spelt bread

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by dmac, Oct 3, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dmac

dmac my sweet Holly

??? Does anyone know if spelt bread is a good substitute for regular bread? It claims to have "no added wheat or gluten".
    I hope it's okay because i spent five dollars on a loaf and am eating some now.
    It has the look and feel of wheat bread.

2. Titus

Titus New Member

Is spelt gluten free?

6/13/2005
    Many folks ask if spelt is gluten free. There has always been confusion regarding spelt. Thanks to Ann Whelan, editor of Gluten-Free Living, it is clear that spelt is NOT gluten free.
    Spelt is a whole grain flour. Organic, unbleached spelt flour is the same grain with most of the bran (fiber) removed, and nothing added. Not to be confused with oats or wheat, spelt is a member of the same grain family but is an entirely different species. It is one of the original seven grains mentioned in the Bible. This 9000 year old grain originated in the Fertile Crescent and over the centuries found its way throughout Europe where it remained a very popular grain for hundreds of years. To Germans, it is their beloved "dinkel" and is now found in a wide variety of foods and beverages from bread to beer. To Italians it is called "farro" and is found in gourmet soups, pizza crusts, breads and cakes.

3. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

I tried it and hated it. Ezekiel bread is not as expensive and totally no sodium. Not too bad toasted when you are desperate to eat something that resembles bread. It is all sprouted grains.

dizzjo :D

4. Titus

Titus New Member

Are you looking for gluen free or lo-so, or both.

I find it much easier to make my own bread with flours from the health food store. Then I have complete control over what goes in......and boy are they good.....you can make several loaves and freeze them.

5. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Ditto to Titus's remarks.

I bought some spelt flour about 6 months ago to try it out. I was intrigued with the idea of eating something that existed many thousands of years ago. It is like sharing bread with my forefathers.

I thought it was similar to whole grain flour in taste and texture but more expensive. It definitely has gluten but probably not as much as whole grain.

Joe

6. abra

abra New Member

Titus, would you consider posting a recipe on the Lovely Kitchen board?

Thanks....

7. burd

burd New Member

I've been using spelt flour for years and I absolutley love it! It is healthy like wheat but milder with a slightly sweeter flavor. I like to mix it with unbleached white flour for biscuits. But it's great full strength just not as glutenous so your product will be a bit dense. You'll need to add a touvh more liquid than with white flours.
    And it is good for those that can't have wheat. And spelt pastas are great too.

8. tamarak

tamarak New Member

Yes, spelt is fun. And it didn't bring on a full attack when I had a spelt muffin the other day (thinking it was gluten free). BUT--since the symptoms of celiac disease present somewhat similarly to Menieres (with respect to dizziness, exhaustion...etc.) and because I am beginning to suspect that I don't actually have Menieres--just undiagnosed celiac disease--I'm staying away from it now.

T.

9. OnTheBorder

OnTheBorder New Member

I've spoken to a couple of pastery chefs that said they have always used spelt to create some of their best recipes. It's commonly used in a lot of bakeries around the world.

My wife started using spelt as a substitute for wheat to help control her fibromyalgia. I eat it when I can just because it feels healthier and improves just about all recipes, especially pasteries.

10. Ceeka

Ceeka New Member

If you are trying to avoid gluten, spelt isn't the bread for you. Some brands even contain msg which is a big no/no for some of us.

11. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Spelt certainly is not gluten free. I think Spelt is supposed to have more complete protein than other wheats. Kind of like Quinoa. If you are just looking for a decent lo so bread...try the Trader Joes No Sodium wholewheat or the Wolfs no sodium rye, a heavy dense european type rye. I find the Ezekiels way too fibrous, and I am a fiber eating freak! I find eating Ezkiels bread is like chomping on hay.

12. AshleysMom

AshleysMom New Member

The only gf bread my family will eat that is prepared is kinnikinnick tapioca loaf. Its pricey though but my husband doesnt care for it since it falls apart easily, my daughter loves it.

For recipes though I use this - http://www.recipezaar.com/190906

The many names of gluten are spelt, kamut, rye, oats (sometimes but I have celiac and react to them), triticale, wheat, barley, and bulgur. I think thats it ???

13. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest