Roller Coasters and the Like

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by huey, Oct 6, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. huey

huey New Member

Anybody here a fan of riding the thrill rides at theme parks? We usually go to Florida every winter for two weeks and always hit the theme parks, but now not sure if I should ride the rides. I've probably had the MM for at least a year, but have never had a dizzy spell. I'd hate to think I could never ride the Spidey ride at Universal again. Can you do any damage riding the rides?
    Rob

2. nassman

nassman Guest

You have meniere's for a year but have never had a dizzy spell???????????

3. Erosangel

Erosangel New Member

Huey,

I actually went to six flags with my husband last year about 2 days after a vertigo attack. I took meclazine 3 times that day and had a great time. I don't see why you couldn't go just be careful. There was one ride that I actually blacked out on for a second. Besides all that I had a great time and rode all the rides.

4. huey

huey New Member

Nope, and I remember reading somewhere that with MM, there isn't always dizzy spells. There will always be some hearing issues though. If my memory serves, I think it has to do with the type of hydrops, either cochlear or vestibular. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Erosangel, I'll probably try it. The most that could happen I guess, is I make the ride a little less pleasant for someone seated behind me. Maybe I should just plan on riding in the back row.
    Rob

5. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Hi Huey -

You might have atypical Meniere's.

About rides........I'm okay with roller coasters but cannot do the spinning ones. Go and have fun!!

6. Leon

Leon New Member

Huey,
    I can't watch a merry-go-round in motion without getting vertigo. I stay away from places like that. If the family goes, I just don't look at the moving rides.
    Leon

7. Erosangel

Erosangel New Member

Rob,

I think you'll have a great time. I told my hubby that i'm ready to go again. They have a really cool new ride that I want to go on. ;)

Have Fun

Patsy

8. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

no way! I feel urpish just looking at them. Hi Leon. Those days are long gone for me. Even seeing the motion of waves on water can set me off.
    Paul

9. ToniG

ToniG Guest

It could be atypical, but vertigo is one of the common denominator for menieres. Anyway, I'm a adrelin junky and always ride all the roller coasters. At MGM my favorite is the Aerosmith Rock and Roll roller coaster.

10. blessed

blessed New Member

I have always loved the rollercoasters and continue to ride them every year. I can't ride, or even look at, anything that spins, though.

11. OnTheBorder

OnTheBorder New Member

You sound like me. I went to Six Flags over Texas soon after an attack, rode all the rides including all the roller costers, AND blacked out on the "Titan" (first time I had ever ridden it). Good thing I waited until the end of the day to ride it, OR I doubt I would have riden any of the others.

12. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Have fun. I LOVE the rollercoasters and have no problems on them.