Pondering the Yonder (it's the yeast we can do)

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Papajoe, Dec 2, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. jesseandalison

jesseandalison New Member

2. studio_34

studio_34 Guest

Taximom, I stopped using all forms of fluoride years ago. It is known to build up in the brain and collect around the hippocampus causing all sorts of neurological damage. In my opinion the toothpaste companies are just cashing in not unlike the pharmaceutical industry. Instead, I've been using a mixture of baking soda and tea tree oil for years, my own mix. Teeth are great.

There's also a link between fluoride and autism that you should read.

http://www.autism-pdd.net/testdump/test18045.htm

James

3. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

earshurt - which kind is in toothpaste?

4. earshurt

earshurt New Member

Sodium Fluoride is in toothpaste. It will ruin your teeth. People flip over backwards when I tell them that but I posted the material safety data sheet on it and it even says it. Most of the time a MSDS will not have all the ill effects of something on it. Usually the MSDS has the worst ones. Its in toothpaste. How insane is that? On the tube it says if you swallow it to call poison control too.

5. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

I have to say, I totally agree with earshurt on this one--I would not give my child anything with fluoride to be swallowed.

One pediatric dentist actually suggested that I give my babies a fluoride "supplement" because they were breastfeeding, and therefore not getting formula made with fluoridated water! The pediatrician, however, agreed with me that that was total bunk, thank heavens.

6. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

James, how do you get it out of your water? Or are you lucky enough to have well water?

7. earshurt

earshurt New Member

My experiences in the medical field allowed me to converse with physicians on a personal level all day every day for many years. I wasn't just a rep I was their friend. Many of my friends were doctors. I hung out with a lot of them socially. They didn't consider me a just a "rep". The concepts that are terribly difficult to convey to people that have not had such an opportunity is "cognitive dissonance, ignorance, disregard." These don't apply to you, in this case, they apply to your doctors.

Cognitive dissonance: condition of conflict or anxiety resulting from inconsistency between one's beliefs and one's actions, such as opposing the slaughter of animals and eating meat.

Ignorance: The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.

Disregard: To pay no attention or heed to; ignore.
    To treat without proper respect or attentiveness.

If you don't think animals are treated fairly then you don't eat meat. Period. End of story right? You stick to your convictions. Nope. Sorry. We eat it anyway don't we? Of course we do.

Why? We leap the hurdle of cognitive dissonance, or we don't know how they are treated, or we disregard their treatment. Why? Simple. Because we need to.

Doctors are no different. So many of us ordain them with a godlike all knowing status. They don't have it. They have a job just like carpenters, plumbers, engineers, architects, etc...

When my plumber says something that does not mean he is the last word on plumbing just because he is a plumber. We don't mind telling him we disagree either do we?

Its different with doctors. We seldom disagree with them verbally in person, and often don't disagree in our mind silently.

One day for fun I took the MSDS sheet on sodium fluoride on my visits for the day and with a smile on my face said "Why do we do this"? You would be amazed at the responses. Some would say "man that makes it sound rough doesn't it". Some would say "i've wondered myself". Some didn't realize how toxic it was.

There are few gurus in the world. They do what they do because they do it. And that by no means makes it safe. They are conditioned to do it. Conditioning and safety are not joined at the hip.

8. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Earshurt you raise some good points here. The 'dynamic' between a doctor and patient is very important. I have had experience with a doctor who I just didn't like and she got a couple of things seriously wrong with me - missed them completely - so I was right not to like her! It's crucial to trust and respect your doctor and to feel comfortable asking questions and if necessary getting a second or even third opinion. A good doctor will also listen, not just talk at a patient. On the other hand I have had experience where a doctor (actually more than one) was SPOT ON with their diagnosis of me and I just didn't buy it - until years later. More fool me. So it goes both ways.

9. earshurt

earshurt New Member

"So it goes both ways."

Absolutely.

10. Tom47

Tom47 New Member

Whoops posted in the wrong thread!

11. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

One thing that I have noticed since starting the Nystatin (I haven't tried the diet yet) is that I am not craving food or sweets. I find myself in the afternoon wondering and then realizing that I have eaten nothing yet that day and believe me, this is unusual for me to not want something to eat frequently.

Any thoughts or is this just coincidence?

