Pondering the Yonder (it's the yeast we can do)

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Papajoe, Dec 2, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

My acne has come and gone over the years. Its only when I started the whole diet thing that it became apparent it was related somehow to at the other stuff going on.

Getting rid of yeast is a long process, and the nystatin is only one step, so hang in there and let me know when you need a pep talk.

2. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

Once you get on the nystatin, is it a forever thing?

The other question I had is whether a sexually transmitted yeast infection could, in your opinion, fester and lead to a systemic yeast infection causing MM symptoms?

3. June-

June- New Member

Maybe I am wrong but I believe my doctor told me that yeast infections were not 'infections' but rather overgrowths of yeasts that were already in the body. Most commonly due to antibiotics.

4. Papajoe

No, I'll be on nystatin for a little over a year total, and I'll be on systemic anti-fungals for a year, but I only take those one week out of the month. And I'm already off the candida diet and back to pretty much a regular diet.

But, I will have to maintain healthy eating habits for the rest of my life. Additionally, if I ever have to take oral antibiotics again, I'll need to take them with nystatin and plenty of probiotics during the period of time I'm taking the antibiotics.

IMHO (and you know I'm not a doctor), yes, any yeast infection could potentially invade the rest of the body.

The problem is, many doctors have been taught that yeast can't get through the mucus membrane of the intestines and, um, that other place you mentioned. Research is showing that yeasts can indeed get through the mucous membranes.

I believe that "leaky gut" is real, meaning that the yeast has compromised the gut wall and that allows yeast and other things to enter the blood stream. If that's true, then it's also likely that you could have a "leaky", um, other thing.

So, part of the trick is to not only try to kill the yeast, but to heal the gut so that stuff doesn't leak through. Candida occurs naturally in the gut, and its only when it grows wild that it starts damaging the gut lining. Then once you have killed the excess yeast in the gut with nystatin, and healed the gut with probiotics, you have to kill the yeast that's in the rest of the body. That's where the systemic anti-fungals come in.

Once I've done that, it'll be up to me to make sure I don't get back on my old high-carb, low veggie diet.

5. Papajoe

He's pretty much correct, but what most doctors don't realize is that the candida yeast can take several forms, and some of those forms can invade the body. Check out this link and I'll reply further later this evening.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Forms-and-Symptoms-of-Invasive-Candidiasis-a-Candida-Albicans-Infection&id=1582752

6. Wino

True, but I think they're colloquially referred to as "infections." I guess "colonizations" would be a better word, but semantics is semantics.

I was reading recently that in some instances antibiotics can cause a proliferation of yeast that's already in the body. But then the article I read also talked about how yeast infections can be sexually transmitted. The challenge was that in a good percentage of males, there can be an overcolonization of yeast at the tip of their sexual organ without causing any symptoms. Whereas most women will be symptomatic. It went on further to talk about how some men remain asymptomatic for so long that by the time they develop any symptoms the problem is systemic.

I guess the reason I asked is that papajoe's doctor mentioned that he might have been exposed to a yeast infection at birth. I'm wondering if it's equally possible that he might not have caught a yeast "infection" elsewhere later in life and simply remained asymptomatic for a long time. Not that it makes a difference to the outcome of the end of the day, as he seems to have found his cure regardless. But more of an academic curiosity.

7. earshurt

earshurt New Member

I'm
    I'm interested. I have also wondered about candida. As a side note I have noticed that when I eat sugar it worsens the problem. I realize that doesn't mean its candida but I wonder if there may be a connection. I have a product I bought a product to clear excess candida but didn't take it faithfully as a regimen so my results I consider to be inconclusive. Another thing I noticed is that when I pour peroxide in the affected left ear it bubbles ferociously and it doesn't in my right good ear. Interesting thoughts Papajoe. Thanks for sharing that.

8. KTabc

KTabc Cheese Head Dumbass

OK this may be too much info--but I never had a yeast infect until I was pregnant (1987). Then 2 years later is when I started having ear problems. Which slowly built over time into MM being dx in 2007.

And, I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED carbs and junk food, and did not eat veggies like I should. I am a changin'

KT

9. KTabc

First--never put anything in your ear! And, that means NO to peroxide. The bubbles are just softing the wax. I go to my ENT and have him remove the excess.

Second--when I cut my sugar, I notice my symptoms also lessened. I worked my diet hard--cut out wheat, dairy, salt. Then I finally got to sugar and got a hit :) Happy girl.

Good Luck Earshut
    ~KT

10. earshurt

earshurt New Member

But I thought if it was smaller than my elbow I could put it in my ear? :)

Yeah the epithelial lining in the ear is easily damaged if exposed to things for a long period and if it gets damaged good enough it can be a real problem. I did that as a test to see what would happen. I got a reaction but I still don't know exactly what that means. Left ear turned into a spewing volcano with the peroxide and the right ear didn't. I don't do it often though because I value that ear lining. I need it!

