Wouldn't You Know It...My Vertigo is Back 2 Days Before I Start My New Job!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by dpa62, Mar 29, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Hang in there David!!! Thinking of you.....Amethyst

2. sprmom

sprmom New Member

Good Luck on the new job!! Hang in there!

3. Rick

Rick New Member

David,
    ...I agree with you that it sounds like BPPV. I would like to describe my BPPV episodes so you can see if yours are similar and I'll also post what I did to get them under control just in case you do see some similarities.

...Basically I would get the short spins (15 to 30 seconds) with the different head positions. But with the sever cases, I would also feel "off". When I would move my head up or down, it was like my vision was trailing behind (which it probaly was). Also extreme dizziness. Sometimes when I would close my eyes, it would get really bad and I would have to open them. Laying down and then getting back up were major undertakings. The good news was these episodes usually resolved in about a week.

...I saw a trend of these episodes happening when it was likely that I was slightly dehydrated. I seemed to be most at risk when I had been working out in the heat all day and I sweat gallons. I drank lots of water but did not pay attention to my electrolytes and I "feel" I may have depleted my potassium slightly. It also happened after I had eaten a highly glycemic meal which would lead to high insulin levels because I have metabolic syndrome. When our potassium is a little low, insulin can cause potassium to go from extracellular to intracellular. I don't know if it was truely potassium related, but this was the only "event" that I found that can happen to electrolytes that could relate to my eating habits.

...So to test this theory (and that's all it is, is a theory) I made sure I would drink V8 or eat bananas when I was sweating a lot and also made sure I didn't eat any high glycemic meals when I was at risk. I haven't had any more severe episodes since. If you saw this episode of yours come on suddenly, then may want to think back and see if it was after consuming a highly glycemic meal such as potatoes, rice, or breads. If you see a similar pattern, then you may want to investigate Metabolic syndrome also.

...Whether the theory is good or not, I have no idea, but the solution is just what i should have been doing anyway: Keeping my electrolytes in balance and eating well balanced meals.

Rick

4. aggie

aggie New Member

Sorry to hear about your illness. I too agree it could be stress driven with the excitement and nervousness of a new job. Sounds like a dream job. And I hope today has gone well for you. I don't know your hours and you are apparently on the west coast so are 2 hours behind me in the central time zone. We sometimes deal with west coast companies at work and I'm always confused on when they will and won't be at work since it doesn't match up with my time. Ha Ha

5. gilbyandnanc

gilbyandnanc New Member

anyone familar here with some good excersises for bppv.....Maybe that will help David try not to worry about it I have been getting those to.......is it possible you could be reaching burnout and your vertigo is short lived Sure hope so hang in there try to pretend you have been at this job for like 10yrs maybe that will help

6. dpa62

dpa62 Guest

Thank you Sara, I know there are some maneuvers that I can do. I think one is the Epley or something like that but I would like to see an ENT so that I can know for sure what it is I'm going through. It may not last very long. I don't always have it. It juts pops up every once in awhile.

David.

7. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

<<<<I think one is the Epley or something like that but I would like to see an ENT so that I can know for sure what it is I'm going through.>>>>

If you find out it is just BPPV and nothing else and he recommends Epley maneuvers, maybe he can give you a simple diagram and a little "on the job training". My wife gets BPPV episodes maybe every couple of years or so and she got a littoe "OJT" after she had the doctor do them a couple of times, Now she does them herself hanging her head back off of the kitchen table. They seem to work for her.

Good luck and hope it all goes well.

Tony

8. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual_ha/figures/fg20_1.html

9. Rick

Rick New Member

...Here's a good site http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/bppv/bppv.html
    Rick

10. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Hey Dave bummer, Valium or Xanex should take care of both the tension and you're dizziness.

Good luck man...

11. dpa62

dpa62 Guest

Thank you. I hope it does. I think it must be working a little because my spells were not as bad today. I had a couple but nothing I couldn't handle.

David.

12. Aliza

Aliza I'm still standing, alone but upright

Hi David, Hope you're feeling better and I hope your first day at the new job went well!!!!

13. Chinook

Chinook New Member

If it's BPPV there are movement exercises you can do that I'm sure can be found online with a quick google search (Epley maneuvers). If you go to the doctor and he/she diagnoses BPPV, then you would most likely be advised to go to a physical therapist who would have you go through similar exercises. If it's menieres and stress induced, I would agree with the low dose valium.

Stay determined. Hang in there.
    Chinook