Topic removed from a church Facebook page.

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Chris0515, Oct 5, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. studio34

studio34 Guest

Man = the product of evolution and star dust
    God/s = invented by man to explain the unknown and serve as an antidepressant when life deals a shitty hand
    Church organisation = created by man
    Church = bricks, mortar, wood and plaster

2. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Chris - re your original post. Yeah, that is a disappointing outcome. Shutting down discussion does seem to defeat the purpose of a Facebook page - unless they just wanted it to be a bulletin/notice board?

3. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

No there was other discussions going on but it was amongst church members, and the topics were all discussing different sermons they heard and that church.

4. June-

June- New Member

Somebody once told me my expectation was like going in to a McDonalds and ordering a pizza. I think your expectation of this church is like that.

5. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I don't really care about the church and I haven't attended a service at any church since 2004, but I do still know a few people that go there and was just trying to kick up a good solid discussion before the powers that be there took it down.

6. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Dude you've already established you're this awesome atheist and great mocker of God or anything spiritual, and when we all die one of two things are gonna happen: a) if we as christians/believers are correct then you'll end up in hell where you deserve to be and everything will balance itself out, or b) if non believers are correct then we will all be worm food and all the lights will go out and nobody will know what happened or what hit em.

*Note: I only use the term "if" for your benefit and to respect your beliefs on posts like this* ;)

7. Cara

Cara New Member

I'm with you on this one Chris, I have a strong faith but stepped back from attending church services. Our preacher's daughter became pregnant at 16, one couple left the church due to this. Then, one of my daughter's friends came out that she was gay.......well my oh my that turned out huge issues, she was an outcast after that. This girl had a strong faith and attended church every Sunday for as long as I had known her. I would walk into a store and see church members buying lottery tickets and when they would notice that I saw them they would try to hide the tickets and ask me not to tell anyone, so on and so on.
    But like you Chris, I now basically walk on my own with God. I attend every so often, mainly with my husband's parents because they so enjoy the services and I so enjoy time with my inlaws.

8. June-

June- New Member

exactly. They didn't want a good solid discussion.

9. Bluesky

Bluesky New Member

I don't really post here all that much any more. But I give credit where it is due and Studio's comment is spot on in my mind.

To hear anyone here say I and other non-believers will go to hell for talking down on God. Then well you really need to see a quack.

10. Titus

Titus New Member

Cara,

I can really relate to what you're saying. Until the people in the church stop doing God's job (judging) and start doing His creation's job (loving one another and loving God) then traditional churches of today will lose members.

The early church had no buildings. The body of Christ gathered together for fellowship and teaching. Everyone contributed what they had and took what they needed. They were full of joy and hope.

If we can get that outside a church wall, that's what we need to do.

God bless,

Kim

11. studio34

studio34 Guest

You forgot to mention that there are a myriad of things that could happen if you take all of the world's other hundreds of religions and worldviews into account. There isn't just the Christian point of view. Had you been born elsewhere such as the Middle East or Asia, you would have adopted a different belief system.

12. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Hey Scott, looks like you climbed out of your bomb shelter. Glad you are ok.

13. studio34

studio34 Guest

Hi Hank -- all is well. Sometimes it's good to "check out" for a while ... it's a bit like The Hotel California this place. You can never leave. ;)

14. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I actually don't even know this pastor and he doesn't know me because that was 6 years ago, and I only attended about 3 services there total. And those examples are not the same Sarita because we are talking about me wanting two types of believers to try and get along, as opposed to two people on completely opposite ends with a believer and non-believer being married and possibly having issues with it down the road.

15. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Yep he sure does, and I wanna try and break that mold of where you can be taken seriously as a christian or believer wether you go to church or not.

16. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Chris, I think as long as you are comfortable in your beliefs that is all that matters. I don't think you will find a mainstream church leadership who will condone you not attending church and walking with your god alone.

Why are you seeking a congregation that you don't belong to for validity of your Christianity?? Who are the people that you think don't take your Christianity seriously??

17. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I still have a couple of friends at that particular church, and I wanted to see if I could open a few eyes there if I had the platform to do it - and not have it deleted.

18. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Why don't you go to church Chris? Sorry if you have already posted this info and I missed it.

Do you not miss the weekly fellowship with your fellow Christians?

19. June-

June- New Member

Chris, don't you see that you are opening eyes to the idea that a person doesn't necessarily need a church and thus threatening their loyal following? Churches need loyal supporting members or they cannot fill the pews and pay the bills. They can't exist with everyone doing their own thing like you do. To them, your idea was a threat and they didn't want you using their own facebook page to peel off members. You can do that on your own facebook page.

20. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

It's a looooong story that involves church scandals, finger pointing, hipocrites, etc, that I experienced at two different churches over a 10 year period that caused me to walk away permanently in 2004. And my father is a eucharistic minister and a devout christian, so are my next door neighbors, and two of my best friends, and then I have a co-worker that I talk to all the time who is a youth minister at his church. So that is all the fellowship that I need right there that is constantly at my fingertips without ever going to church.

And June; yes you are right and they probably do feel that way about it, but I just want church goers to stop all the judging and finger pointing towards non-members because it turns alot of people off and drives them away from church and not towards it.