Science can answer moral questions

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by studio34, Oct 8, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. carnyard

carnyard New Member

It was in jest. I actually attend a Christian church even though I don't consider myself a Christian. I am a strong believer in God though and I go there because I enjoy and respect being around people who believe so strongly even if I don't agree with everything they believe. It is inspiring.

2. carnyard

carnyard New Member

I believe Jesus existed and I believe he was a great man, maybe even a manifestation of God because we had gone so of course as a species. But Jesus did not write the New Testament. It was written by men based on observations. Like any story, those observations get distorted the more you tell them. And certain accounts were purposely left out of the Bible because they conflicted and contradicted the accounts that were deemed worthy of inclusion. I believe if Jesus (God) wanted us to follow a book, why didn't he write one himself?

3. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Excellent point! Remove the room for human error.

4. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

The answer is in the Book to which you refer. If you really want to know then answer, rather than merely ask the question, you would do as I suggest.

5. carnyard

carnyard New Member

Henry,

I respect your beliefs and it is enough for me that you believe. We just should agree that we have two different pathways to our faith.

Carnyard

6. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Maybe Jesus had a (Holy) ghost writer?

7. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Maybe He did.

8. carnyard

carnyard New Member

There are many paths to the same place....

9. June-

June- New Member

Everyone wants to tell everyone else what to do. It's not about religion, it's about human nature and that isn't going to change anytime soon I don't think.

10. carnyard

carnyard New Member

Henry,

I have studied the Bible. Along with many other religions. If you have your answers there, then I am sincerely happy for you. I did not find the answers there, but I found them other places.

Carnyard

11. carnyard

carnyard New Member

Variety is the spice of life.

12. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

Here we go again :D

13. carnyard

carnyard New Member

You need to get your mind out of the gutter. This is a serious religious discussion we're having. ;)

14. carnyard

carnyard New Member

Nothing immoral or God would not have given us the ability to flirt...or given us the Internet.

15. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

And ruin the flow? I would violate guy code. Which may, or may not, have been handed down by God himself.

16. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Not to spoil the fun but doesn't each of us live with moral issues and values? I'll be the first to admit that some of them IMO are pretty rough -- killing your daughter becasue she was raped is a pretty rough one -- but then that's my morals kicking in. I did watch the video and found him to be logical and well spoken in his talk. Thanks Scott.

17. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Hollymum,

Actually talking about the video - yay! He IS an interesting speaker isn't he? Makes you think.

I think what he's saying, or at least this is what I took from it - is that we should look for a convergence on morality - a standard of what is OK and what is not. In the post modern world exists "moral relativism" which says that my morals are no better or worse than yours. What the speaker in the video was saying is is that where someone's "morals" are so extreme as honour killing (the first time I read about it I had to re-read it about three times to figure out what it was about as the reasoning is so bizarre - kill the victim - WTF?) then that is NOT ok. By any reasonable standard.

I'm not convinced I've made any sense in my post here - the guy in the video said it so much better!

18. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

No, you're making perfect sense. The only thing is we, as a race of people, will never come to agreement on what is moral and what is not. Even the worst of us (my mores again) has what they believe to be a logical and reasonable reason for doing what they did - no matter how horrible it was.

Just this religious topic on the whole, we beat each other down unmercilessly when the slightest bit of humor or different thought enters into the mainstream of the particular topic. Heck, I've done it myself!

Morals, we'll never all come to an understanding of what is right and wrong...