Olive Leaf Extract as a Meniere’s Treatment

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by John of Ohio, May 17, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

As many readers of this website know, I’ve created over a number of years of personal trials and experimentation a series of Meniere’s treatment regimens that suppress or control the disease’s symptoms with very useful effectiveness. The latest and most successful version of my regimen is posted here:
    http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf

Personally, the regimen has brought complete symptomatic relief from Meniere’s symptoms, continuing now for about a decade. The details are in the link above.

But I continue to closely examine non-pharmaceutical methods of treating Meniere’s and other diseases. I have recently scrutinized the expanding literature—scientific, anecdotal, and popular—regarding olive leaf extract. Consequently, there are now solid, profound reasons to suggest this inexpensive and utterly safe botanical supplement as one element in the treatment and suppression of Meniere’s Disease.

I was unable to find any specific cases or professional recommendations for the use of Olive Leaf Extract (hereafter, OLE) against Meniere’s, but the supplement has two clear qualitites that suggest its use.

First, OLE is able to kill or suppress an extremely wide range of pathogens, including bacteria, fungi, and viruses. For Meniere’s, OLE’s ability to suppress herpes viruses is worth considering, inasmuch as a herpes virus infection of the inner ear is a root cause of most Meniere’s cases, I believe. There is now substantial clinical evidence that the administration of acyclovir and other prescription antiherpetic drugs usually brings relief from Meniere’s symptoms, directly implicating herpes viruses as a root cause. For those unfamiliar with this topic, peruse the information here:
    http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,22570.0.html

Well, olive leaf extract has proven exceptionally effective against all sorts of herpes infections, including cases of shingles, cold sores, and others. A few anecdotal reports (not to be relied upon) claim that OLE gave equal or surpassing symptomatic relief from cold sores compared to prescription antiherpetic drugs, at low cost and no side effects.

A great deal of information on OLE is here:
    http://www.about-olive-leaf-extract.com/natural-antiviral.html

OLE also increases arterial blood flow. Whether or not this can increase circulation through the inner ear and help (as do several agents in my regimen) to pull away excess fluids, to reduce Meniere’s hydrops, is unknown.

Importantly, OLE has no known direct side effects and is safe at all dosages. In the case of severe bacterial infections, the killing of those pathogenic bacteria can leave them dead in body tissues, whereupon the body reacts with flu-like or other symptoms while “cleaning up” the dead bacteria. When this happens, called a Herxhimer’s Reaction, it indicates that the OLE is effectively killing pathogens and that relief will soon ensue (http://www.about-olive-leaf-extract.com/olive-leaf-side-effects.html). OLE should not be taken with prescription antibiotics or other drugs.

The list of health benefits from OLE is long, and hard to believe. “Too good to be true.” But both clinical and anecdotal reports substantiate OLE’s profound healthfulness, particularly in combating microbial and viral pathogens of every sort.

Those with Meniere’s might wish to run a one or two month course of OLE supplementation. Be sure to use a standardized form, indicating the percentage or mass of oleuropein, the effective agent in the supplement. Suggested dosage for active Meniere’s would be a total of about 180 mg of oleuropein across a day. I have just begun taking OLE for a recalcitrant urinary tract infection. I’m using the Swanson’s OLE, http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWH158/ItemDetail, which is cheap at $5.99 for 60 tablets, each of which has 75 mgs of oleuropein. So, to ingest 180 mg per day, I’m taking three capsules, one upon arising, one at mid-day, and the last when retiring to bed at night. That means I’m taking 225 mgs each day, and inasmuch as OLE is non-toxic at any known dose, this should a useful dosing schedule.

The putative and known health advantages of OLE are far too lengthy to describe here. But it would be interesting to learn if olive leaf extract can be another safe, effective, non-prescription element to be used against Meniere’s Disease and its untoward symptoms. If you give OLE a try, let us know how it works in a month or so. If there are any indications of Meniere’s efficacy, given its low price and strong health benefits, I will include it in a new version of my Meniere’s Treatment Regimen noted above.

Olive leaf extract. Certainly worth a try. Let us know how it works for you.

–John of Ohio

2. Omegaman

Omegaman New Member

Interesting, John - Thanks.

3. Irelandman

Irelandman Guest

John of Ohio, it was me that brought the benefits of Olive leaf extract to your attention over a year ago. at the time you said you never heard of it, but I portrayed the benefits of it to you and all members here.
    Look at my my profile and search my posts, you will find the original post from me.
    Any time I speak to someone about components of your regimen, out of respect I always mention that this is your approach and was designed by you based on your investigations and findings.
    I am a little dissappointed when you come out with a post that you say you have found new approach to treating menieres, and you also say:
    "But I continue to closely examine non-pharmaceutical methods of treating Meniere’s and other diseases. I have recently scrutinized the expanding literature—scientific, anecdotal, and popular—regarding olive leaf extract. Consequently, there are now solid, profound reasons to suggest this inexpensive and utterly safe botanical supplement as one element in the treatment and suppression of Meniere’s Disease."
    No mention anywhere that it was me that brought it to your attention.
    My original post:
    "hello again John,
    Sorry for bothering you again but i am just back from my local nutrition shop and i got lysine, ginko bilboa, Vitamin c c 2000, and methylsufonylmethane.
    the lemon bio, vertigoheel and vinpocetine are en route from USA to ireland and i should have them next week.
    my friend in the local nutrition shop gave me olive leaf complex in liquid form, he says it is very potent stuff and it is widely used for fighting a range of virus, including the herpes simplex virus. would you reccommend this while i am waiting for my shipment from the states? it is made by a company calledcomvita in new zealand and each 5ml teaspoon contains olive leaf extract equiv. to 5000mg freah leaf standardised to contain 22.0mg oleuropein.
    it was fairly expensive so i hope it helps. is this ok to start with, and should i compliment this with your regimen?
    Thanks in advance John."

Your responce:
    "John,

I'm not familiar with olive leaf extract, but I'm sure it would be fine to give it a try. And I'm sure it will not conflict with any part of my regimen, either; so feel free to use any combination of any of these at any time.

Keep me posted on your progress.

--John of Ohio"

Very dissappointing......
    John

4. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Irelandman,

My sincerest apologies in failing to both recall your previous note to me regarding the potential efficacy of olive leaf extract, and failing in my post above to acknowledge your previous work regarding olive leaf extract and Meniere's. In honesty, I get a larger number of informative and helpful emails such as yours, but fail to keep accessible copies or records of them. In this case, my inattention to this failed to properly and attribute to you your intelligent perspectives regarding this potential MM treatment.

Again, my sincerest apologies and regrets.

--John of Ohio

5. hurricaneone

hurricaneone New Member

LOL If it works who cares where the info comes from. Good luck to everyone and I hope you all find what really works.

6. tm53

tm53 New Member

JOH, you are a class act.

7. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Thanks to Irelandman for bringing OLE to the attention of this forum and thanks to JOH for promoting it. Much of what has helped people on this forum has been team effort so kudos to you both and I hope OLE helps those who decide to try it.

8. Irelandman

Irelandman Guest

No problem at all John.

9. Brook76

Brook76 New Member

I have tried the Olive Leaf extract and all it did was make me dizzier. I wonder why?

10. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

How long did you take the OLE? At what dosage?

This may have been a Herxheimer reaction, as the involved viruses reacted to the OLE. If so, persistance may have resulted in viral suppression and an eventual degree of relief.

--John of Ohio