VEMP

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by lady56, Apr 29, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. lady56

lady56 New Member

I am curious if anyone had an abnormal VEMP and it if helped your doctor diagnosis Menieres. Reading about it used to prove SCD. Some information shows it use to help decide Menieres.

2. recentlydizzy

recentlydizzy New Member

My ENT was asked that same question from me and his response was my neurological tests were all negative, my imaging was all negative CT/MRI, BPPV was ruled out, and my VNG showed 25% weakness on the left side so he couldn't justify doing the VEMP. So I had to assume what ever the VEMP would show was not necessary or not needed for a diagnosis. Then again sometimes its more what will the insurance pay for than what is medically necessary!

3. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

What your Doctor says doesn't make any sense :D A VEMP is a easy and quick test and usually part of the vestibular testing at a good facility.

I just don't understand why a doctor wouldn't run the test when you are there to get a better picture of what is going on.

4. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

In my case the VEMP did indicate a SCD much to my Doctor's surprise. The Rotary Chair Test also indicated the problem in that area.

The rest of my vestibular testing was normal. I don't believe that the VEMP is looking for Meniere's, the other tests are doing that, but it is another piece of the puzzle to figure out what is going wrong with you, and eliminating certain conditions. It's basically a conductivity test of the ear. To my knowledge I don't believe that people with Meniere's are failing the VEMP test if they are given it.

Here's a description : Vestibular evoked myogenic potential (VEMP) VEMP testing is used to evaluate whether the saccule and the inferior vestibular nerve are intact and functioning normally. During VEMP testing, headphones are placed over the ears and small electrodes are attached with an adhesive to the skin over the neck muscles. When sound is transmitted through the headphones, the electrodes record the response of the muscle to the vestibular stimuli. - See more at: http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorder/diagnosis#sthash.s9adzSZ2.dpuf

I have 3 of the 4 classic symptoms of Menieres, I am missing the hearing loss.

5. nicmger

nicmger New Member

I was sent for vestibular testing early on (for official diagnosis). I was not given the VEMP test.

6. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Same with me nicmger!

The ENT didn't order it and I didn't know any better. Once I got to a NeurOTOlogist they order it as part of their battery of tests and voila! problem found. Whereas the ENT said there was nothing wrong after not running all the appropriate tests, and he decided to totally dismiss any symptoms that I reported to him. Sadly, a common story.

To anyone reading this, make sure you are getting the VEMP test. It's so easy compared to the other tests they are doing.

7. lady56

lady56 New Member

Thanks for the replies.