Linda, can you tell me...

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by blessed, Oct 3, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. blessed

blessed New Member

...a little more about the device you use at work? I looked at the site that you directed me too but didn't see a lot of information. Maybe I just missed it. How exactly does it work, it is expensive, etc. Like I have said before, I can hear volume, I do wear a hearing aid, but it takes me forever sometimes to understand what people are saying. Ever hear how the teacher talks on the Charlie Brown cartoons? That is what I hear sometimes. If it wasn't so sad, it would be hilarious...know what I mean :)
    I work in an office where I have to get out alot of reports and I do them all from dictation off of a tape recorder. I work for four different men, all with different voices. Although I can set my recorder for different tones, I can't do anything about the clarity. It is so frustrating. This is a wonderful job that I love and I can't stand to think about giving it up. Everyone tries to help me out but they can only do so much. Answering the phone is another tremendous problem. I do that all day, too. I only have one ear that I can hear out of even with a hearing aid. The other one is long gone.

I appreciate anything you can tell me.

Thanks,

Trina

2. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Hi Trina -

I know exactly what you mean by the "Peanuts" story.

I got my machine free from the California Telephone Access Program. I filled out a form and had my doctor sign it. I'm wondering if you have a vocational program where you live that might be able to help you. You might try Googling "hearing assistance services" or something like that and see what you come up with. There are a lot of agencies out there to help us. We just need to find them.

I also bought a second machine myself. I think I paid around $100 for it a couple of years ago. There are a couple of versions....one with a headset and one without. It isn't perfect, but it works for me. I mostly use it at work for the phone. I'm the receptionist and I do admin work. The little box allows me to adjust tones based on the caller's voice.

Here is the one you would probably need:

http://www.s5electronics.com/hga-mx.html

It looks like the price went up since I purchased mine....scroll to the bottom to see the price.

I'm also going to PM you.

3. blessed

blessed New Member

Thanks so much. I am going to check into it further. But.....PM me?? Not sure what that means. :)

4. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

I sent you a Private Message on this forum. Above you will see "My Messages"........click on that and see my message.

5. blessed

blessed New Member

PM.....got it. I have read it and replied.