more and then I will.

It's like this every night.

I'm doing this because I was ill from August thru Nov 7.....so now I have to DO IT.

5. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

i have found for every page that was written and published an average of 30 rough drafts were executed - yes i mean executed - it was either them or me - haha

don't give up - sometimes a brisk walk, a hug from a child, a smile from a friend, a word of encouragement will brighten your mind and allow the words to flow - but if they are not there dont force them -

xoxox

6. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I just don't want it to be me that gets executed for writing a crummy book. ROFLMAO

The dog ate my lemon cake...stole it from the counter. What a turd.

I have to go in to the office, and might as well, because I am sort of stuck. BRAIN DEAD>>>more later. Between pumpkin pie baking and cranberry sauce making.

7. thornapple

thornapple New Member

It's almost 1 a.m. and I am still writing...everyone is asleep and I am cranking away. *YAWN* It's like I have to have my brain partially numb in order to do it..........

8. mundo1988

mundo1988 Dancing is a way of Life

What are you writing about Thorn? It seems if you're writing about the difficulty in writing, you're doin' a good job. Heehee

9. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Oh I'm hearing ya Thornie! That greased glass mountain sure gets treacherous near the top... at least I think that's where I am, but it all seems so foggy I can't be sure.

10. thornapple

thornapple New Member

woo. I only have about 200 descriptions of plants to do in four days. And then some edits. And then this project is close to done. I still hate chapter 3.

I have to get excited about finishing this. But first I need a nap.

11. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

:-* :-* :-*

12. Titus

Titus New Member

Why am I reading this thread :D

I just agreed to write another business simulation and the deadline is March 1. The problem is that the publisher pays me to edit and present the manuscript in camera-ready copy. No drafts....the final product comes from my desktop. So, I end up hiring a proof person and everything gets confused with copy flying back and forth. Then I have to test it on a group of business students to see if the answer key is indeed correct. I used to love these projects. With the illness I only do it for the money :-\

13. thornapple

thornapple New Member

wow....sounds like what I am doing....I have people laying it out with illustrations on another continent and stuff is going back and forth by gmail.

I am working part time at my "real" job so I can do the writing job, but I seem to be working about 60 hours a week with both things. I feel like I am back in college. Right now the money doesn't seem like enough. I hope it turns out well, that's all.

Maybe if this book is well accepted, I will get other book jobs. That would be really nice. I need some positive directions right now, and writing/research seems to be something I can do even when I feel like scuz.

14. Sami

Sami New Member

Hi Thornapple.....

Sounds like you have not a minute to spare with your book. I wish you well and hope lots of good things come out of it. Is this the one that I remember that you started few months back? Hope it all turns out well for you, and hope you are feeling well.....hang in there.....good thoughts to you.....

Best regards.....
    Sami..... :)

15. dlbach1

dlbach1 New Member

I was sitting here reading something on-line this morning and it said this person is in Venice writing his memoires. I thought, how nice... I wish I could afford to go somewhere and not have to worry about responsibilities and just write to my hearts content. Alas, we are real people. We must endure the day-to-day rigors and try to play with words in between. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! keep plugging as you are an inspiration to me. Thanks!

16. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I am grumping tonite...writing stuff, late, have to go work tomorrow and be a public speaker so I can't afford to be tired, everything is late, and there is trouble at work, too. I am troubled....makes it hard to write. Hard to compartmentalize things, wall them off so I can get stuff done. I get all obsessed about stuff I can't change...

There isn't enough money for me to return full time to my job, and I can't finish the last (late) chapter of this book the way they want it. grrrr. so frustrating. So I will have to work part time and find other part time work or I will be way broke. The boss I love left, and the place just isn't the same; I find I have to explain everything to people instead of people knowing what I do there. It seems they don't really know what I do. That is so strange. Lots of people know what I do, enough so that a company on another continent called me up and asked me to write a book...but the people I work for don't?

Where did I go wrong?

Maybe it's a good change. I just don't know. I just don't deal well with change. And my dang ear is beeping again. I wish there was an off switch for that, and an on switch for the writing part of my brain.

*CLICK*

Back to writing.

17. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Too tired to write. Going to feed the cat, then get in bed with my mint-flavored, furry, hot, snoring honey and read a book while an orange kitty tries to head bump it out of my hands, then go to sleep...and wake up in the morning and try it again.

18. Titus

Titus New Member

Oh, how I can relate. Steve is gone for six weeks and I thought I'd get some writing done. One more week and the semester will be over. Then two weeks off to write. Now the teachers who use the simulation I'm doing tell me they want a totally different product than we discussed last month :mad: That's ok, I'll just scrap the many hours I've spent on this and start again :mad:

My cats are the only ones who understand how I feel today ;D All the Italian Greyhound wants to do is get me back in bed so we can sleep 12 hours instead of 10. He's cold because the temperature went below 70 degrees :D I'm just glad I trained him to piss in the shower because it'll be down in the 50s tomorrow.

19. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

one word at a time whenever that word shows itself. I am in the doldrums lately and want to be writing. You have a deadline and that is tough to deal with. Bless you, dear.
    Paul

20. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

{{Hugs}} P -- Been there, done that with the workplace. It's no fun!