12. Papajoe

Probably not a coincidence. I don't know how it would work, but I've read that Candida will make you crave sweets, so it would make sense that treating candida would lessen that.

I also used to have really bad urges to snack on anything. Since being treated for Candida, I have fewer urges, and they're easier to control. The less craving and better will power could just be a side-effect of the diet though, I don't know for sure.

Have you started the probiotics yet?

13. KTabc

KTabc Cheese Head Dumbass

How are your symptoms? I would say, nope not a coincidence. If something has changed, there is a reason for it. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! My diet is very limited on sugar and carbs. Have only added probiotics supp. but no probiotic foods--yet!

I have read that if you have too much yeast in your system, it makes it that much harder lossing weight. I don't know if it was because you have the urge to eat sweets, or it does something to your metabolism. Papajoe may know that one.

I still have slight urges for sweets.....mainly around that time of the month :)

I am still doing well. My tinnitus is loud today, but everything else feels "under control". Let's hope/pray it stays that way.

~KT

P.S. Expecting a huge snowstorm in WI! 4-8" I am kinda' excited about it :) Just in time for Christmas...

14. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Probiotics - Yes

Diet - No

My sinus congestion and those annoying ahum's in the throat are definitely improved. I've been taking it for 2 weeks now.

15. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Hi KT, it's interesting stuff. I hope it works for me.

We're expecting a lot of snow sun/mon but I am flying out tomorrow so will miss it. Yay!!

16. earshurt

earshurt New Member

I doubt its coincidence too. You are decreasing an organism in your body with nystatin that thrives on sugar and creates a yearning for sugar. After the nystatin you don't crave sugar so bad. Makes sense to me.

Also if I eat sugar I can often see my condition worsen within thirty minutes. I suspect I am feeding candida or some other invader. It could be some other sort of reaction though.

17. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Thanks for your input everyone,

I am not just talking sugar here, although that is a biggie for me, but all food is included in my observation.

Basically I guess my appetite has lessened along with my cravings.

18. KTabc

KTabc Cheese Head Dumbass

Have a safe trip! Hope it is for fun :)

~KT

19. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Probiotics - I feel really stupid here. I feel like that kid who was absent that day they taught probiotics. Help me out here, just what is it and what does it do?

20. Papajoe

Probiotics are "good" bacteria.

Normally, the intestines have a variety of bacteria and yeast which attack and break down the foods you eat. If the gut flora wasn't there, you'd starve to death. In a healthy person, there is a good balance of microorganisms.

Often things can disrupt that balance of flora. If you take antibiotics, that will kill some of the bacteria. The longer you take them the more gut flora you kill. Acid reflux medicines can disrupt it, aspirin can disrupt it, as can other things.

This can lead to damage to the gut lining, overgrowth of yeast, and other problems.

Probiotics can help restore the natural balance by introducing the good bugs back into the gut. It also helps heal the gut. The healing of the gut is why I (who am not a doctor) recommend it.

The most common probiotic is probably yogurt. Live culture yogurt still contains the bacteria that fermented the milk that turned it into yogurt.

One important probiotic food is kefir, a centuries old fermented milk drink. Kefir is my personal favorite due to having more different kinds of good flora that most any other live culture foods. There are numerous scientific studies in PUBMED attesting to it's health benefits. You can add kefir and fresh fruit in the blender to make you're own probiotic smoothie.

While Kefir is a milk product, I make mine with coconut milk instead of dairy because coconut milk has natural anti-fungal properties as well as being dairy free. Similar to sourdough bread, you get a bit of starter (called kefir "grains") and add it to the coconut milk. let it sit for a day, then pour off the fermented kefir. As long as you add more coconut milk periodically, you'll have viable kefir.

I also eat naturally fermented sauerkraut, pickles, and kim chee (a fermented Korean cabbage).

When most people say "probiotics", they often mean a capsule (or pearl) that contains several species of good bugs, mainly lactobacillus. Probiotic capsules are good for a jump start, or just an easy way to get some if you're not eating live culture foods.

The main issue with probiotics you buy at the store is that some of them have lost their potency due to sitting on the shelf too long. I buy a brand that must be refrigerated, and take two - four per day.

I think that the probiotic foods are the best choice, but the probiotic capsules make a good additional source and are handy for days you don't eat probiotic foods. IMHO, the more probiotics and probiotic foods the better.