When nobody knows what's wrong with you!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Coach M, May 4, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Coach M

Coach M New Member

I had my allergies tested about 5 years ago (we had mold in our old house and the builder ended up buying it back because it was so bad) and they said that the only thing I was allergic to, slightly, was cut grass. Thankfully our new stadium has fieldturf (artificial grass.) So the allergy route is iffy for me. It might be food, I have tried some pretty extreme "clean eating" and can say that it hasn't made a difference. I can honestly say I have NO IDEA what has caused or continues to cause this. The one possible explanation is the pollutants and stagnant air, and high count of particulate matter where I live. But again, speculation on my part.

I sometimes wonder of living in that house with black mold for up to a year (we dont know exactly when it started) might have set this MM off. In the future when they figure this out in Australia or wherever, I wouldn't be shocked to see mold as a culprit. In the meantime, we all do the best we can and keep going. I am taking about 7 of my college prospects to a combine in Oakland overnight, and I plan to enjoy that even if I have to medicate. That's life with MM!

2. Angelea

Angelea New Member

Coach,

My symptoms started in the months following our purchase of a front loading washing machine that had a design flaw allowing anaerobic bacteria and mold to grow inside the drum. We didn't realize how bad the problem was until we happened to move into a house where the washer emptied into a wash basin instead of a drain. If we went more than one or two days without doing a load of laundry (we ALWAYS left the door open b/w loads, btw), an awful sulfer-smelling sludge emptied during the rinse cycle. It was terrible.

No one would do anything about the stupid thing (long story), so eventually we just bought an old-fashioned top loader and no more smell. I have always wondered the same thing about the mold issue...

I doubt allergy testing is testing for all kinds of molds, mildews, etc. So I don't think allergy testing is conclusive in all cases.

3. james

james ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

Too add to the mold possibility,before this started with me,had an undetected leak under kitchen sink,from the drain.Eventually ruined kitchen floor and into hallway and living room.
    I am a renter,so landlord ripped all the floors out and part of the plaster in the living room.Had fans drying it out for a couple of months.Hmmm...

4. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

I see mold and Lyme have already been suggested, and you have tried eliminating some foods--just wondering which ones?

Also wondering about other inhaled triggers (besides for mold), like fabric softener?

Another possible avenue for mold or other inhaled triggers can be INSIDE a mattress, especially "select comfort" and "sleep number" mattresses--there are class action lawsuits against the makers of those because of the presence of black mold inside them.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things, especially by eliminating possibly unnecessary medications that may be causing your symptoms.

I would hold off on migraine meds until you've addressed other possibilities; otherwise, you face a lifetime of thinking you may NEED those meds without being SURE that you need them--and, like all meds, they do have side effects. If they are necessary for you to get your life back, great--but you don't want to take them unless they ARE necessary.

Also wondering about vitamin deficiencies--have you been tested for any?

5. Coach M

Coach M New Member

Yes I have, and I do not have any vitamin deficiencies. I had low pottasium when I was on the diuretic but that should be gone now.

6. kdburger

kdburger New Member

Coach,

You may want to get your allergies checked again. They can change at any time or age. I recently had my allergies checked again and I am no longer allergic to most of the things I was several years ago....It used to be several shrub bushes and trees, cats, dogs, grass...no molds..... My environment has changed since I was first tested. I moved to a different house, but I still have my dogs, I still have grass....I dont have a cat anymore.....I'm still allergic to dogs, and grass, but not cats...and no trees or shrubs... NOW I am allergic to every kind of mold they test for.

I was dx with MM in February....but I believe I had precursor symptoms (severe headaches/migraines, dizzies, brain fog, weird ear plugging) that started a few years back when I worked in an office that had been treated for mold by the EPA...they never told us what kind of mold it was....just that the air quality had been poor for quite some time until they cleaned it up.....Once summer hit, I was fine. (and I was no longer working for that company) The next winter my husband and I did some renovations on our house. We must have stirred things up because the severe headaches started up again and got worse...I was seeing a doctor every other week....they thought it was a sinus infection. Once the dust settled in the house, and everything was put back together, summer came and the migraines went away......until the next winter project.....and 3 weeks later I woke up with the beast.

Now that my allergy tests show I am mostly affected by molds...I believe my prolonged exposure to it left its mark. (I pray I dont get any other ailment!) My MM flairs when it is damp and raining...I live in WA so that's a standard here....Mold loves the damp....I do great when it's dry for a few days or when it snows....but if there's rain in the near future, I know it! We'll see how I do when summer roles around. I bet my ear clears up for longer periods of time. Since this is the first year after dx I will be watching to see any more patterns.....and hoping the allergy shots work.

7. Coach M

Coach M New Member

I made one determination for sure. The air here is killing me. I went to the bay area (where I grew up and my family lives) for a two day combine where my players went to get college exposure and compete against other big time recruits (they did great by the way.) I felt so good, no problems. As soon as I get back here, the WORST migraine I have ever had by far. And we have our first spring practice today. Had to pop a bunch of tylenol.

After this season, I need to seriously consider taking a job over there. If there is one to be had.

8. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Coach , great news--- did the good ear eustasian tube resolve up there?

Coach: are these players PAC 10 caliber talent.

9. Coach M

Coach M New Member

The eustachian tube issue (in my mind) is chronic rhinitis. It doesn't get better or worse. It will bug me for an hour, then go for 12, then back. I don't think its MM. My MM ear has just been "active" for so long, it was never like this before. The migraines are new. trying to manage those as well.

My TE is a D1 guy. My QB/TB/DB is a D2 guy. My FS is a D1 but only a soph. We have a few others on the bubble. If you want to see their highlights go to www.youtube.com/gvhsfootball

We are loading more guys highlights as we complete them. I would hate to leave these kids but if moving helps me feel better, I'm going. Wouldnt be till next year.

10. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Good stuff coach!!!

Love high School football. Take the kids to some games in the fall at the local high school down the street.

Living in California, are you a 49ers or Raiders fan?

11. Coach M

Coach M New Member

I grew up two blocks away from the Niners old training camp in Redwood City. I watched them practice from around 80 till 84 when they left for Santa Clara. I watched Montana, Rice, Freddie Solomon, Roger craig, etc. When I managed a gym in Redwood City years later, I actually became friends with Dana Stubbelfield and a few others. So yeah, I don't like the Raiders.

12. Coach M

Coach M New Member

Another day of the same. Talked seriously with the wife about the long term outlook in terms of my job etc. What I have here may be Meniere's, but why is it dragging on so long?

The more we drag on with the daily malaise, TMJ, headaches, etc. I have to wonder if what I have is beyond what the ONT can detect. I might ask for another MRI. Something isnt right.

13. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Coach:

I am with you, this shit sucks, sitting in barnes an noble talking with the lady myself, I want o sell my house in Atlanta and fla and move to the coast of delaware, a little house on the beach
    in a small town and just get a job in a surf shop or in a bait shop. Have even mentioned it to my business partners.

I am simple guy, a tee shirt, flipflops, a surf board and and fly rod/fishing rod and I will be
    fine.

Coach:
    could it be the beginning of bilateral? Or possibly mav with the headaches nausea ect...

I am going to send you a pm, my friend

Nobody deserves this.