spiritual and inspirational quotes

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Center' started by AmandaJ, Nov 14, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. AmandaJ

AmandaJ New Member

i remember Magenta used to post quotes so thought maybe give it a try

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.
    Lao Tzu

He who knows others is wise;
    He who know himself is enlightened.
    Lao-tzu

I have three treasures. Guard and keep them:
    The first is deep love,
    The second is frugality,
    And the third is not to dare to be ahead of the world.
    Because of deep love, one is courageous.
    Because of frugality, one is generous.
    Because of not daring to be ahead of the world, one becomes the leader of the world.
    Lao-tzu

Understanding unity helps to solve humanity's biggest challenges. There is no such thing as an isolated problem. By injuring any part of the world's system, you injure yourself. There is no such thing as a win/lose situation. Think of life on this planet in terms of systems and not detached elements. Broaden your field of vision and assimilate the knowledge you have. See that the environment does not belong to any single country to exploit and then disregard. You cannot afford to think of your relationship with the earth as a one-night stand. There's no such thing as a free glass of milk. It's time to buy the cow.
    Za Rinpoche

My Religion is simple; My Religion is kindness.
    Dalai Lama

2. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Love these Amanda... thank you

These kind of quotes really resonate with me and so effortlessly explain so many of the things that I feel.

Keep posting!!

3. AmandaJ

AmandaJ New Member

ty caroline.......i thought it would be nice now things are again at peace i love them and will try to post a few a day :)

4. June-

June- New Member

Good ones Amanda!

5. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

1 Corinthians 13:13,, Apostle Paul

13 Three things will last forever—faith, hope, and love—and the greatest of these is love.

6. June-

June- New Member

Ecclesiastes 3:1,2

To everything there is a season, and
    a time to every purpose under heaven:

A time to be born, and
    a time to die;

7. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature. Abraham Lincoln, closing lines of his first inaugural address

Amanda, I don't know you were so familiar with Taoism
    another great quote from Lao is
    there is nothing so yielding as water, yet nothing equals it for wearing down the hard

8. June-

June- New Member

You guys are stretching my mind tonight! That one really has me tripping over my feet.

9. June-

June- New Member

"I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in."

--- G W Carver

10. AmandaJ

AmandaJ New Member

;) jim i have read and come across a lot of different things that have inspired me over the last 5 years in the search to find out where my path lies.......and a lot that has helped me find the person i truly am ......always have been.... but through different struggles lost myself for a while and all of this along with realising i don't need a label to be happy ..........it's quite surprising how taoism links with a lot of stuff i already learnt and did before :) :) i studied shamanism which also has links to taoism.

The Way of Heaven is to benefit others and not to injure.
    The Way of the sage is to act but not to compete.

11. Jazza

Jazza Saved by Grace Thru Christ Jesus

2CO 1:3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 5 For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. 6 If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. 7 And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.

12. June-

June- New Member

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

--- John Muir

13. joy

joy New Member

"Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

14. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

Isaiah 40:31

31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

15. June-

June- New Member

Matthew 6:25-34

Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

16. Cara

Cara New Member

What a wonderful thread.........thank you!

17. AmandaJ

AmandaJ New Member

as i have missed a few days here are a few more quotes :)
    thankyou all for adding to this thread :)

Budda
    As the fletcher whittles and makes straight his arrows, so the master directs his straying thoughts.

Our theories of the eternal are as valuable as are those which a chick which has not broken its way through its shell might form of the outside world.

To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one's own in the midst of abundance

Therefore, be ye lamps unto yourselves, be a refuge to yourselves. Hold fast to Truth as a lamp; hold fast to the truth as a refuge. Look not for a refuge in anyone beside yourselves. And those, who shall be a lamp unto themselves, shall betake themselves to no external refuge, but holding fast to the Truth as their lamp, and holding fast to the Truth as their refuge, they shall reach the topmost height

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned

the last qoute i feel is important to a lot of people we are all guilty at some point of holding onto anger but it is not good for the soul...release...let go and breathe

18. June-

June- New Member

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.

--- Henry David Thoreau

19. AmandaJ

AmandaJ New Member

"The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it." (William James, 1842-1910, US psychologist and philosopher.)

"Lives based on having are less free than lives based either on doing or being." (William James )

"Be willing to have it so; acceptance of what has happened is the first step to overcoming the consequences of any misfortune." (William James.)

20. AmandaJ

AmandaJ New Member

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. ~Albert Einstein

One act of pure love in saving life is greater than spending the whole of ones time in religious offerings to the gods. - Dhammapada