"Researchers may have discovered a plan to disable Meniere's disease"

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Donamo, Dec 7, 2013.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

The viral theory is legitimate, it may not be the complete answer for all MM occurrences, but we know it helps many of us, why researchers and doctors ignore it, is beyond me. I would like to know these researchers reasons for discounting it and not acknowledging it.

2. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

well, I put my money where my mouth was and just emailed Dr Carol Foster. It will be interesting to hear her response, if she does in fact respond.

3. james

james ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

She wrote to me,but I neglected to ask her about the viral theory.

4. Pirate

Pirate New Member

The last paragraph says "theory". It's their theory.. Not definitive. The last sentence of the entire article says "if this theory is proven". I think the theory that it's partly vascular has been around for some time now. But at least research is active and ongoing.

5. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I agree Pirate but I am curious to hear if they considered the viral cause and what they think of it and why.

6. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

The vascular part shouldn't be a surprise. I think they need to prove the viral connection and start making the AVs available easily an cheaply.

7. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I agree Intrepid. So far no response, James, how long did it take until she responded to you?

8. james

I wrote her on Friday and she wrote back Monday.Just 1 sentence thanking me for thanking her.She also said she was going to watch with great interest the study just starting here in Sweden with the glaucoma drug.

The vascular part is not a surprise but I haven't found any research that has been done with MM and vascular issues or very few with MM and Mav.

9. hastone

hastone New Member

Found this when searching the internet for related material. This is a series of slides Dr. Foster put together for a class or some type of presentation. Very interesting theory.

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/departments/medicine/GIM/education/ContinuingEducation/Documents/The%20ischemic%20mechanism%20of%20Meniere%20attacks.pdf

10. james

HalS,

Great find thanks for posting.It is a really interesting theory.Nice to hear a doctor talking about how weather and head position can affect us.

11. Donamo

Donamo Guest

Wow, that's a fantastic set of slides, thank you HalS.

There does seem to be some good ideas to take away from it. The blood flow part, Intrepid finds great relief with strong aerobic exercise.

Here is my theory that could be added to it regarding the antivirals. She says that 100% of people with MD have hydrops ["Web definitions
    edema: swelling from excessive accumulation of watery fluid in cells, tissues, or serous cavities"] but lots of other people also have hydrops but not MD. As I understand it, she is saying that if you have hydrops AND you also have ischemia ["an inadequate blood supply to an organ or part of the body, esp. the heart muscles."] then you will probably have Meniere's. So - to treat it, she is saying treat the Ischemia, BUT, since all MD sufferers have hydrops, you could equally treat the hydrops.

If your hydrops is caused by the herpes virus, or a inappropriate response to the virus by your immune system ( as per Stephen Spring ) then antivirals could reduce the hydrops .... and the Meniere's.

A lot of us have found success by treating Meniere's via antivirals and Migraine via trigger avoidance and blood flow via exercise.

Whew, see, if you try hard enough, you can make it all fit!! ;D

12. Urschel

Urschel New Member

Interesting study indeed- thank you HalS for posting the slides.

I actually do have Migrane-like symptoms occasionally. Looking back I just realized when the Migranes started years back- my ringing ear started too. I never connected those two things. The migranes and the vertigo attacks never happen simultaneously - they are always at least a few days apart, so I figured that I do not have MAV and never thought about a possible connection between the two. I will look into this further- thanks for bringing our attention to the study Donamo.

Good to know that there are more studies on trying to figure out what exactly causes Hydrops and why only some people who have Hydrops develop Meniere's. This is the long standing question I have with Meniere's.

However, I am wondering about how the treatment Dr. Foster proposes is so radically different from the treatment many Meniere's sufferers get already? Ok she tosses in the Migrane treatment part, but the low salt diet and diuretics are not that different. I guess her focus is on prevention of attacks, which in turn stops the hearing loss, and that's why her treatment is considered that different?

Here is the treatment plan that Dr. Foster proposes in the presentation posted:

"Treatment- Aggressively reduce vascular risk on multiple fronts

1. Treat vasospasm
    - Migraine prophylactic meds
    - Magnesium
    - Trigger avoidance
    - Aspirin

2. Prevent elevated aural pressures
    - Sodium restriction
    - Diuretics
    - Elevate head at night
    - Decompression procedures?"

Actually, since it is mentioned- has anyone had success with using Magnesium supplements to reduce the tinnitus (I have read about this before somewhere)? If yes, at what dose?

Thanks, Urschel

13. hastone

hastone New Member

Notice on the slide following Treatments, "Treatment: new thoughts", she includes Calcium Channel Blockers. Since my symptoms have progressed in the last year or so my blood pressure has been high at times. I am tracking it now to see if there is a correlation between attacks of tinnitus and fullness/hearing loss. I was able to talk with my family doctor about Dr. Foster's theory and he thought it was very interesting. He was open to trying HBP meds if my tracking suggests it to be related.

Anyone on HBP meds experience relief of symptoms? Particularly if you are bilateral.

I should also mention that I am following Dr. Gacek's antiviral regimen for about 6 weeks now. It's been an up and down ride, but so far no vertigo or dizziness. Still dealing with tinnitus, distortion and hearing loss.

I feel like the light is finally starting to show on this ugly beast... we're going to kick it in the butt folks!! Prayers for you all.

Hal

14. james

Urschel,
    I take magnesium citrate as a supplement but it has done nothing for the tinnitus.

HalS,

I take Verapamil which is a calcium channel blocker,it has helped me as I had a history of migraines and also some high BP. I have noticed more problems when my BP goes up. A correlation if you will,at least for me.

Dr. Hain in Chicago has it on his list of drugs that sometimes help MM. Sirlanc was also on it and it helped him as well.

15. KennedyLane

KennedyLane New Member

I noted the doctor mentioned sleep apnea as a possible vascular event that, in combination with hydrops, results in Meniere's. There are recent comments on the MAV board regarding the overlap in symptoms between MAV and a condition called polycythemia, which manifests in elevated hemoglobin and hematocrit levels. Interestingly, dizziness, vertigo, headache and tinnitus are common symptoms of polycythemia.

I looked into the various causes of polycythemia, and it appears there is a link between the disorder and sleep apnea. I suppose the theory is that low oxygen levels caused by sleep apnea trigger the body to increase production of red blood cells, which are the cells that carry oxygen in the blood stream. When the H and H levels are elevated, the blood "thickens" and has difficulty perfusing the smaller blood vessels, resulting in ischemia. The lack of blood flow to the inner ear can trigger tinnitus and vestibular issues, or so the theory goes.

16. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

She never responded to me.

17. james

I just wrote her again,let's see if she responds.

18. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Hope so, Did you ask about viral causes?

19. james

That's what I asked her. Why she is not including viruses as a cause.

20. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I sure hope she answers. I would really be interested in hearing her feelings on it and what her opinions are based on.