Transpositions, words out of context, spelling and grammar errors?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Titus, Jun 25, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Titus

Titus New Member

I've been doing the above more often. I'm sharp in other ways and my memory is good, so I think it must be a combination of the condition and medication.

Anyone else feel stupid?

2. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

3. June-

June- New Member

I've been doing this all my life. I 'see' some really funny headlines on first glance. I have even drawn maps for people that are mirror images of reality. I transpose numbers all the time. I think some of us are born transposing things. Somehow I managed to have all this entertainment without it interfering with my learning ability. Who knows. I wouldn't worry about it. I do notice as I get older when I make a mistake out of haste or carelessness that I tend to wonder 'is this it? Am I losing it?' But when I think back honestly, I know I did the same things when I was 20 and 40, I just didn't worry about it being Alzheimer's, I just cussed myself out, felt embarrassed and carried on.

4. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

Yup and getting worse daily

5. vanisdizzy

vanisdizzy Im sorry we met here, but glad to meet you.

Not only do I feel stupid I went to the mirror and sure enough there it was a large "S" on my forehead.

6. So Cal Cyclist

So Cal Cyclist View Askew

It is a common cognitive symptom of vestibular disorders. You are NOT stupid. Don't let these symptoms affect how you see yourself or define who you are. You were smart enough to find this forum, weren't you?

7. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

DuuuAAA,,What he said

8. burd

burd New Member

I can't remember crap like I use to. My spelling has suffered. My short term memory is terrible. I too often struggle to find words to finish a thought or sentence. I don't know how much to blame on MAV, years of stress, or hormones. Likely all 3.

9. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

What about words like senf*ckingsational? Can you find them OK?

10. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

I think it happens to everyone.

The other day I couldn't remember the word for spoon - small metal shovel, puts food in the mouth, lives in the kitchen...

Lady at work said - the food made from pastry, that part of of England... (Cornish pasties).

11. chrisj

chrisj Guest

There is a cool book:

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat

It's a collection of essays, dealing with brain dysfunction. A very interesting read.

12. chrisj

chrisj Guest

An old accountant told me a trick once. If your ledgers don't balance, first check to see if the amount is divisible by nine. If so, then you have most likely made a transposition error.

13. Diagnosed05-31-11

Diagnosed05-31-11 New Member

Yeah, thank goodness for spell check :)

Been forgetting more and more.

14. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Spell check is no good. Not for English, anyway.

It doesn't do context, it likes American spellings, and it wont pick up when you've actually used the wrong word, but spelt it right.

If I had a dollar for every paper I've read with spell checked errors in it.....

15. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

More than stupid - at times I think I must be developing dementia. I can no longer balance my checkbook and to think that as a paralegal I used to calculate figures for real estate closings without a computer program. I used to be excellent at spelling, now I really have to think and even then I know words are misspelled. When I write checks to pay bills I now have to go over them very carefully to make sure I have the correct date and amount. It's hard to accept that this is now my life and I will never be mentally sharp again.

16. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

You do have a choice.

Sure, you can accept that this is now your life.

Or not.

There are known causes of dementia and of "brain fog.". Have you ruled them all out?

http://www.aging-parents-and-elder-care.com/Pages/Age_Dementia_Symptoms.html#Aging%20/%20Elder%20Symptoms

Recent memory loss. Everyone forgets things for awhile, but remembers them later. Dementia patients often forget things, and never remember them. They might ask the same question repeatedly, each time forgetting that you already answered it. They don't even remember they already asked the question.

Difficulty performing familiar tasks. Patients might cook a meal but forget to serve it. They might even forget cooking it.

Problems with language.Dementia patients may forget simple words or use the wrong words, making it hard to understand what they want, causing an outburst of anger directed at the person they're talking to.

Time and place disorientation. Patients may get lost on their own street, forgetting how they got to a certain place and how to get back home.

Poor judgment. Anyone might get distracted and forget to watch a child closely for a short time. Dementia patients might forget about the child and just leave the house for the day.

Problems with abstract thinking. Anyone might have trouble balancing a checkbook from time to time; dementia patients can forget what numbers are and how to use them.

Misplacing things. Patients may put things in the wrong places — an iron in the freezer or a wristwatch in the sugar bowl. Then they can't find them later.

Changes in mood. Everyone is moody occasionally, but patients may have fast mood swings, going from calm to tears to anger in just minutes.

Personality changes. Patients may have drastic changes in personality, often becoming irritable, suspicious or fearful.

Loss of initiative. Patients may become passive, not wanting to go places or see other people.

Important Note: Even if your loved one has some of these problems, they may not have Alzheimers. Many treatable health conditions have the same signs. Among them are:

--Prescription drugs interactions and side effects
    --The combined effect of weight loss/gain and medications
    --Dehydration
    --Vitamin B12 deficiency
    --Falls and concussions
    --Depression
    --Alcohol use

Are you on diuretics, for example, which cause dehydration?

Might you have B12 deficiency that was missed by testing? One can have normal serum B12 but be deficient in either folate or intrinsic factor, either of which would cause functional B12 deficiency. And US doctors don't realize that, or that B12 deficiency occurs at serum levels below 500, and won't treat for anything over 200, while in Japan (which has the lowest rate of Alzheimer's in the developed world), doctors treat for anything under 650.

Or are you on any medications that could have subtle neurological side effects?

I would even wonder if whatever causes cervicogenic vertigo reduces blood flow to the brain just enough to slightly impair cognitive function. Would intensive exercise address this? Or even caffeine? (taking it, not eliminating it!)

17. June-

June- New Member

Don't overlook meds etc that you may be taking. I once had a medicine (I was in my 30's and no mm) which had a tiny bit of phenobarbital in it to counter something else in the medicine. During the time I took that, I was great with people but faced with a column of numbers I would just laugh.

18. Titus

Titus New Member

Yep.

19. Titus

Titus New Member

Well, I'm a CPA and I do teach my students the tricks to find transpositions and slides. I remember just after the vertigo hit for the first time. I was still teaching in a traditional classroom. It was a night class and I was tired. I started writing something on the board and I couldn't remember how to spell ASSET!!!!! The students thought I was joking.

20. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Bluff them. I used to be an English teacher despite being a fairly average speller.

- Aha! Well done! You spotted my deliberate mistake. Top of the class!
    - Can anyone tell me where the spelling errors are in this tesxt?

Etc.