Type of person who has Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by JLR39, Oct 2, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

I might add charming, humble and unlucky.

2. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

And Dog, you have nice ankles! ;)

3. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

Seadog is right - the one thing we have in common - we are unlucky!

4. JLR39

JLR39 New Member

Well . . . I must admit . . . Papa Joe and Seadog gave us a smile. :D

It certainly does seem we are all over the map on the type of person that would get MM.

Wonder if there are any African-Americans on this site that have MM? Someone said they weren't as likely to get "IT". If that's the case, wonder why? My background is Scottish, Irish, English and Pennsylvania Dutch. I have a Jewish e-mail buddy who has it, too.

Jacquie

5. that's an interesting question too - races - which ones are more prone to it. I'm English French and Dutch.

6. mcdizzy

mcdizzy "Now Who's the Dumbass Dumbass"

I'm just me....and MM is just Crap in a Can....so I'm one of the unfortunates who managed to open it for whatever reason..

7. KTabc

KTabc Cheese Head Dumbass

I am a laid back kind of person. I do believe that the stress in my life causes my MM to become chronic. Working 2 jobs, taking care of my girls, a house, lawn, going back to school--all at the same time, I wore my body down and it just came on strong. Now, I need to take it easy, work only one job, take naps.

I am mainly German, with some Irish and Bohemian.

And, I have always been clean-shaved. So, facial hair is not the cause of my MM :)

KT

8. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

I'm 1/2 Polish and 1/2 Southern.

9. snowsporter

snowsporter why go on a rollercoaster? live on one day to day

i'm relatively laid back but do have the occasional blow up and analize everything. i tend to think things out before i act so my mind is always working trying to find the solution to a problem of lay out a plan in my head before i act on it. background is mostly german, french and english

10. Rick

Rick New Member

...It used to be called Watchmakers Disease
    http://www.helium.com/items/1069485-tinnitus-dealing-with-menieres-hearing-loss-vertigo-menieres-disease-watchmakers-disease

11. Papajoe

Don't mean to make you feel bad, but...

[​IMG]

12. JLR39

JLR39 New Member

Oh my goodness!!!
    I think I prefer you with the shorter face fur.

Jacquie

13. Daize

Daize New Member

I got mono too when I was 17.

I am laid back person. I do get concerned about things, especially with family/friends. I am not constant worrier. I do get stressed out at times, especially since March when my mom became terminally ill, I cope day to day with this and also other things that go on in my life.

I don't get angry much, but, when I do, watch out.

I am not type A personality.

I am Scotch and English and 1/4 mohawk (grandma told me this when I was 17) and I found out it is true.

Interesting post thread.

:)

14. Cara

Cara New Member

Papajoe.......that makes you polthern........pretty cool!

Heredity? Possibly yes, my sister has MM as did our grandmother.

15. charlesj

charlesj New Member

I think I am laid back but worked at a high stress job for several years and hearing trouble started.
    The vertigo started after I retired and became a caregiver for my wife. Interestingly enough I have been feeling better since my wife went into a nursing home.
    I think my mother had MM. She had hearing loss and vertigo but was never diagnosed

16. AllisonTaylor

AllisonTaylor New Member

I think I fall into the highly strung category but don't like to admit it. I think I went through a rough period (1 - 2 years) not really serious stuff but it affected me greatly. Seemed to be sick on and off through out this period. I think this period of time contributed to the end result.

17. Papajoe

I often got strange and unusual looks from people. I actually like being clean shaven (except for the mustache, which my wife won't let me shave because it makes me look younger than her), but shaving is a PITA. Much easier to leave the beard and trim it every few weeks.

18. Papajoe

I just thought it made me extremely intelligent and extraordinarily good looking :D

My Mom had MM bad, but now that I know that yeast is behind most of the evil in the world ;) I can look back and see signs that my Mom had a candida infection as well. That makes me sad, if only we had known...

19. acujen

acujen New Member

Ally, what was your "end result"?

20. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

Interesting thread but I'm not sure there is really a correlation to personality. However, June makes a good point about type A's or highly stressed people tending to be more prone to things like herpes or other viruses. I think there has been a long term study that shows a link between stress and other diseases like cancer and heart disease so maybe there is a factor of some sort. I know some people keep pointing to genetics, but I think that the "family" thing could be more a factor of close proximity and the likelyhood of spreading a virus rather than a truly genetic thing. Regardless of the cause, high stress and a type A personality may tend to increase the intensity and frequency of meniere's symptoms. I lived with a high stress job for many years and even started to develop high blood pressure.....which may in itself be somewhat hereditary since my mom and uncles have that problem.