Stabbing Pain on side of head....

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by jparenteau59, Oct 9, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. jparenteau59

jparenteau59 New Member

Has anyone experienced stabbing pain, lasting one second, on the side near the top of the ear? It starts just behind my left ear, and travels downward along the skull. I have these about 20 - 30 times a day. My neurologist thought it was a migraine at first, but now thinks it's a form on neuralgia. She wants me to start a drug called Lyrica, which is a anti seizure drug. I have had lots of tests done. There is no tumor,or artery problem. Any thoughts anyone? Jeanne

2. Rumi

Rumi New Member

It` s happened to me lots of times. It`s neuralgia. When it happens I take a drug called neuralgin /a combination of Metamisol and vit B1,B6,B12/for a day or two and it stops.

3. lizzyD

lizzyD New Member

I believe the pain you describe is called 'ice-pick pain'. It is neurological so my consultant told me. I suffer with it a lot, especially around my ear and eye where I had shingles. It is sometimes so acute that I actually shout out. There are medications the doctor can give you if it is really frequent and troublesome,

Liz

4. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

I have bizarre pains, twitches, numbness problems. That is why they put me on Neurontin. It is very similar to Lyrica. Will try Lyrica if things don't continue to improve.

5. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

Hi Lizzy! :)

yes, I get that sometimes. It sure is a sharp pain. Thankfully I get it rarely.
    Paul

6. daisycow

daisycow Moo to you, too.

Yes, I get it often, usually behind my left eye. It lasts for just a few seconds but is strong enough to make my eye water. Until I read your post, I'd never even thought of it being connected to MM.

Liz.

7. Spinner

Spinner New Member

I had a similar pain a few years back and it turned out to be Shingles. It lasted about 4 weeks. I was sure glad when it finally subsided.

8. 2DAMNDIZZY

2DAMNDIZZY New Member

Yes, I have had these "stabbing pains" on and off for years. Several years ago, I was having them so bad that if they occurred I would drop anything I was holding in my hands. My doctor said they are called "ice-pick headaches" (which would describe the pain exactly)!!!!

Maggie