machine

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by suebk, Oct 4, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. suebk

suebk New Member

Got this third hand, so not real sure on the details. Hoping someone here can fill me in. The Man came home today and said someone told him that they had seen a machine on some TV programme - New Inventors or something - which blows air into the ear to change the pressure and which is used to prevent Menieres' attacks.

Anyone know what it is that they might be talking about? Just curious. My attacks are few and far between so it's a bit of a non issue for me. If someone could find a cure for the flu - that I'm interested in. Got my first bad lurgy for a couple of years and I feel like crap. Every joint aches, my head hurts, my throat is on strike, and I can't decide if I'm hot or cold. Starting to just come good, but I could use a belt of rum or something to kill the bugs in the throat - and there's nothing in the house.

2. shudabenanun

shudabenanun Laters baby

and its not the Mennitt Device?(Not sure if spelled right)... Thats the only thing I can think of.. maybe when some others sign on they might no more or no of this newer "machine" cause I'm not sure what it might be...

3. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Could it be this:

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,8.0.html

or this:

www.meniett.com

4. jrw

jrw New Member

Sounds like the Meniett device made by Medtronic. Cost is about $3500 in the U.S. and has recently started being paid for by a few insurance companies.

5. cheese

cheese New Member

suebk, the device you're referring to is the enttex P-100. It was shown on "the new inventors" last week. Linda posted a link to the thread that mentioned it..... here it is again http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,8.0.html

You can also look at it here www.enttex.com

Its similar to the meniett device that others have mentioned, except that it has a manual pump rather than an electronic one, and it is also alot cheaper. Im guessing you're in Aus, so the meniett is $5000(aud) and the P-100 is about $450(aud)

6. abra

abra New Member

If the Meniett is automatic and the P-100 is handpumped...and both work...does that mean the speed of the pulse of the pressure it creates isn't really relevant?

I know several on here have used the Meniett with mixed results....has anyone used the P-100?

7. cooner

cooner New Member

I have the Menitte Device and it has worked wonderful for me. YOu have to see a doctor who puts a tube into your ear then the device sends pulses into the ear and the fluid somehow is reduce by the air that the device puts through the tube. I do it 3 times a day, 5 minutes each time. Simple to use. Yes, it did cost me $3,500.00 I could not get my insurance company to pay anything for it. They claimed that it was not medically needed. I would like them to have this disease then they would know whether it was medically needed or not. I am glad to hear that the insurance companies are finally looking at it. I do not know anything about the P-100 but it certainly is much cheaper.

8. cheese

cheese New Member

Hi Abra ...sorry to have this going in two threads....but

The P-100 has a precise valve in it that allows the "perfect" amount of pressure to be applied. So no matter how hard or fast you squeeze, the same amount of pressure will be applied. So i guess the main difference is that the meniett has a precise 5 minute cycle, whereas that with the P-100 you have to create your own cycle

9. abra

abra New Member

Woops, I answered on the other thread as you posted on here. OK, I understand now...thanks!

10. LisaB

LisaB New Member

It's nice to know that there is a cheaper alternative to the meniette. I love my meniette! I did (after a fight) get Blue Cross of MI to cover the cost of most of mine....this helps anyone in MI to know, because if they have covered one, they should cover another. But unless someone tells you they can't give you that information, HIPPA and all. The big turning point for me was that medicaid covered it. They didn't believe me, and were surprised to find out that it is so. My broher works for them and says they follow Medicaid's lead. (Another help was my brother getting it on the right desk for me). If you are trying to get coverage, post here to see if someone got coverage in your own state....I have even forwarded my letters to others to copy. Good luck, Lisa :)

11. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

12. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member