Not funny any more

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by thornapple, Oct 15, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Ok....I have been taking prednisone since september, and now I have to taper it off and kiss my ear goodbye. Since it's on the side of my head, I guess I will have to get someone else to do it for me.

Overnight, my face has swelled up like a balloon and my eyes are getting all weird and I can't see very well. This side effect is too creepy. So now there is a countdown, and I am going off of it, and my right ear I predict is going to self-destruct. I tried tapering it down last week and all my symptoms came screaming back.

I have so much face edema that I feel like I am wearing a mask. So I quit. I am throwing in the towel. If my ear lives through this--great. If not---well, I tried, if nobody else did. At least right now nobody is going to look at me and say "But you look fine..." I look like a cartoon or a horror film of my former self.

I just started Lexipro and I wonder if that has anything to do with it, too....these drugs are all frikkin weird, and so is whatever is going on in my head. This situation totally blows goats. Can't I go back to the way it used to be? I would settle for subnormal right now.

Wonder how long I will have this nightmare clown face.

2. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

Thornie-

Please get instructions from your doc re coming off prednisone. My understanding is that you have to taper down gradually.

Please take care.....we are here for you!

3. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Sometimes what helps is worse than what ails. Wish it could be different.

:-* :-* :-*

4. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I decided I should call the emergency number of my docs. They are going to call back. Even my ears are swelling up now.

I do know about tapering this stuff off...and as I tried it last week all my symptoms came screaming back.

5. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

That doesn't sound good, P. Glad you called them. Keep us posted.

6. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Hmmmmm.....they called, said don't take the Lexipro...take benedryl...go to the emergency room if things get that bad, and come in to the office first thing in the morning. So I am trying to relax.

I wonder if this is an allergy to Lexipro? Could be...

7. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Possibly. I like the way you are proactive!

8. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Well, it's a beautiful day for an allergic reaction...sun is shining, wind is blowing, lovely lovely. Bryan has run out for benadryl. I am sitting here going ooooooohhhhhmmmmmmm stay calm, this too shall pass, my peak flow meter says I am fine, just relax........

Ok, benadryl is down the hatch, and now we start praying.

9. Titus

Titus New Member

I'm praying right along with you. Sounds like a reaction to the Lexapro. Or maybe a combination reaction. I know the Remeron made me retain fluids and gave me some other weirded out symptoms. I couldn't tolerate Lexapro, it make me feel like I was going crazy instead of helping me NOT go crazy. I'd like to get off all this sh$% but I've tried and the withdrawal symptoms were way too much.

Keep posting so we'll know you're OK

10. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

oh it is way beyond humor. I worry about you so much. How you maintain you sense of humor is amazing to me. I send you healing energy from way over here.
    Paul

11. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Thornapple: How are you???? Thinking about you. When I was on Predisone, the vertigo was absent and the tinnitus was minimum. I was on Predisone for 12 months, 3 weeks on, 1 week off. I decided to go off myself, too, it was a living hell for about a week in 2003. I remember feeling frantic,itchy, and the swelling. It took me 4 months (90 minutes a day, 6 days a week of excerise) to get that obnoxious Predisone weight off, worse to lose than pregnacy weight. Good luck, I hope you're feeling better.

12. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Thornie....you are in my prayers right now.....hope you find some relief soon. Please keep us updated!

xoxoxoxoxo

deercharmer

13. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Ok, the benadryl is magic. It is an allergic reaction, and my puffy lips are already going down in size. I can even feel my hair doing weird stuff, so my scalp must have been swelling up, too. It will take a little time to get the rest of the swelling down but I can just relax here and write, and there is plenty more benadryl in the bottle. I feel better already. My face still looks like a puff pastry mask, but it's going down. Wow, that was pretty unnerving. Whew!

I bet it is the Lexapro. So much for miracle drugs.

14. Leon

Leon New Member

Thornie,
    I just got here and it sound like you're doing better. I hope you get better as the day progresses.
    Leon

15. TracyInIndy

TracyInIndy Guest

Thornie,

Wow! What a reaction, I'm glad the benadryl is working it's magic!

Tracy

16. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

Thornie-

Hang in there sweetie....... not great that it was an allergic reaction, but thank goodness for benadryl (it's definitely a miracle drug in my books).
    I know that prednisone can cause facial swelling too-- and it's just awful to have to look in the mirror during those prednisone times and see a face that doesn't even look like your own.

I know you are and have been going through so much-- just know you are in my thoughts.... Please take care

Di

17. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Have to look at that bottle and see if it says "knockout drops" on it. I literally went to sleep with the laptop on my lap and just woke up a half hour ago. Remind me not to take that stuff if I have to drive anywhere. I still look puffy, but not so much like a horror flick. I'll take more tonight, when I am SUPPOSED to sleep.

It's so nice to have family. Thanks, family.

18. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Can I have my life back, now? I've paid my dues.....

19. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

Thornie, my ENT has me take a Benadryl every night. I notice if I need one during the day it has lost it's sleepy effect on me. :-\ However, I am glad it is helping and you must have needed the "nod"! LOL

Feel better soon and there are other things to try besides Lexipro :-*

20. notgivingup

notgivingup New Member

Glad to hear thing's are alittle better. Thinking of you..........Take Care......

Janet