Meditating

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Center' started by solari, Nov 17, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. solari

solari Administrator Staff Member

Do any of you meditate?

A wise, close friend of mine suggested that I start meditating awhile ago as a way to help cope with this disease.

Once I got into it, I was amazed and astounded at how much it helped -- not only by bringing peace and spiritual insight within, but also literally bring balance back to my life, including physically.

Whenever I would feel dizzy or off balance, I'd meditate and the relief was almost instantaneous and it lasted for many hours.

Now it is part of my daily routine where I try to meditate at least three times daily (morning, afternoon, and before bedtime). It has changed my life in many ways and it is much like being closer to God/Spirit as a way of prayer as well.

You may want to give it a try if you haven't already.

Ray

2. June-

June- New Member

I've been just about to try this for about 40 years now. I do love what Yoga does for the mind and I also do just let my mind go completely into the moment when I am doing repetitive tasks like sweeping or that kind of thing.

How do you suggest a person start meditating if they want to try it ?

3. egross

egross New Member

Just sit. I have a traditional meditation cushion and mat. It's a good idea to start just for 10 to 15 minutes. The goal is to quiet or empty the mind. As thoughts come as they of course do just notice them and let them go, don't participate in them. You will do this over and over again. The mind is incessant. It wants to go from this thought to that thought. But in time if you practice you will notice that at times you will notice there will be times were there will be silence. It's in these moments of silence real peace is known. The more you cultivate this practice the more you will find yourself being more at peace with yourself, with others, and with whatever is happening in your life.

There are usually meditation groups who meet in communities. It's helpful and adds to the experience to find a group to share meditating together.

4. Titus

Titus New Member

I'm not sure why I stopped meditating because it is very good for all areas of health. I learned how to do it when I was exploring Buddhism and it helped with anxiety. Back then I didn't have any physical ailments but it always made me feel better. I used a meditation pillow and think I had better sessions doing it that way.

5. Titus

Titus New Member

Andrew Weil has a good CD on the basics of meditation.

It does take regular practice and the first few sessions, for me, were torture. I would start with 5 minutes and do it more frequently.

6. Titus

Titus New Member

I'm wondering if it would help or hurt my posture/neck

7. solari

Contrary to popular opinion, it doesn't matter how you sit or whatever style you choose. Just make yourself comfortable. I often meditate on the back porch in a rocking chair or my lazyboy in the living room.

Once you get it, you can actively meditate while waking in the woods (something I dearly love), doing the dishes, etc. Just BE in the moment.

Ray

8. solari

Absolutely, Titus! In fact there are actual scientific studies that show meditation has many useful health benefits, including helping yourself heal quicker. I've noticed many of these benefits and it is amazing.

Ray

9. Jazza

Jazza Saved by Grace Thru Christ Jesus

We are given instruction on Christian meditation in the Bible.

PS 48:9 Within your temple, O God,
    we meditate on your unfailing love.

PS 119:15 I meditate on your precepts
    and consider your ways.

PS 119:16 I delight in your decrees;
    I will not neglect your word.

PS 119:27 Let me understand the teaching of your precepts;
    then I will meditate on your wonders.

PS 119:28 My soul is weary with sorrow;
    strengthen me according to your word.

PS 143:5 I remember the days of long ago;
    I meditate on all your works
    and consider what your hands have done.

PS 143:6 I spread out my hands to you;
    my soul thirsts for you like a parched land.

We are taught to meditate on the Lord Himself, His power and strength for from Him come blessing and provision and healing.

10. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

I attempted meditation at yoga class, the instructor had the class do 10 minutes before yoga exercise and about 15 minutes after. I guess I am just so highly stressed - I can't seem to quiet my mind and block everything out. Wish I could find the solution to giving way to the stress so I can fully let my mind relax.

11. June-

June- New Member

Others could speak to this better but I don't think the idea is to block everything out but more to let the thoughts come as they will just not be engaged by them. Relaxing really does take practice.

12. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

13. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

Every day. I read the book 7 minutes to live by when I was in high school and I do it before every nap. Sometimes I don't need the nap afterwards. I don't think I have ever told anyone that.

14. egross

egross New Member

Exactly, it's impossible to stop the thoughts from coming. When realizing you're distracted by thought just notice it, then go back to focusing the mind. Sometimes I'll find myself get caught up into something especially if something is bothering me, but I keep taking my mind back over and over again. That's why it's called a practice.

Some people count their breaths, in breaths and out breaths. I start saying breathing in I know I'm breathing in, breathing out I know I'm breathing out. Others use other mantras. After a while you drop the mantra and the mind is quiet. That takes much practice.

I begin my practice with metta meditation, which is kindness meditation. I wish kindness and goodness to everyone and all things. I start with those closest to me like family then work further out to friends and neighbors, including my family here, including all living beings. After doing that my heart feels so open I'm very settled and relaxed for my meditation. This a Buddhist meditation practice which I've been practicing for years.

15. Titus

Titus New Member

If meditation doesn't work or you don't have time to practice, try focused breathing. It's based on the same principles and you inhale through your nose slowly counting to four and exhale through your mouth with your tongue touching the roof of your mouth just in back of your front teeth. The exhale should last twice as long as the inhale. Make sure you're using your diaphram to breathe. Your belly should move, not your chest. You can do this flat on your back and it will really help you relax.

16. karenlr

karenlr New Member

Lorrie, talk to your body and mind, by that I mean you tell yourself it's ok to let go of the problems, it's ok to relax. Then talk your way down your body, tell your mind to relax, to be at peace, feel the stress leave your neck and shoulders. We had a whole talk that we did when we did a 15 min. cool down after yoga class. You have to be able to focus of letting go of the stress that is causing you to "jump around" mentally.

17. Butterfly

Butterfly I will learn to fly agian.

I have really wanted to learn how to meditate. Just curious does anyone know what the differance is between meditation and biofeedback? I dont know anything about either. I have really enjoyed this thread and plan on trying the suggestions. My body could really use a break.

18. Titus

Titus New Member

If you have access to a good counselor, I urge you to try biofeedback. You can learn from CDs but in person is much easier. I can bring my pulse rate down 10-15 bpm using biofeedback. It takes less time to master that meditation. Your mind can focus on slowing your body down and it's a great tool to use when you're trying to fall asleep.

19. Butterfly

Butterfly I will learn to fly agian.

Thank you Titus :) Im probably going to have to go the CD route as Im homebound.

20. solari

One way to look at it is imagine a stream gently flowing by. Your thoughts float by on this stream -- just acknowledge each thought and let it flow on through. Don't fight it. Go with the flow. It gets easier the more you do this.

Ray