My Meniere's and now a new life with Cochlear

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by who me, May 29, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. SJE

SJE New Member

Way to go !!

I had a laby and CI implant done last Nov' the best thing I have done, I almost have my life back again.

2. Brownrecluse

Brownrecluse New Member

I had a laby in my left ear and and a CI in 2003. Sadly, the CI did zip for my hearing. I got some odd tinny sounds in the left ear, which meniere's had totally destroyed, but that lasted about six months. Even with constant visits to my audio therapist and doctor, it did not improve.

So I am so glad to see others with better results. I just got a notice about an upgrade for my CI which I might try if Medicare will cover enough of it; simply because my hearing is nearly all gone now in my right ear, or so messed up with distortion and tinnitus that it might as well be. I take a note pad and pen to doctor visits now because I have eye issues as well that interfere with lip reading. So maybe the Nucleus 5 could make a difference. Would be great if it did.

3. AKJim

AKJim Giant's Causeway Northern Ireland

Hi Brownrecluse,

Did they run tests to see if the implant was in the right place?

Best regards,

Jim

4. tm53

tm53 New Member

Just got activated last week. Still going through the learning process.

So far I am just pleased as punch.

5. Dizzy Little Piggy

Dizzy Little Piggy OINK OINK

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!

6. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Great story who me!!!!!!

10 years after loosing all function what is your biggest issue?

Were the doctors more amazed at your life without vestibular function or with your suscess of using the cochlear?

7. who me

who me New Member

Both mate, any doc I have spoken to that I tell my story is amazed, mostly at the motorx racing, but just how life has unfolded in general and the hurdles I have climbed and never looked back ;)

8. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Who me,

You are my hero!!!! This post should be read by everyone who comes to this forum looking for hope.

If I ever get to Austrilia I am taking you to dinner my friend. I love austrailia from what I know about it----- watching shark week on discovery channel it looks like my kind of place, great fishing and beautiful women.

Mate: you are my hero!!! I think of you often, thanks for helping me and answering my emails.

Joe/bulldogs

9. who me

who me New Member

um what can I say :-[ :-[ no need to thank me mate, just trying to help out. 8)

10. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

bump: this is my favorite thread ever on this forum.

11. who me

who me New Member

Had my 3 month map yesterday, my audiologist is stunned again, before my CI my speach tests were around the 20% for my right and under 5% for my left, yesterday was 99% on sentences, 96% on single words, this is in a quiet room, and 68% on words with a lot of back ground garble being played to hide the word being spoken. The best result she has had to date. 8) 8) for a 3 month map.
    So 3 months now until my next visit. Was interviewed over the phone for about 20 minutes the other night from a lady from Cochlear headoffice doing some research for upcoming Hearing Awareness Week over here. :eek: :eek:

12. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well with it too, Piggy. Thanks for the update!

Lisa

13. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Ashley, you the man:

Have you been watching shark week, love the austrailian footage.

P.S: do you swim without a balance system? does the sand give you trouble when walking?

Now that you have your hearing what is your biggest obstacle you still must overcome with this disease, or do you consider yourself coured?

be good my mate.

14. Dizzy Little Piggy

Dizzy Little Piggy OINK OINK

Thank you LisaB.

15. who me

who me New Member

I have never scuba dived but snorkelling is fine, and general swimming is ok, I just don't close my eyes under water. :eek: Walking on the sand if fine, we live 2 minutes from the beach. 8)
    I don't consider myself cured, if I was cured I wouldn't be deaf. I say I am releived of MD symptons.

16. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Bump: Ashley, u doing ok my friend?

17. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Bump for Brooke

18. who me

who me New Member

Hey all. Had my 6 month map a few weeks ago, going great, best thing I ever did 8) 8). I have my life back, my business is booming, my wife is happy, I am happy. Docs are happy
    Cheers
    Ashley

19. james

james ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

I am so happy for you!

20. June-

June- New Member

Great news! Thanks for letting us know.