Valproic acid vs Valerian...Food for Thought

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by poppaharley, Dec 22, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

Ya know...... sometimes there are just some coincidences that amaze me.

Just the other day, "Terri Lee" posts": "Decided to try taking 3 valerian root and have a little lie-down (just 30 minutes) to see if I could fend off the worst of it. Lo and behold, aside from a little dizzyness and foggy eyes for the rest of the night, the attack didn't come........Had a similar occurance today - and once again, the valerian root seemed to tone everything down. I think I might be onto something here!"

Then the next day, "bnatural" posts: "Does anyone know if Valproic Acid makes the symptoms of Meniere's worse? I recall seeing this somewhere on the web, but I can no longer find the reference."

and then

"ifishdizzy" replys: My only exposure to Valproic Acidn (Depakote) was that my first wife took it for epilepsy, but in some Google searches I just read where it is also used in some treatments for Meniere's Disease.

I googled "Valeric Acid" and find: "Valproic acid (by its official name 2-propylvaleric acid) was first synthesized in 1882 by Burton as an analogue of valeric acid, found naturally in valerian.[1].....In 1962, the French researcher Pierre Eymard serendipitously discovered the anticonvulsant properties of valproic acid while using it as a vehicle for a number of other compounds that were being screened for anti-seizure activity. .....Since then it has also been used for migraine and bipolar disorder.[3]"

SO...looks like there is certainly a connection between Valerian and Valproic Acid and the fact that Valproic Acid is used for anti-seizure and anti-convulsive agent sure looks like it should have some potential benificial effect for Menieres rather than a negative effect.

Tony