What have you learned this year?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Artlover, Dec 19, 2013.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Artlover

Artlover it's a crazy world.

I was thinking what I have learned this year and thought it would be a good topic. A theme that keeps coming up for me is thinking certain people are one way when really they are another way. I realize that over time that some people surprisingly aren't really my friends and some are. I am constantly surprised, amazed, and baffled by this. Maybe this is simply the journey of life. I am not a believer that people who say thoughtless things don't mean it. I believe they do mean it. And I let them go. Because they will most likely hurt you again. But others come in to your life and they are really your friend. Sometimes it is hard to decipher. But I guess that is what the road is all about. Constantly changing. And you?

2. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

the person with a rough mean personality, may be the person to trust, instead of the nice, smile in your face person that will stab you in the back. I agree with this, a lot of the time

3. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

People are people. I rarely have expectations of anyone. I only have them for myself and work to meet my standards. Everything else is a bonus. A person can be awful or super fantastic yet it rarely makes a dent in my day. I'm not anybody's gatekeeper so they can be however way they want to be. My duty, if you want to call it that, is to keep myself safe. That's all.

Trying to analyze the hows and whys of someone else is a total waste of time. I'd rather spend it on...and I did this year...running farther and faster, doing a new style of yoga, changing gyms and getting in way more dynamic workouts.

I learned about longboarding and speedskating from my children, endless talks on nutrition and health optimization with Katness (that's her job) and Titus (who should make it yet another one of her jobs.

I learn something new almost every week. It's my passion. I love to read and study so there is always something that grabs my interest and triggers me to explore.

4. Titus

Titus New Member

I've learned that things I've done really have made a difference in the lives of others. I've also learned to be kind to myself and worry less.

Intrepid.....you know I don't need another job.....what we did was go on a mutually beneficial journey that yielded insight and made our bond stronger. You have been the best thing I've "received" from this forum.

5. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

that goes double for me :D

6. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I feel the same way sweet thing.

7. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

I learned that life doesn't always turn out the way you expect it will and sometimes that means having to pick yourself up and move forward no matter how hard (or even impossible) it may seem at the time.....all while trying to heal your broken heart.

I've also learned who my true friends really are......the ones who have stuck by me and supported me no matter how down or sick I may have been. They were there for me without my even having to ask. They didn't abandon me just because I was going through a tough time and that to me is the best gift I could ever receive.

8. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Hugs Lulu ... you are cared for by many. xx

Just as you care for others.

9. Janice

Janice New Member

I have learned so much in 2013.

I survived a narcissistic sociopath and lived to tell the tale.
    I found out who my real friends are.
    I travelled around Victoria and NSW - driving by myself (something I though I couldn't do)
    I bought my own house.
    I knew family were important but I have made them a priority in my life especially my elderly parents.
    I didn't take crap from a bully and although it caused me grief I know I did the right thing.
    Just because someone tells you they love you it doesn't mean they do - it's what they do not what they say.
    I encouraged my children to move home again and although it has it's moments on the whole it's great.
    I am a good, kind, thoughtful person.
    Nothing can prepare you to deal with someone who is evil.