Transpositions, words out of context, spelling and grammar errors?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Titus, Jun 25, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. chrisj

chrisj Guest

:D :D

2. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

I think what the neuro means is that as long as you know that you want to say something and what you want to say (but just can't find the word) then you are still aware of and connected to your own brain and the world. That's a good thing.

3. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/voice/apraxia.html

What is apraxia of speech?
    Apraxia of speech, also known as verbal apraxia or dyspraxia, is a speech disorder in which a person has trouble saying what he or she wants to say correctly and consistently. It is not due to weakness or paralysis of the speech muscles (the muscles of the face, tongue, and lips). The severity of apraxia of speech can range from mild to severe.

What are the types and causes of apraxia?
    There are two main types of speech apraxia: acquired apraxia of speech and developmental apraxia of speech. Acquired apraxia of speech can affect a person at any age, although it most typically occurs in adults. It is caused by damage to the parts of the brain that are involved in speaking, and involves the loss or impairment of existing speech abilities. The disorder may result from a stroke, head injury, tumor, or other illness affecting the brain. Acquired apraxia of speech may occur together with muscle weakness affecting speech production (dysarthria) or language difficulties caused by damage to the nervous system (aphasia).

Developmental apraxia of speech (DAS) occurs in children

4. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

I think a valid example is say ... you say frog but the word was supposed to be house ...and you don't even know you said the wrong word.

Today I forgot the words appeal and disconnect. I just stood there, the person looking at me and my mind was blank ...

Not too long ago it took me about 5-10 minutes or so, could've been longer - not sure - to think of crouton. I was googling toast, salad toppings just trying to remember the word, lol.

5. Angelea

Angelea New Member

I thought I was the only one who used Google as a word-finding tool for my brain. Lol!

6. June-

June- New Member

I have become poetic in my old age. The little square toast things that you put on salad ....

7. goofygirl

goofygirl WDE!!!

What all of ya'll said!!

My kids and coworkers say it's like a wild game of $10,000 Pyramid talking to me..it's used to get stuff off your floor...".Vaccuum cleaner","broom","dustbuster","dog".....It was broom I was trying to say, by the way..the dog reply was from one of my smart*** kids!

8. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

Yea, that's exactly what I was saying in my head ... toast, garlic, olive oil, you throw it in the salad .... heck I didn't even think of garnish ... lol

9. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

I use google for everything. I even use google to find the phone number to the rental office of my apartment complex and the office is like 2 or three buildings down from me.

10. dizzyincali

dizzyincali New Member

The other day I was at a pet store and told my daughter, why on earth would they be selling "dumb" rats?!? Turned out the sign was for "dumbo" rats and we had a good laugh.

What's not so funny is forgetting words or forgetting the point of my conversation, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one (I'm too young for dementia!)...

11. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

Yea, I like it when I start talking about something and then four sentences in I go ... wait .... what was I talking about? Why am I talking about this? I'm sure I had some point to make but I can't remember what it was.

12. goofygirl

goofygirl WDE!!!

I loved Steve Martin's old stand up routine..when someone replies to you"it must not have been very important, or you wouldn't have forgotten it", Steve would say " Oh, yeah...I'm Radioactive!!"..I use that quite a bit!! ;)

13. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

My spell check is a tab I keep. When I know (or think) I've spelled something wrong, I check there AND I re-read what I've written - shit what is it called when you check someone elses suff? directing? re-reading? dictate? You know, what a book editor does? Oh, edit that's it. Now I can erase all the other stuff but then you wouldn't know how I had to come up with the stupid word. Now I have to go back and edit this entry...

made five, no six now seven (shit) spelling/typing errors...geez