Thinking of retiring

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Artlover, Oct 28, 2013.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Artlover

Artlover it's a crazy world.

Hi all,

I am thinking of retiring and thought I would get some input here. I have been at my job for 20 years, and it has been very rewarding. I can afford to retire but I am only 50. But I have my art and a ton of art projects that I want to do. I also just adopted a cat so he brings me a lot of joy. My MM is really starting to take a toll on me and the fatigue is so tiring. If I retire, I could excercize more, eat better, etc. Now, I have a long commute and I am just exhausted at the end of the day. I am not sure if I am just going through a slump or if I am really ready. I have an appt on Friday to talk to retirement dept. Has anyone else gone through this? It feels strange that this day really might finally have come. I just feel bored here and ready for something else. Thanks for any input.

xo Sally

2. June-

June- New Member

I retired at 54 not due to medical reasons. I would say, it costs a lot more to be retired than you think. Unless you are very well heeled, i would wait a few years if possible.

3. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

Hi Sally, the other night on the national news, they had a story of a woman, that was one of the original ribbitors from WW2, still working at the age of 93. She started at 69 cents an hour and makes over 40 an hr now. She said that the job gave her a purpose and structure. She could have retired years ago, but loves what she does. If you don't like your job, get another one. June is right, money seems to fly out the window when you have time to spend it. A job, in my opinion, can keep a person's mind off of the way they may feel. I contract work at a retirement home and spend a lot of time talking to older women who do not have much to do. The ones that still hold on to part time work, seem to be the happiest to me.

4. Artlover

Ok, thanks for your input all, very helpful.

5. June-

June- New Member

I should add, i retired at 54 but went back to work since then as a part time Consultant, twice. Three days a week rocks! Just when you get fed up with the place, it is thursday and your 4 day weekend is coming up. And also, modern business being what it is, as a consultant, i got paid more part time than i got full time as an employee. Go figure. Any chance you can swing something like that? Now i am 65 and i am really retired. I wouldnt mind the income though ...

6. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

I am 51 and can retire in just over 3 years. I am seriously considering going for it. I want to retire while I still have relatively good health and energy to do all of the travelling I would like to do. I also have a lot of hobbies that I would like more time to work on. The decision is ultimately yours but if you decide not to retire, perhaps a workplace shift is in order.

A longer than usual vacation (maybe 5-6 weeks) might provide you with the opportunity to try things on for size.

7. Artlover

Thanks, Andrea.

Sally

8. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

I was medically retired in Dec. 2011 ... not my choice. I'm 49 and really miss my work-life and friends even though my co-workers say I'm crazy to miss working there :D

I'm seriously considering getting a part-time job to continue that part of my life and have the satisfaction of doing a days work. :)

9. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I agree with Dolfan. It really depends on what plans you have for the rest of your life and how productive you can be without a job to go too.

I have lots of interests. I adore studying and learning new things, traveling, being creative, and exercising. My job gets in the way of my life! Retirement, for me, would be, exciting living.

If you can find ways to be excited with the free time you will have then I say go for it.

10. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

I retired at age 54 because I was ready to and I have more than enough money even tho I am on a fixed small income. Stay within your means and money doesn't have to be an issue.

Retiring was the best thing for me. I can do what I want when I want and there are not enough hours in the day.

We are all different and what is good for me may not be what is good for someone else, but my horrendous Meniere's settled down considerably after I retired and had the time to look after myself better.

Good luck to you Artlover, whatever you decide.

11. Titus

Titus New Member

I am 58 and holding out until 62 for financial reasons. I'll get a nice pension and collect early Social Security. I have a variety of interests but the most important thing for me is the freedom and quality of life retirement will bring. I have already unloaded part of my job (administrative part) and that will be finished June 30. Then I will have a good break in the Summer and my main job will be teaching and curriculum development/design. I hope my plan works out.

12. Artlover

Thank you all. Your comments have really helped a lot. I am not sure what I will do but I have a better sense now of what is and what isn't. xo

13. Titus

Titus New Member

I think most people with chronic health conditions do better without work-related stress but only if their finances permit. It's a good topic.

14. Artlover

I go back and forth with this. I think my health would improve if I had more time to rest, excercize. On the other hand, I would have more down time and that isn't good either. Plus I really do like my job most of the time, I am just sick of the commute.

15. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

I hate driving too. It can be very stressful

16. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

I retired two years ago and it was the worst decision I made. I miss my job because I loved my work. Retirement was fun and exciting for about the first 6 months, after that, it was a drag. I've since gone back to work part time, but I really wish I had waited and thought it through more carefully.

17. Halos

Halos New Member

i would love to retire and just travel.

18. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Me too. I don't like being in one place for too long. There is so much to see out there.