11. KTabc

I think the spewing was the peroxide reacting to your dirty ear :) I get very waxy/dirty ears.

~KT

P.S. Just don't do it again! I used to use it and my ENT dr. told me not to.

12. Wino

According to my wife's OB, this is pretty common. Pregnancy changes a woman's body chemistry and it frequently results in yeast infections. It's at least worth looking into as a possible explanation for your issues.

13. earshurt

earshurt New Member

KT I thought the same thing at first. But the pattern was the same. Left ear reacted BIG TIME and the right ear does not. Could be more wax in the left ear than the right but I really don't think that is what it was. When it hit that left ear it came roaring back out in a way that signaled the oxygen molecules had found an oxygen reactive "something" that was much more responsive than the left ear. After I did this the left ear did not pop and crackle as bad either. That made me wonder if fungus, candida, or something was permeating the ear drum and coming into the ear canal and colonizing the wax and using it as a food source. Ear wax is supposed to be naturally anti fungal though I think. But maybe some forms of fungus actually like it? Or maybe candida like it? Or something? Did you ever research this? I have not.

14. earshurt

earshurt New Member

When you say "aura" do you mean lights flashing in the corner of the eyes? I get flashes of light when my trigeminal nerve becomes involved. I had such horrible trigeminal nerve pain at one point it felt like my body was going into shock to some degree.

Oregano Oil is supposed to help with candida so I took some orally and I swear within about thirty minutes there was this really loud crazy popping sounds in my left ear like something was dying off maybe. Not sure what it was but my head and ear felt better and the constant fizzy crackling noises subsided some. Do you know if candida can cause popping and crackling sounds in the ear?

After I drank it my ear felt better so I did it a couple of times a week. I also had a surge of energy that I hadn't felt in a long time. Wonder if candida was making me fatigued? I added Black Walnut, Magnesium (magnesium caprylate), Caprylic Acid, Pau D'Arco to it. My ear didn't pop and crackle and feel as irritated and was not as fizzy sounding.

Then I stopped taking it and tried the Turmeric. I stopped taking the candida stuff because I didn't want them both going at the same time so that I could tell the difference.

The Turmeric helped a lot so I never started the candida stuff again but now my ear is making that fizzy crackling sound again. I'm gonna start the candida regimen again and see what happens.

If you never hear from me again Papajoe that means i dun pisined mysef to def :)

By the way I just flushed out my left ear with peroxide again in the interest of science and same reaction. Left ear volcano and right ear not much at all. (I know KT I won't do it often so don't spank me! :)

15. earshurt

earshurt New Member

According to this wikipedia article, if it be true, candida can also cause brain fog and during my worst attacks I would get brain fog so bad I could barely think well enough to make it through the day. The brain fog was very pronounced and debilitating. I possibly see myself in this candida scenario in several respects. I considered that it could be a factor several times but I was mainly focused on the viral aspects. I'm gonna do more homework on this when I get time.

16. Papajoe

Which means your child has a possibility of having been exposed to it. Does your child have any add/adhd/autism issues?

If there is a connection, and earshurt's Wino's wifes' OB says it's common, that could explain why so many more people are getting it these days.

KT - My friends used to call me the Cookie Monster.

17. Papajoe

Yeah, that's possible. I first started having the acne outbreaks in my 20's. I even took antibiotics for a while, but they didn't help, and that's the worst thing you can do with a candida infection. But my Mom had MM real bad, and she also had other problems that in hindsight are consistent with a candida infection.

18. Papajoe

If my experience is any guide, and everyone is different, you'll know it's time to ask your doctor for the systemic anti-fungal medications when the benefit from nystatin starts wearing off. Systemic anti-fungals require careful monitoring, but they're generally safe if you're properly monitored, so make sure your doctor is willing to do the monitoring.

But you must start healing the gut. My only guide is that its impossible to OD on probiotics and probiotic foods. Buy a good quality probiotic and take lots of them. Eat live culture foods. There is a brand of yogurt made with coconut milk instead of dairy. Kefir is da' bomb. Start drinking kefir. Without healing the gut, there is nothing to stop the yeast from invading the blood stream again.

19. Papajoe

earshurt, I plan to start taking some of my wife's turmeric, but I have to be careful because I take coumadin and turmeric is known to mess that up. I'll wait until after my next INR, start taking a small amount and see how that affects the next test. Then I'll adjust the coumadin dosage as necessary.

20. burd

burd New Member

What a cutey! And a redhead too. ;D