Valium The wonder drug

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by TJ, Sep 6, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Dizzy Little Piggy

Dizzy Little Piggy OINK OINK

If I didn't have Valium I would be living the life of pure hell!!!!! Whatever works for you is what you should do. The amount of Valium we take for Meniere's is not even close to what can cause an addiction.

Piggy

2. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Lisa and piggy, great threads and I agree with both of you. I believe some people on this forum use valium sparingly and wisely, but I've read where people take 5-15mg every single day, and that is alarming, ontop of anti-depressants. Alot of people on here have multiple health problems and are masking other symptoms.

3. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta New Member

O.K., I have seen enough in this thread like this - I just CAN'T keep quiet....

First off possession of Valium without a prescription is the same thing from a legal prospective as possession of Narcotics without a prescription. If you got caught, I guess you could not deny having them, but claim actual medical purpose (after all the laws in general is more about intent than actual actions), and insist on a jury trial. - But if you do that, be prepared to give 12 people a FULL education on MM, Vertigo, and how Valium effects it - and in a way that they won't get board, and miss a lot due to not listening.

Cocaine - I have no clue where that even came from! O.K., it dose have wonderful numbing properties, BUT, it also constricts blood vessels, increases heart rate, and raises blood pressure. (As well as destroying the noise - but it dose not have to be snorted, that is just the most common way of using it.)

As for Marijuana - I really did try not to bring this up. BUT I KNOW (yes actual personal experience) for me anyway (and I have seen not many, but a few web-sites that confirm this with SOME people) dose not help in preventing an attack, or tinnitus, exc. HOWEVER - once an attack is there (or just starting to come) it dose seem to kill the dizziness and nausea a lot quicker (Like less than 1 Minute) and with fewer side un-wanted effects than Meclizine and or Valium, plus unlike Maclizine and Valium - not only dose it stop an attack, but you actually have an appetite. (Also, not reported anywhere - but I notice more tolerance to noise - especially base type noise). The downside of course is lung damage, but again, smoking it is just the most common way to use it - but you can also bake with it, make tea, exc. Although I would imagine those ways it probably would not work as quickly, but are "safer" delivery methods.
    BUT, even those few web-sites that confirm this, DO NOT claim it works for everyone!

NOTE: This is intended for informational purposes ONLY - I am not in anyway advising anyone to try anything. If you do so, it is 100% your responsibility!

4. dmac

dmac my sweet Holly

;D May I recommend biofeedback for anxiety control. I did it back in '78 for panic attacks and it works. Do a google search for a practicioner in your area.
    Lamentably, I could maybe use it again but there is no practicioner in my area.

5. jkp_2_98

jkp_2_98 New Member

I agree with everyone here that one needs to be very careful with Valium, especially if you have a predisposition to addiction. However, it's not that big, bag scary of a drug that it should scare people away from getting some intermittent relief from vertigo. Saying valium is a "cover-up" drug that masks more serious problems that pop up later is kind of like saying that taking Tylenol is bad as it would mask a potential brain tumor causing headaches. I don't think patients should be scared away from using valium as long as it's used strictly according to doctor's orders. It shouldn't be taken daily as a preventative, but it is a good drug to carry around with you to take when dizziness and vertigo starts. To date, it is the best known drug to sedate the vestibular system. Valium isn't that good of a drug to completely mask Meniere's symptoms to prevent doctors from diagnosing and treating you. I think everyone here would agree that although they take valium, their Meniere's symtoms haven't disappeared. I have a lot of respect for the information that Sam provides, but I can't agree with his view here about valium... if it was THAT good of a drug then treating Meniere's patients would be simple, just turn them into valium addicts and their lives would go back to normal. If that was the case I think most of us here would gladly trade valium addiction for complete relief from Meniere's symptoms, but obviously it isn't that effective a drug.

While I am in no way advocating this, I have been curious as to whether marijuana would be useful for combating vertigo... I haven't smoked marijuana in many, many years (going back to college days), but I sometimes think about trying it as an experiment for vertigo... again please do not think that I'm an advocate of illegal drugs :) However, I would see nothing wrong with it if it really did help alleviate severe vertigo, much the way it is effective for nausea from cancer patients on chemo.

6. pardonme

pardonme Guest

7. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

all I can say is that it works for me.........if you know my story.......valium is the only that keeps me stable and that is after shunt on one side and VNS on the other.....I have had LOTS of testing to rule out other problems and it aren't any except MM and MAV.

I know what meds work for me and when I need to take them. Everyone is different.

Tuck

8. SamC

SamC Guest

Lisa B, I sure didn't meant to knock anyone as an individual. I stated this was my opinion and sure can't see how you read where I was telling everyone my way was best. I haven't tried everything. Look at all the ads on this site ... hundreds of controls, cures, and whatever. No I haven't tried everything or do I intend to.

My post are to get folks thinking and I apoligize if you or anyone gets offended. I realize my wording isn't the best sometimes, but do my best. I sure didn't mean to knock anyone and sorry if you took it that way.

Look at the post title ... "Valium The Wonder Drug" ... The poster had great results and felt it is a wonder drug. Fair enough, but what about those trying to make a decision whether to Valium or not to Valium? The other side of this issue needs to be addressed. I felt I responded with respect, but apparently you didn't and I apoligize. No one is right or wrong, just different experiences and opinions. I try to approach it from a healing view point. As always, with respect, Sam

9. TJ

TJ New Member

great discussion I can see we are very polarized on this issue. But It still needs to be out there as a means to a normal life. while trying to figure this disease out if I get this thing under control through natural means, Great but untill then I need to keep working and functioning normally. Valium seems to be the one thing I have tried that will stop the dizzy monster and it is such a relief that for the first time in a long time I have some controll back. Thank goodness I saw some posts on it here.

10. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Pardonme good as always :-*

TJ

I am happy for you, I know just how you feel, live your life now that you can have some control.

11. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Thanks Sam. I think I know that you don't mean to attack anyone. You just use such strong statements as "valium is a common drug for menieres but that doesn't validate it as a treatment." I don't understand that. What validates it for me is that my doc, a board certified neurotologist, told me to use it to control my symptoms. This was after years of treating me in other ways. And, it is a common drug for the treatment of menieres, and a huge help to many, as stated above. I was trying to say what I did I guess, that valium IS a very accepted as well as helpful treatment for many, and should not be feared by new people who are desperately seeking help. Should they try other things too? Sure! Try everything. Also, the statement "valium is not a treatment anymore than cocaine is" just seems so far out there, I don't know what you mean by it, or how it was supposed to get people thinking. With all due respect, it's an incorrect statement. I guess I like the way Pardonme said it best. Don't be a martyr to your pain, seek help. (But never with cocaine :) ) And valium is not a way out there alternative treatment, it IS a mainstream treatment often prescribed, and in my own opinion, for good reason. I understand why it is termed the wonder drug above. For me, it's because many times, feeling a spin come on, I have taken valium and it has cut off the attack, completely, and let me go on with my day instead of vomiting and spinning for hours. That does have some amazing qualities. What's wrong with praising its uses that way? Others here have also attested to its working in amazing ways. It's just people reporting how pleased they are with how well it works. Thanks for listening to me and for all the input everyone gave. Lisa

12. thornapple

thornapple New Member

OK!!!!! I am trying the more sex and fishing treatment.

I'll let you know how it goes! ;D

13. gtrvox

gtrvox our pooch Hugo

A very good post, Lisa. There seem to be two groups on this forum: the anti-benzo group and the ok-with-benzos group (don't want to call us "pro-benzo" which sounds as if I'm pushing the drug) Never the twain shall meet.

I, too, have absolutely no problem with this class of drugs if properly prescribed and used. Most everyone here is aware of the abuse potential of these meds but chooses to take them anyway for their own valid reasons

George

14. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta New Member

I actually have no problem with Benzos - I myself, just in case I do NEED them, keep some Meclizine and Valium around, I just try not to use them - however, I DO NOT go anywhere without the bottles with me.
    My previous reply was basically in response to quite a few other replies in this thread - just did it all at once rather than go back an try to quote every one. Also just a little bit of info from personal experiments - actually done before I got a DX, but compared that to "mainstream" treatment drugs I have used since I got the DX (and yes, I do prefer my way, because as stated, for me anyway - it seems to work faster, and with fewer unwanted side effects). However - I say whatever works for you, I really don't care. I do have somewhat of a problem with actual addiction - but even then if it really is improving the quality of that persons life, what dose it really matter. (Actually what I REALLY mean is chemical dependency - it's not truly the same thing as addiction.)

15. SamC

SamC Guest

Lisa, I would justify my statements you questioned by pointing out the Valium is an addictive narcotic even in small amounts if used regular over 6 months. The below link will varify that statement.

Ask your doctor how Valium stops vertigo ... I am sure he will tell you it doesn't stop it, it simply alters your brains conception of the messages being sent via the vestibular nerve. Since your doc, if board certified, probably agrees that "Meniere's" is Idiopathic Endolymphatic Hydrops, he or she will agree that Valium does nothing to control hydrops. What it does is control anxiety and such that leads to one's symptoms being worse because of panic, stress, anger, etc.

Valium is a multi tasking drug, but nothing in it's power controls a disease known as Meniere's or the disorder, IEH. It does alter the mind to deal with the symptoms of vertigo, etc., in some folks, but not all. Now if your or anyone's doc prescribes Valium and the patient feel comfortable taking it, then what I say should not cause any fear in them. No one should take Valium without consulting their doctor and that includes me. It has many side effects and many drug contridictions as the following link will testify.

Good point Red on the difference between chemical dependency and addiction, however both are of concern with vestibular disorders.

Balance is an issue when taking Valium ... Already impaired balance maybe effected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valium

16. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

Cool site Sam, I bookmarked the link. :)

As far as Valium goes it does stop valium dead regardless of it's side effects. And if it can get someone through another day without severe vertigo/puking it's ok. As needed it is very helpful tool "for some" for vertigo thus they can go about finding out the "why" answers to what's going on and move on to next step.

17. america57

america57 New Member

Ok, so I have read all of these post...here is what I don't understand. I take lorazapham under the tongue, but I ONLY take it when I am having an attack of vertigo, I don't take it every day. I go for weeks, sometimes months without taking it. How would it become addictive? Isn't eveyone just taking it when they have attacks? My ENT told me that if I took it evey day it would no longer stop an attack, and man, it stops the attack. I'd like to meet the person who made the drug and kiss them!

Which brings me to my second question (since sex was brought up here) has anyone else noticed that the pressure in their ears and tinnitus gets better after sex or is it just me?

18. gtrvox

gtrvox our pooch Hugo

Sex? What's that? Yeah, I seem to vaguely remember now.....quite pleasant...:)

George

19. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

Well some people take small amounts of benzos daily as a preventative. Sex = Dizzy :(

20. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

I can go on and off valium with no withdrawals. I use as needed. When I was real bad I used it quite frequently, now maybe a few pills a month at most. Sex does nothing to relieve any of my symptomology nor does it provoke it.