Thanksgiving at Moms

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by ephillipsme, Nov 19, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. ephillipsme

ephillipsme New Member

Ok, I am taking the kids to Grandma and Pop's for Thanksgiving. She is well aware of my condition and doesn't cook with salt and tries to accommodate as best she can without making the meal to bland. What are the things I should stay clear of, Stuffing is pretty obvious, any others?

2. Sally Forth

Sally Forth Guest

before you deprive yourself, do you know for sure that salt is an issue for you? For lots of us, it doesn't affect our Meniere's.

3. jrw

jrw New Member

If your mom cooks from scratch and doesn't use much salt, there may not be much of an issue. I make stuffing without salt and gravy without salt. The prepackaged stuffings have all the salt in them. The prebasted turkeys you need to watch out for so just try a small slice at first. I get the Amish or organic turkey so there's no added salt there. Drink lots of water if needed, as long as it's not the softened variety.

4. jrw

jrw New Member

So, how did your Thanksgiving dinner go?

5. ephillipsme

ephillipsme New Member

All was well, Turkey, squash, mashed potatoes, Stayed clear of the rolls and stuffing and a carrot soufflé my sister brought (more than just not knowing the ingredients) all and all everything was pretty good.

6. Seattlekidz

Seattlekidz New Member

Like Sally, salt has no impact on my MM. Too bad we can't all have the same symptoms and triggers; might making finding a cure easier.

7. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Salt is a big issue with me and I try and watch my intake as much as possible, but I have to confess that at Thanksgiving I just said screw it and went a little overboard with it all over my turkey and mashed potatoes - and maaaaan did I pay for that later with some intense ear ringing.

8. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member