What is meant when you say MM can burn it's self out ?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by marlyn56, Oct 11, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. marlyn56

marlyn56 New Member

Hi everyone,
    I read somewhere on this forum that in some cases MM just burns it's self out.
    What is meant by that ? Does it happen to everyone with MM ? Is there a time frame that is common in people with MM ? This was just the first time I herd anything about a burn out, and I can't find where I read it on the forum.
    Thanks, Marlyn56

2. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

Marlyn, -
    burnout occurs when:
    1. symptoms remain but no longer increase in severity. Some folks have a reduction in the in the severity of symptoms. The duration of symptoms does not increase.

2. damage caused by the disease no longer progresses.

3. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

For me, it means no more vertigo......but I still have all the other symptoms.

4. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Hi Marlyn,

The term burn out is sometimes used to indicate that there has been enough permanent damage to the vestibular organs that vertigo stops being a symptom. The idea is that the brain can adopt to a stable, one eared vestibular system.

Joe

5. GinaMc

GinaMc Me and my friend Sally :)

Well i wish it would just burn out in that ear so i wouldn't have to have the VNS done....

6. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I hear you, Gina, we can always hope, can't we? At least the possibility is there. Lisa :)

7. angels29

angels29 New Member

Hi! Well for me I guess burnout means I have no vertigo but I can no longer hear and have Tinnitus. The Menieres doesnt go away but the severity of the symptoms are lessened. Remember Menieres is different for everyone. What happens to some people doesnt mean it will happen to you.Take care and keep posting, we are all here for you!

8. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

Many docs (not all) believe this is the last stage in MM and like Linda said it usually means no more vertigo but you still have tinnitus, fullness and hearing loss :mad:

I have burnout in my right ear which is dead to balance and hearing (eCOG test) and am appraoching or have reached burnout in the left ear, resulting in major balance problems but the hearing is going much slower...the left burnt out much quicker then the right is, so MM can even effect both ears differently
    :(

Some people reach it earlier than others, some never at all :( it depends on the aggressiveness of the MM me thinks :-\

There is a site in menieres.org that talks about it but I am not good at posting links, but am sure that someone will come along to help :)

Maggie

9. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

More info:

http://www.menieres.org.au/stages.htm

10. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

Thanks Linda...you were the one I was thinking of who would post the link and you did :D :D :D

11. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

I question that there is such a thing as "burn out". Many hear the term and think "YEA!!!! Some day it will burn out and all this crap will stop." NOT!
    Apparently some people do go into inexplicable remission where they do not have vertigo for months, years, even decades.

But MY OPINION of burn out is that it occurs when you have nothing left to lose. All your hearing and all your vestibular function is destroyed. At that point you can not longer have vertigo, but you are left with no sense of equilibrium, a multitude of other symptoms that are side effects from having no vestibular function (esp if you are bilateral) which includes the tinnitus, aural fullness, cognitive impairments, visual "disturbances", emotional & pyschological issues.

As to how long does this process take? Everybody is different. Some never reach burnout even after 30 years. Others in only a few years. No time table for MM. It does what it wants.

12. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

I had been reading bits and pieces about "burnout" and didn't understand it. I had hoped it meant that this would go away and I could get back to normal. I guess this IS normal!

But I do thank you for all the info.

Willie Marie