scary internet

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by gtrvox, Feb 16, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Dizzy Little Piggy

Dizzy Little Piggy OINK OINK

George,

It all has to do with attitude. There is no way you can relate diabetis to worrying. People can change their behaviors, believe it or not. I am sure a person like yourself would choose to not believe it though.

Piggy

2. nassman

nassman Guest

Agreed.

However, Dizzy Little Piggy, for some people it is difficult to change their behaviors. And when this becomes a chronic problem, they may develop a psychosomatic condition.

Psychosomatic disorder, now more commonly referred to as psychophysiologic illness, is an illness whose symptoms are caused by mental processes of the sufferer rather than immediate physiological causes. If a medical examination can find no physical or organic cause, or if an illness appears to result from emotional conditions such as anger, anxiety, depression and guilt, then it might be classified psychosomatic. The interaction between psychological factors and the immune system is studied in psychoneuroimmunology. Very often, psychosomatic illness is influenced by external factors or players. Severe stress caused by factors in work, relationship, and family are known to cause bowel illness and accompanying dehydration, stomach or headaches, nausea, incontinence, or loss of hair.

Somatopsychic illness is an illness where the mental and psychological processes of the sufferer are affected by physiological causes

I personally believe many on this site (and others such as this one) suffer from this condition.

3. nassman

nassman Guest

ummmm.....I have experienced, and discussed, the same 2-3 symptoms for the past 5 years. Shit happens. I have accepted my symptoms and have no made it my life's mission to find out what caused them nor do I obssess about what "might" happen down the road.

The difference between me and the many of the "others" is that I so often see posts on here with people complaining about every little irregular "hiccup" they experience and they attempt to make a correlation between that and their vestibular symptoms. I don't do that. Never have, never will.

All I am getting at is that I truly believe that the endless stress, effort, reserach, depression, and obsession many people place on getting an answer to their inner ear symptoms is what causes so many of other symptoms such as lightheadedness, headaches, tension, TMJ, etc., I am a firm believer of teh mind-body connection. All I was doing with my post is trying to conver that message.

4. Julie

Julie New Member

Well said Intrepid!...my daughter was misdiagnosed and treated for several years for panic attacks, until I said no more and asked if anyone had really looked at her MRI's lately. Turned out to be seizures from 2 growths in brain! It has taught me to question and learn from as many sources as possible and I'm grateful for all who sincerely try to help and share their stories here and support those like myself who are just trying to carry on. If he thinks we're all Psychosomatic, I'm not really sure why he would come here....Julie

5. nassman

nassman Guest

Ahem....

If you had read my posts CAREFULLY, you would have seen that I said that I believe many people on here present wih NEW symptoms, unrelated to their vestibular condition, beacuse of the worry, obssession, and hours on the internet they spend. I am not questioning the legitimacy of their meniere's, but rather, I am saying that they may be bringing many more symptoms upon themselves in their neverending quest to get answers and "talk to others" as you say.

The day I stopped reading and searching was the day I got exponentially better. I believe this, I am living it, and I will die believing it.

Now excuse me, it is an exceptionally warm night tonight and I am on my way out to enjoy it.....

6. paris 48

paris 48 New Member

Good Lord nassman,I have to actually agree with you on this one.I have stopped countless hours on the internet doing research and getting more scared by the minute.If something new comes up my Doc will tell me.I do read some posts on the forum but post very seldom.I am not in denial about my disease,but have stopped letting it consume me.I pushmow my lawn,work in my garden and live my life.And yes I do have severe bilateral MM,wich has left me homebound for weeks at a time.I just dont dwell on it anymore like I used to and it has helped me tremendously. :)

7. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

Very well said Intrepid. We all have done our research/homework on the internet, it's a grand tool. What matters is if you really do know how to interpret between the garbage and the good. That's where forums come in handy as this one. To listen to others who have "been there, done that" and absorb what you need to better your life living with Menieres.

You speak well, very refreshing post. ;)

mya

8. Dizzy Little Piggy

Dizzy Little Piggy OINK OINK

Just because he says "shit happens" does not mean that he say he will never attempt to try anything that might relieve his symptoms. I also say "shit happens" and I live with the fact that I have an uncurable disease. I have made many efforts to make the symptoms improve but I do not expect that my Meniere's will ever go away. I never worry from one day to the next what might be around the corner. If I get dizzy, so be it. Reality is we have Meniere's, a disease with no known cause and no known cure. Acceptance is the biggest part of living with it. I tend to agree with by buddy Nassman on this one but I wouldn't go as far as belittle others because they aren't strong enough to mentally deal with it.

Piggy

9. Dave77

Dave77 New Member

Excellent Intrepid – Very well said