shartsoe

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Intrepid, Apr 15, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Hey how's the C25K going?

2. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Hey there! Thanks for asking! Turns out my running shoes are in very bad shape so I'll need new ones. :(
    I'll probably pick some up this weekend but in the meantime I'll start walking.

3. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Make sure you get fitted for them at a good running store where they check your gait, strike, arch, etc. The shoes will be expensive but it will save you from many aches and pains that running in bad shoes can cause.

My last pair cost me $130....which is a lot for me but they are great shoes.

4. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

I have the Five Fingers shoes with the Vibram soles. I wear them all weekend no matter what i am doing. They are great for balance and building core strength.

5. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I find those uncomfortable. A lot of people find them good for running.

6. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

I am not a runner, I only walk. Takes a while to get used to, but they really do build proprioception, lower leg muscles. I can see why some people don't like them, but for piddling around the house on weekends they really do help with balance strength ect....

7. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

They say that one of the best indicators for success with health and fitness goals is a strong support system. By "outing" my goals here on .org, you've encouraged me to stick with it and get moving. Thanks Intrepid -- I appreciate the support! :D

8. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

We will keep each other accountable. Making some goals public is the best way to stick with them :)

I started training for a half this week and we'll see how it goes.

9. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

I have a friend that runs barefoot. he is 6'2", 190 and it kills me to see him hit the sidewalk, but he says he will never wear shoes. I need really good running shoes, I have knee issues.

Good luck, shartsoe and Intrepid with your running goals. Starting up running again was the best thing I have done for myself.

10. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Shan...went for a 4-mile run after work today with my running buddy. Did you get your steps in?

Rose I don't love running but since I can do some mileage now it would be a shame to quit :D Plus my running buddy won't let me quit! I like strength training a lot more and doing intervals but running is a good way to decompress and, for whatever reason, cardio helps my ears a lot.

11. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

I love running and I agree prior to my laby going out for a good run would relieve a lot of the pressure in my ear. I know you will be successful in the half.....then before you know it you will be training for a full. Watch out Shart it is addicting but in a good way. You will benefit more ways then one by making the commitment. Good luck!

12. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

You're right. It relieves a lot of pressure in my ears, face, sinuses. I just feel clear headed after a good run. I'm not sure why. Maybe the increased blood circulation?

13. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Thanks for the encouragement, Red. Can't wait to get started.

To be honest, I'm having a hard time keeping my commitment to myself. I tell myself it's because I'm so darn tired, even though I know in my head that my energy levels will increase if I just get started. Today I'll get my steps in. Check back with me later. :p

14. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Well? Did you get walking or what? :D

I went to the gym this morning and then got groceries done. Since it's a great day here, I'm going to sit by the pool for a couple of hours and take a nap. Then I meet a good friend for lunch. It's good to have the day off work.

Git movin' shartsoe!

15. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Yes! Ya know why? I got done with work and as going to take a nap. But I saw this message and thought "oh $hit, I can't say I haven't done it yet." So I got it done! Positive peer pressure works!

16. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I'm so glad you got it done!

When is the next time? Tomorrow? :D I have a big challenge on Sunday so you find one for yourself too.

17. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

It's raining here and I have a sick kid. Might try to make it to a local indoor track a little bit later. We'll see.

18. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

There is a walk away the pounds (Lisa Sansone) youtube video you can do at home if you are in your walking stage. It has 1 to 5 miles of walking, depending on how far you want to go. Might help you take a break from kiddos and rain without having to leave your home!

19. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Today: 1.8 miles in 30 minutes in a break from the rain. :)
    Good luck with your challenge tomorrow!

20. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Good job! I'm glad you decided to get out and move around. Helps to take a break from everything.

Will tell you more tomorrow if I get through my morning.