Tinnitus and masking devices

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Anubis, Oct 8, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Anubis

Anubis Take a walk on the Wild Side

I recently bought myself a radio thingy that plays various sounds ie rainfall, waves, stream etc to help mask my tinnitus at night. Trouble is I am having trouble adapting to the sounds! The heartbeat is just plain spooky, while the stream makes me want to dash to the toilet :-\. The rain and waves are quite pleasant, but I am wondering if I will ever get used to using this. Has anyone else ever used these types of "noise makers" and if so, how did you find them?

Thank you!! :)

2. abra

abra New Member

My husband bought me a clock radio thing that has about 12 different sounds. I play it all day long, it sits on the floor next to me. It does help. I find the waterfall one best, followed by thunderstorm. I think it's because I have so little hearing in the low tones and those two have low tones that I feel like it's filling out what is missing. I really like it, and suggested a portable one for my upcoming birthday.

It only took me a couple of days to get used to it. I don't use it at night however... I use a fan then.

3. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Hi Anubis,

I use a cd of waterfall sounds at night and like Abra, it only took a couple of days to get used to it. I did however also try buying a radio with built in sounds in an attempt to save my cd player from over-use. I had to take it back to the store for a refund though. The sounds built into this particular machine all used a higher frequency and the sound loop was every 7 secs or so....it drove me crazy and I couldn't get used to it all. I've also checked out other nature cd's and some of them really bother me (and my hyperacusis). I've now decided that I need to be very very picky with what sounds I listen to at night. Could that maybe be some of your issue as well? This one cd that I listen to is perfect and even my partner finds he sleeps better with it on (although it does make me want to run to the bathroom at times) ::).

Amethyst

4. Anubis

Anubis Take a walk on the Wild Side

Ahhhhhh! Sound loop! I think thats what the problem could be. I was listening to it last night and realised the sound is repeated every few seconds (if you know what I mean!) Its like a record being stuck - theres no..... flow(?!)

Thank you!

5. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

You can try a "white noise machine", that worked wonders for me when i had the tinnitus. I still use it every night. It sounds like a fan on low, they use them in pediatric wards in hospitals for babies to help them sleep. Even some doctors offices use them now i've noticed to sooth waiting rooms.

Mya

6. gerg

gerg New Member

Hi Linda

I tried listening to cd's of variuos sounds such as waves, windchimes, babbling brook, rain, wind, jungle sounds, classical music, heartbeat etc....
    Some of these I found really annoying but the sound I found most stimulating was surf. I had to imagine lying on the beach while the surf came in but I did help.
    I also tried my own music but found it kept me awake because I liked listening to it and rapped along with it.
    Also tried a radio tuned to static which is'nt bad.
    But the best I found is the sound of the fish tank we have in the living room.
    For around $20 you could buy a pump and put the tube and nozzle into a suitable container of water.

Incidently I was in Perth about 3 months ago and I loved it. Clean city, nice friendly people and great weather. Unfortunately the Magpies lost to the Weagles but we'll get em next year!

regards
    greg

7. Amethyst

I love that idea Greg.

8. gerg

gerg New Member

works for me Ame.
    Is that a malamut or border collie?
    greg

9. Amethyst

She's a border collie/huskey mix - very sweet girl