SS thread locked

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Irelandman, Jan 3, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Taximom, remember, Batman only comes when he is summoned too. That is not uncommon for Superheroes. Underdog was never slow when Sweet Polly was in trouble. But Sweet Polly had to summon him first, and then..."It's pip, pip, pip, and away I go!" So this is perfectly natural. Maybe you should pay attention to more cartoons and comic books.

2. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

I can't figure out what is so nefarious about posting on threads that others started.

I can't figure out why some of you who have your own remedies that you discuss and suggest to everyone who will sit still and listen are so negative about Stephen Spring.

I can't find where he solicited anything. Please , detractors, show where he did that.

I don't understand what the problem is if some people want to ask SS questions.

I don't have celiac disease or B12 deficiency, I wouldn't spend one dime on NUCCA, but I think those of you who believe in these remedies and constantly suggest them to others have the right to do so without interference from skeptics.

All the sarcasm and attempts at humour weaken your credibility.

3. Chipmunk

Chipmunk New Member

LOL. Nice try. Nothing has been established.

4. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Stephen - how would kilodalton68 being positive show that autoimmune inner ear disease (AIED) is present? All symptoms being equal to Meniere's in this case.

By the way, I really enjoyed sids entry in the original version of this topic - very eloquent

Thanks INS for the info from the first deleted topic. I read all 37 pages!!

5. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Thanks - I was actually thinking more along the line of - are you aware of any developments in differential diagnoses for the various vestibular disorders and new treatments?

6. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but one thing Stephen has said is that you can't be sure you are treating the "right" virus if you simply take acyclovir or famvir without doing the fancy virus testing he recommends. Another member here (Capsized) had a discussion with Dr. Gacek about this that may be of interest to others here:

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,30398.msg563771.html#msg563771

I am sure if Dr. Gacek (one of the doctors who regularly prescribes antivirals for Meniere's) thought it was necessary to do special tests, he would do them as a matter of routine for his Meniere's patients.

7. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Jordan - thank-you. When you speak, you make it so easy to understand what takes some people many words of difficult verbiage to say.

8. June-

June- New Member

The thing is, antivirals do work for a lot of us and they are life changing. They are much less hard on the body than many other meds that are routinely prescribed such as steroids and which often do not work. They do not have many of the risks of diuretics which often do not help but are prescribed indefintely even when they aren't helping and which occasionally do bring about life threatening situations which several people on this board have experienced. Unfortunately, it is very common for doctors not to do the lab work needed to make sure the electrolytes are in a safe range.

It would be nice to have not only the resources but also the knowledge to be able to identify whether an antiviral or any other drug or surgical intervention was going to help before we tried it. The state of the art is not there yet. If it were, I doubt that the funds available would justify testing for everything before trying even a simple relatively low risk drug such as the antivirals.

My suggestion to anyone suffering who has not yet tried antivirals is to work with your doctors to make sure you have no special risk in using antivirals. If you don't have a special situation which makes them risky for you, try them and see if they work for you. Then write Stephen and tell him whether they worked or not. Perhaps he can then pay for testing to see if it would or would not have predicted correctly the outcome and that will be valuable information for future studies. We don't yet know if the test results that we imagine would indicate a person would respond to antivirals do in fact correlate with people who respond favorably to antivirals. If we do testing and never prescribe antivirals unless a test result is a certain thing, we will never know if the test result parameters are good predictors, so following Stephen's advice we will never know more than we do now. One of the problems with a little bit of knowledge is we don't know what we don't know sometimes.

For instance, while I strongly suspected that my use of xalatan following a bad herpes infectino was involved in the emergence of the hydrops, I could not imagine how it might be and neither could my doctors. The other day, shortcake posted that a study had shown that xalatan reawakens the herpes virus in the eye. Now all the sudden, things start to fall into place. In a few years much more will be known. Meantime, I am going to take antivirals as needed, since they work for me, regardless of the fact that how and why and when they work is not fully understood or predictable. Just because scientists don't yet understand something does not mean it is not so. In fact, that's one of the dumbest attitudes out there in my opinion, that failure to prove something is so, is the same as proving it is not so.

9. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

June:
    "Just because scientists don't yet understand something does not mean it is not so. In fact, that's one of the dumbest attitudes out there in my opinion, that failure to prove something is so, is the same as proving it is not so."

Atta girl!! :D

10. June-

June- New Member

There are a lot of people here who have been helped by allergy treatment. That is a form of immunology is it not?

11. Angelea

Angelea New Member

12. Angelea

Angelea New Member

Like Derebery's work...

13. June-

June- New Member

You sure about all that ? I was told that allergic reactions while not thought to be the origin or the hydrops, did upregulate the immune system and exacerbate the immune system response.

There are many threads here about people who found great improvement from allergy treatment. The fact that the line of approach is not the same as yours does not mean it is not immunotherapy does it?

Whether it appears to you to be the same as what you have been reading about lately or not is not as significant to me as the fact that it has been very effective for me and others.

14. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

my brother swears by allergy treatments

15. Angelea

Angelea New Member

I took a graduate level course in immunology in college. VERY complex stuff, even at the most basic level. In fact, I don't think there is such a thing as "basic" immunology. Add a whole other dimension of complexity by layering on virology. YIKES!

Good work, Stephen. Clearly you know your stuff. Unfortunately most of us here have no ability to know if your conclusions are correct. But sounds good to me. I'd put money on you in Vegas. Lol!

16. Chipmunk

Chipmunk New Member

Ha ha ha ha ha! 1400 views so far. Does nobody see anything askew with this but me? Reminds me of political comments on news sites which I view often. One side or the other will sometimes try to tip the numbers. This guy is truly motivated.

17. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Maybe people are interested in the subject matter. I am.

18. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Keep the view numbers down - stop commenting! :D

19. Mystical Wombat

Mystical Wombat New Member

I think the conspiracy theories are getting a little tired, don't you think?

Love him or hate him, agree or disagree, this fellow has obviously read a few books.

It's interesting information. A change from crackpot wannabe theorists spouting endless verbiage.

In my opinion, of course..... ::)

20. Irelandman

Irelandman Guest

conspiracy theories or not, SS has massively increased the interest on number of views on here lately. this can only be a good thing for .org. fair play for sticking around even after all the conspiracy theories

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.