Sports thread!

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by bulldogs, Apr 13, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Sports thread.

I hate to say this, but the Cincinnati Reds scare me! They are killing people without Votto!

I think the best my Braves can do is a wild card----- pitching is way too inconsistent.

Nice to see the Pirates in contention!

I love baseball!

The hardest thing to do in all of. Sports is hit a baseball. If you hit .300 for your lifetime you may well be considered one of the games best. Where else in life can you fail seven out of ten times and be a superstar!

2. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

Re: Braves

Oh man BD the Reds are doing great this year....even with Votto on the DL. A lot of people started writing them off when he tore his meniscus and needed surgery but since he's been out of commission they've won 11 of their last 13 games and they're now 63 and 41 in the NLC division and their bullpen is smokin' this year.

They're playing the Padres right now and leading 8-4 top of the 5th.

I hope the Braves can hold on and secure a wild card slot for you. They've still got a really good chance! :)

3. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Re: Braves

Not many people know this but my secret hobby since I was a child, 7 or 8 years old has been collecting baseball cards.

I have bought a pack a week sometimes more since the age of 7 or 8. I store them in cases in the attic. I bet I have about 40-50 thousand sports cards. I don't even look at them except after opening hem and right to storage they go---- to be left with for the kids to continue my hobby I hope I pass on to them.

Does anybody else on the forum collect sports cards or autographs or anything.

The Angels are starting to get hot but Tezas will be tough to catch.

Reds= best record in all of baseball without their superstar! Good team! Quiet but lethal--- Same with the A's.

Go Braves!

4. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Braves win with some good pitching and timely hitting.

Chipper Jones is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Top 3 third baseman of all time- (Mile Schmidt, Chipper Jones and George Brett)

5. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Jason Heyward is on fire.

Go braves

6-1 win over the Phillies.

6. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

The Reds have lost their last 3 games......one to the Pirates and 2 to the Brewers. Boo hiss! They need to step it up a notch and win their last game against Milwaukee this afternoon then it's on to Chicago and a 4 game series against the Cubs. :)

7. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

As usual, my Giants have me keeping the tums on the nightstand! Why can't they get it together?

8. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Both will get to the playoffs I think.

I think the Pieates will fade.

Shart: I like the Giants---- Will Bonds get to the Hall of Fame--- it will be interesting.

9. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

They will never put Bonds in the Hall of Fame. Despite being one of the best players ever, even before steroids, his personalty is such that he is pretty much hated by everyone. Unfortunately, as is sometimes the case with these things, it's pretty political. Bonds couldn't be political to save his life. His mouth is too big. Case in point - McGuire got up before the grand jury and cried like a baby after his admission of guilt and everyone loves him. Bonds, ever the narcissist, refused to play the game. They're not after him because he used steroids, they're after him because he's a jerk and a show off.

10. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I have McGuires first baseball card and several more of his. As well, we have the original Beanie Baby Bear of his. It's a collectors item.
    I enjoy sports but I'm not going to contribute much here. I will say that things change with the media involved...you never know when the media or some promoter will take any sports player and make a fuss and end up getting what they want.
    Political, he'll yeah, just like Playground Politics!

11. Janice

Janice New Member

Ho hum I've said it before and I'll say it again ............ there aint no better game than the greatest game of all....... Aussie Rules. No padding, no helmets, hunky bodies, supreme aerobic athleticism, short shorts, the thump of body on body, the call of "ball" by the whole "G", the atmosphere of a big game, no set plays. The fact that my Sainters have missed the top 8 and won't be playing finals this year is sad. But as long as the bloody pies don't win I'll be happy.

I know most of you have nfi what I am talking about but I just thought I should add my 2 cents worth.

Maybe you should google AFL and have a look at a clip.

12. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

I was so happy to see the women's soccer team beat Japan for the gold after loosing to them in them in the World Cup final.

13. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Let's go Braves!

LuLu: Reds need to snap out of their funk, a good friend of mine is a die hard Reds fan. I can tell if they won the night before by his demeanor in he morning.

14. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Braves win: Jason Heyward and Dan Uggla both hit two run homers to beat the Mets 4-0.

Sitting on my portch smoking my first pipe and loving it, very relaxing!

Will do it until the novelty wears off and then throw it away.

Hoping the Diamondbacks can beat the Nationals tonight!

Phil Mickelson bought the San Diego Padres, interesting.

15. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

With Chipper Jones and Brian MCcann returning to the lineup tonight, the Braves beat the Meta 9-3. Good job Braves.

With my season Tickets to the Braves, Falcons and Georgia Bulldogs it is going to be a fun fun Fall in the Atlanta area for sports fan. I expect big things from the Falcons and Dawgs this fall and if the Braves can keep it up try may get a wild card!

Me and the 6 year old soon to be 7 are gong to have some fun weekends tailgating.

Go Braves, Falcons and Bulldogs!

My allegiance has left the Dolphins after being a 30 year fan to the hometown Falcons as the kids love the Falcons.

16. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

At the Gwinnett Braves----the Atlanta Braves triple A affiliate with my two sons. Just north of Atlanta about 45 minutes.

Tommy Hanson is pitching in a rehab start and he signed two balls for my boys before the game.
    Thank you Tommy!

17. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Braves lost----- will just have to regroup and get them tomorrow.

18. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

I think their slump may be over BD....at least I hope it is. They won 3 of their 4 games against the Cubs after being crushed by the Brewers. Votto is still out for another 7 to 10 days but he was looking pretty strong in practice the other day. Next up they play the Mets in a 3 game series at GABP.

I'm already having Olympics withdrawal. :D Looking forward to the Winter games in Sochi, Russia in 2014!

19. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Lulu-- me too! I loved the swimming and track and field so fast and exciting.

I was worried a little bit here yesterday about the basketball, but we pulled it out.

Bolt is an amazing athlete to win the 100m and 200m sprints in back to back Olympics is amazing and of course Phelps.

So happy for womans gymnastics as well.

20. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

BD, we really love minor league baseball! We live not too far from the Durham Bulls park and we take the kids every chance we get. It's a beautiful park and for $10 you can sit behind home plate. They do a nice job of getting the audience involved and do tons for the community. Sometimes my husband and I will even get away without the kids and make a night of it. It's fun.