Transpositions, words out of context, spelling and grammar errors?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Titus, Jun 25, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Titus

Titus New Member

I think my main problem is the letters and numbers "jumping." Now that I teach my whole load online, my computer time has increased significantly. One of the things that generated concern was when I read a sentence with one of the words (through thorough, or thought) I had to slow way down to see which word was used.

I'm doing everything on a 27 inch iMac so letter size and definition are definitely not issues. I think it's just my bouncy eyes.

Thanks for the comments.

I did the test for alzheimers and an IQ test just to put my fears to rest :D

2. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

3. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

My short-term memory has always been crap, yet I can watch a movie one time and repeat the dialogue for months afterwards. I wish I knew how to control that.

However, I have noticed that I've recently become less sharp when it comes to remembering people's names. I used to be able to recite the names of every actor on any show made between 1980 and 2000, yet in the last year or two I have a real tough time recalling names and they often escape me altogether. I don't know how much of it is MM versus I just have and retain more important information today than I used to.

4. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Memory's a funny thing. When asked the question 'do you have a good memory?' what does that even mean? I can tell you the phone number I had when I was eight years old, favourite passages from books I read 20 years ago, describe an entire cool outfit I saw someone wear yesterday but the work I did last week or what I had for dinner last night? No chance.

5. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

This is worst for me when I'm working on a case. If it is an active case -- especially during trial -- I am immersed up to my eyeballs in the medicine involved and can recite every page of evidence off the top of my head. But ask me the details of the case a week after it either settles or there has been a verdict at trial? I'll probably recall less than 50% of it.

6. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

Yes, any number divisible by 9 is easily transposed. 18/81, 27/72, 36/63, etc. right on up the line. So, here lately, my mathematics and spelling are still okay, just seems to come naturally to me. But...... seems when I'm typing, or to be "correct", keyboarding, I leave out words like do or be, short words. Usually articles of speech, prepositions, etc.
    Oh hell, the rain just started, high wind, and it's hailing! I'm outta here! Nite all.

7. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

One last thought...... fire and brimstone too, major lightning storm going, gotta unplug everything and cover my head with a pillow. Nite again!

8. June-

June- New Member

Why is 18/81 more easily transposed than 28/82 ?

9. Angelea

Angelea New Member

OMG, yes! I just wrote something on another thread, reread it before posting just for this reason. Thought I had made all the corrections, posted, went back and saw I added the wrong suffix and wrote the same word twice in one sentence separated by another word. And I just had to backspace about 10-15 times while (add one more) typing this.

10. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

And you're on the other side of the desk. Try giving evidence, months or even years after an event. Thank God for contemporaneous notes!

11. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

Okay, I'm back, the storm is winding down some. Electricity was out for about a half hour. The wind has let up, now just a heavy downpour. I had a hunch this would happen, was only about 83 this afternoon but the air was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Back to number transposition. I don't know the why or the wherefore of it June, but they just are. Maybe it's something in the brain. I don't need to know, they just are. 18 and 81 are both divisible by 9. 28 and 82 are not. Pick any number divisible by 9, turn it's digits around, and that number is also divisible by 9. It is a common accounting error, one I've made before in my work.

Now, your example of 28 and 82. I could look for numbers that they are both are divisible by, 2 is an obvious one since they are both even numbers, but not tonight. It's late and I really should go to bed since the storm scare seems to be passing on by. Gee, the street light just went out, again. Might be a long night.

Oh, and I can spell supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. I don't think I'll ever forget that one.

12. gert157

gert157 New Member

chrisj.
    0our comment about transposing numbers and being divisible by 9 is correct...... When I first became a bank teller years ago that is a trick my manager taught me...I have used it many many times...........

13. chrisj

chrisj Guest

;) ;)

14. gert157

gert157 New Member

Yes indeedy!!! Numbers, words all that stuff are very tough these days....... I play tricks in my head, maybe its good for me don't know, but when in bed I will type on the computer in my head.....I look at it like an exercise for my poor "thick" brain.....
    What I've noticed is I can't come up with a certain word, that's my biggest struggle....So frustrating!! Not necessarily even a hard word, it just doesn't come..........Numbers is kind of a thing with me.....No gray areas, the checkbook either balances or does not, if not I will search until I find it...When I do find the error, super rewarding..... How boring is my life?? I get a real thrill out of making that old checkbook balance to the penney..sigh..............
    Whatever, I do what I do........
    I refuse to think I will never be as sharp as I once was, I still have hope for a least a cause for this son of a b!#@&!!!!!!!!! I figure if a true cause can be found the cure can't be far behind.... (don't ruin my fantasy guys, please!!!!!!!!) A girl can dream right??? I gotta have hope or I got nothin'.

15. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Memory comes in many forms. Long term, short term, explicit, implicit, working, autobiographical, sensory - visual , auditory etc. As does IQ.

I'm awful with names for example. However I can recognise & recall the 30 second conversation, the behaviour or the personality of that "face" & its expression at that "place" 12 years ago. Just don't ask me to remember his/her name or the name of the location.

Street names, too. Very average. Tell me what it looks like, or the vibe/atmosphere of the environment & I'm there in a flash.

I have a friend, quite the nut case though a good friend nonetheless, who's absolutely amazing with numbers. Give this guy a 15 digit number while his distracted & ask him to recall it 5 hours later & he can do so effortlessly. Ask him about the personality of his ex wife of 4 years & he'll struggle. Though he will recall her bra size & phone number if not her entire teledex.

Regarding MD or MAV decreasing ones ability in certain areas & dependant of the degree & area which is effected, I'm thinking other areas of ability or behaviour tend to compensate for the loss of the other. My sense of smell, for example, has sky rocketed ever since my hearing began to fluctuate, my tendency to double check whether or not I locked my car & my ability to grunt while foggy is now superb..

Random question - Is there a 'see where I’m quoted' feature on Menieres.org?

16. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Hope is everything.

17. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Hope is a construct that lessens the pain and fear.

18. gert157

gert157 New Member

Intrepid,
    I don't understand your definition of hope either, its an illusion?? I don't get it...... Hope to me is real, very real... Its kinda like faith in that it is something you cannot see, but beyond a shadow of a doubt it exsists, its believing in something you cannot see, its not tangible but none the less real........

19. June-

June- New Member

We all interpret these things differently. The idea that we understand how others interpret them is an illusion.

20. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

Hmm, I disagree. I mean, I don't think we can understand how everyone interprets everything but I don't think that it's an illusion to think that you can understand how a person interprets something.