Lo Salt Lasagne

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Shining, Sep 16, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Shining

Shining "knowing is half the battle" ~~~GI Joe

My SIL is Italian, so how could I give up lasagne? I use low salt versions of sauce and cheese, then spice it up with thyme, cilantro, lotsa garlic, fancy mushrooms, Mrs Dash, and a little olive oil infused with red chili peppers for a kick. The Ricotta surprisingly only has 150mg per serving, well worth it. My secret is to add the cilantro and parmesan cheese (only 3mg salt) to the rocotta before spreading that layer. The only problem is I get tired about halfway. I make the sauce one day, and put it together to bake the next. I ALWAYS make more lasagne than I think I could ever eat and freeze some so I don't have to make it so often. I have a batch of sauce simmering right now. Tomorrow I'll pop to the store and get some whole wheat noodles. ;D Vegetarians just use more mushrooms and maybe a layer of spinach. Personally, I like using buffalo ground burger because it has low cholesterol.

2. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

I have not made lasagna in ages. It is one of my comfort foods. I cook from scratch and I write down all the sodium contributors before I decide on proportions. The soft cheeses, including ricotta, often have low Na. (The big exception is feta; that's a salt mine.). Joe

3. Shining

Shining "knowing is half the battle" ~~~GI Joe

Thanks for the warning about feta! *sighs* It is...WAS...one of my favorites! As for my lo salt lasagne...I can't believe I ate the whole thing! None left over for the freezer this time. The cat even got a piece. I left it on the table to get a glass of water and came back to him chowing down. Darn cat! He was purring like a freight train afterwards, sitting on my lap. I hadn't the heart to even yell at him.