Potatoes

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by rottiesrule, Feb 18, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

Are baked potatoes ok to eat? With a no salt butter?

2. tm53

tm53 New Member

Yep, low sodium to boot (about 16mg per medium potato) . Also try them a bit of Sour Cream if you can handle dairy products (Breakstone is 10mg per 2 Tbsp).

Check out this site: http://www.alsosalt.com/sodiumcontent.html

3. newflady

newflady New Member

Ms. Dash has lots of salt substitutes and with a potato it is awesome. Made sweet potatoes the other day. Put on them I can't believe it's not butter and some maple syrup....yummy!!!!!!!

4. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

Thanks!!

5. tm53

tm53 New Member

Welcome. Hmm maple Syrup, that really sounds good, thanks Newflady!

6. newflady

newflady New Member

Welcome.....love to cook!!!

7. Skyline

Skyline New Member

Baked potatoes are a staple for me. Mashed potatoes as well. By the way, the sour cream and chives baked potato at Wendys is a good fast food low sodium option. No butter or salt.

8. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

9. newflady

newflady New Member

Also potatoes are rich in potassium which we need in our diets as the diaretics we take can rob our bodies of potassium. Also try microwaving potatoes for about 3 minutes then use olive oil and fry them with chopped onions and garlic......I also have a recipe for rosemary potato fries!! PM me if anyone wants the recipe if I get a couple of interests I will post the recipe, another low sodium favorite!

10. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Newf....I've made the rosemary potato fries....OH MY-LANTA...just yummy! :)

11. newflady

newflady New Member

My hubby loves them!!!

12. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

There's a 'NO SALT' w/ butter that really tastes like salt..

13. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

I live on baked potatos with no salt real butter. I also add (ok, don't laugh) a little bit of balsamic vinegar and hot sauce to the butter for a kick. Low salt cheese is also good. I used a mascarpone cheese which has almost no salt at all, and it's very creamy.

14. newflady

newflady New Member

Ohhh Rottie, your house for potatoes?...lol!!!!

15. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

Newfie, come on down!!

16. burd

burd New Member

With any kind of food or additive or condiment or component, you need to try them out for yourself. Even if a doctor gives you generic advice and tells you to avoid it, unless of course there is proven definite harm that can come to you from something specifically. Many people avoid things they don't need to because someone else does or because it was part of generic advice they received. Just be aware of how you feel at the time, test when you are doing well and test more than once at different times, and be very aware of what else is being consumed along with what you are testing, as often items are blamed when a reaction was from something else consumed at the same time, like a food additive or something.
    I love potatoes too, mostly hashbrowns and french fries. :)

17. ConfusedNAnnoyed

ConfusedNAnnoyed New Member

Yes, very good for you high in potassium and lysine which is key ingredients when dealing with this. Butter is also fine its high in lysine. Unless you notice it makes things worse then eat it without butter.

18. trippen1999

trippen1999 New Member

thank god for potatoes,i have been living on them,i have a salad with basalmic vinager and olive oil and salt substitue and a baked potatoe with garlic and herb light spread(aloutte light) and a dab of butter,the whole meal is only 165 mg of sodium.

potatoe 15mg
    butter 90mg tbsp
    alouette garlic & herb light spread 60mg 2 tbsp

lettuce 0 mg
    cucumbers 0mg
    grape tomates 0mg
    basalmic vinager 0mg
    olive oil 0mg
    salt substitute 0mg
    lemon papper seasoning(salt free) 0mg

19. SMRoz

SMRoz Coast Guard Dizzy! (Ret)