no sodium bread

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by LisaD, Apr 23, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. LisaD

LisaD New Member

Hi,

I am buying a bread machine this weekend so I can make home made bread with no salt. However, I have been warned that without salt the bread won't turn out. Does anyone have a no salt bread recipe?

Lisa

2. connordr

connordr Me with grandkids

I use the no-salt salt. Potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride, and the chemistry of the reaction with yeast is the same. There's no detectable difference in the taste. Try it, or just use half the regular salt called for in the recipe. I have found that the yeast reaction does not need as much as most recipes call for.
    DC

3. Huck

Huck New Member

We make ALL of our own bread, and have for a long time. Here is our no salt bread recipe. It tastes great, hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Let me know how you like it.

Add the ingredients directly to your bread maker. We found if you start with the water and then the yeast first, the yeast reacts better and it raises the dough better. The loaves raise very high. The trick with yeast is the warm water, not hot. Salt (or lack of it) does not affect the yeast.

1 cup warm water
    3/4 Tbsp Active dry yeast
    1/3 cup sugar
    2 Tbsp Olive oil
    3 Cups Bread flour

We run the bread machine on dough setting. When it done in the machine take it out. Form the bread dough into log
    (its what my wife calls it). Put the dough in a bread pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Let is raise covered with a towel in the loaf pan for 1/2 hr to 1 hr. Bake for 25 min at 350*

Values per slice
    Calories 200 Fat 3 Chol 0 Sodium 2 Carbs 37

These values were calculated from our Living Cookbook software.

Huck

4. carolynanh

carolynanh New Member

I also use to no-salt salt along with no sodium baking soda and no sodium baking powder (both of which i have to buy online) when I run bread through the bread maker. it tastes just a good and has minimal sodium.

5. LisaD

LisaD New Member

Thanks for the input. My husband went out and bought no sodium baking soda. I am going to try the bread recipe as soon as I get my bread maker. I am too dizzy to leave the house so I have ordered it online. I should get it in a week. I will let you know how the recipe goes.

Lisa

6. Gezzer

Gezzer New Member

I have never used salt in any of my baking. Yeast needs sugar to grow, but doesn't need the salt. Salt is more of a flavor enhancer.

If you are using regular baking soda or baking powder, you are getting plenty of sodium. If you are going to use non sodium baking soda and powder, you might have to experiment to get the taste you want.

Good luck

Judy

7. Cath

Cath New Member

I get all our bread made especially by our local bakery. It's completely salt free and it tastes great. It's $13 for 4 loaves at a time and their recipe includes no salt.

8. libr

libr New Member

In addition to being a flavor enhancer and a preservative in bread, it also somewhat inhibits the growth of yeast. So, if you remove the salt from a bread recipe, you will need to use slightly less yeast than normal or your bread will rise too much.

Adding a little ascorbic acid to your bread recipe can replace the preservative aspect to some degree and a little vinegar adds some flavor to replace the lost salt flavoring.

Donald A. Gazzaniga has published a whole bunch of no-salt cookbooks, each with bread recipes, and specifically a baking cookbook. He has some recipes and tips on his website...
    http://www.megaheart.com/kit_recipes_index.html

Cheers,
    Sean

9. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Ditto to Sean’s remarks.

I use ¼ tsp of salt per loaf when I bake bread. That works out to 600 mg of sodium per loaf. My bread has about 3.5 cups of flour per loaf. Since ¼ cup of flour is a serving size, this works out to 40 to 50 mg of sodium per slice.

Joe

10. LisaD

LisaD New Member

I got my bread maker. I tried making some bread. It doesn't taste good. It taste like I am eating wet heavy flour. Maybe I am just accustomed to eating store bought bread. I plan to try the recipe here on the forum.
    Lisa

11. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Lisa,

That should not happen.

Huck's idea of using the dough setting is good one. I used to do the same when I had a machine. When my machine broke, i decided to go back to doing the whole thing by hand. Now I make various types of loafs, rolls, and flat breads.

Happy baking,

Joe

12. bostonboy

bostonboy New Member

I have had Menieres since 2002 and have been trying to go no-sodium as much as possible.
    Regarding no-sodium bread, I have found a terrific and easy recipe that tastes great!
    I mix the dough using a mixer with a kneeding hook attachment on very low speed. Here it is!

4 cups of flour (unbleached, quality flour)
    1 1/4 cups warm water
    1 packet of yeast (1/4 oz.)
    4-5 tablespoons unsalted butter

Mix 1/4 cup of very warm water with the yeast until it foams. Melt the butter until it's a liquid. Combine the yeast, butter and 1 cup of warm water with the flour (4 cups). Mix with the blender/dough fork, hands or
    spoons until dough forms. Kneed dough for 5 minutes, let rise for 1 hour
    and place in a 425' oven for 20-30 minutes. It's a staple and tasty! I make it 1-2 times per week!

13. trippen1999

trippen1999 New Member

I just made my first loaf in my machine. Whole wheat with Salt substitute. It came out really good

14. SJE

SJE New Member

Make the bread as you would normaly add horseraddish instead of the salt.

15. June-

June- New Member

Just leave the salt out. It will rise and brown fine if that is what you are worried about. It won't taste the same though.

I did this for a year.