Pickle recipe

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by cherylmcgr, Apr 13, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. cherylmcgr

cherylmcgr New Member

does anyone have a low sodium pickle recipe, I know vinegar is a trigger for some but not for me but the salt content in one pickle is crazy and I would love to make some for munching and relishes etc.

thanks
    cheryl

2. tm53

tm53 New Member

I do not have a recipe but have found a decent no salt added bread and butter pickle. Kroger or the local equiv sells them.

They use calcium chloride instead of sodium chloride.

Have yet to find a decent NSA dill pickle.

3. Aliza

Aliza I'm still standing, alone but upright

I'd love a pickle! :)

4. tm53

tm53 New Member

:D

5. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I found a no salt pickle recipe today while looking through my American Heart Association Cookbook. I'll post it as soon as I can type it all in tomorrow!

S.

6. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

4 pickling or Kirby cucumbers, unpeeled (about a pound)
    1 c. water
    3/4 c. cider vinegar
    1 T. dill seeds
    1 T. whole pickling spices
    1 T. sugar
    2 medium cloves of garlic peeled, or a t. bottled minced garlic
    4 - 5 sprigs of fresh dill weed (optional)

With a sharp knife or crinkle cutter, cut cucumbers crosswise into 1/4 inch slices. You should have four cups. Line a colander with two or three paper towels, put cucumbers in colander. Cover with a paper towel and sent a plate on top to slightly weigh the cucumbers down (this will help to remove excess moisture). Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.

In a large saucepan, bring remaining ingredients to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add cucumbers and cook uncovered for three minutes or until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let stand 15 minutes. Transfer to an air tight container large enough to hold the cucumbers and liquid and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. Pickles will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

7. tm53

tm53 New Member

Oh thank you!

8. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

Everyone likes a good pickle, unless of course you don't.

9. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I buy pickles in SEA SALT, they don't bother me, BUT.....

I can only have One pickle wedge at a time!.....LMAO!

Thanx, MAX!

10. tm53

tm53 New Member

Sodium is sodium.

Good for you that you keep it to one wedge!

11. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I took a cooking class over the summer and the teacher told us that sea salt is lower in sodium (which turns out to be false). But, he also said that grains of sea salt are not the same shape as regular salt (which turns out to be true). Sea salt has larger "flat" areas that allow more opportunity to come into contact with taste buds so the taste is intensified. The result is less salt is needed. I assume this is so only when we're talking about foods we sprinkle -- French fries, pretzels, etc. As TLC says in this article, you can eat less and it will taste like more.

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/fresh-ideas/low-sodium-dinners/sea-salt-sodium.htm

12. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

No recipes for pickles here, although I do buy jarred pickles in Sea Salt.

13. ephillipsme

ephillipsme New Member

I have a fresh pickle recipe for cuces right out of the garden, since the family loves them they don't stay around and it's not a big deal they are not canned. We keep them in the fridge all summer, reusing or refreshing the mixture. Sometime there are a couple going with different varients, maybe garlic, or a hot pepper, or a little sweeter/

Glass Jar -
    Large cucumbers
    1/2 cup vinegar ( I prefer cider vinegar)
    Couple teaspoons of sugar
    Spices (I use fresh dill, chives or cilantro from the garden)
    Garlic or onion

Cut cuces and place them in the jar, add the other of the ingredients , fill the jar with water and refrigerate. They are good in a couple hours.

14. cherylmcgr

cherylmcgr New Member

That is how I make them when I crave a pickle I use dill can't wait to try different herbs, jazz up my pickle :). thanks

15. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I do love a good juicy pickle every now and again!