Killer Veggie Casserole

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Max Stooge, Apr 8, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

or something like that.

I've done this a couple of times lately and I love it. Low sodium also. Meat is optional. Also mushrooms would be an optional ingredient.
    I got the idea out of the blue one evening, just had a whim. I love fresh or frozen vegetables and just had this idea for "something different".

Tonight for instance, this is my casserole, in a 9" X 12" Pyrex dish.

3 sausage patties, browned and diced.
    Chopped onion.
    Diced green bell pepper.
    Frozen California Blend Vegetables. (cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots. Available at Walmart in a 5# bag for $6 or $7, things keep going up!)
    Frozen peas.
    Shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese. (again, maybe you would prefer a different cheese blend)

Grease a glass baking dish with oil of your choice (liquid Crisco for me). Stir all ingredients in the dish together, top with a bit more cheese.
    Bake at 350 for about an hour. Baking times may vary depending on the size of the batch you're making. Mine tonight is a large one, so may take longer. Start checking in 45 minutes or so to be sure.

I can smell it cooking already, especially the onion. May have overdone it a bit there, lol.

You could use any combination of veggies I think, whatever your preference is. I've done it with french cut green beans, corn....... anything would work. But I use California Blend as my base ingredient. It gives texture and I love cauliflower and broccoli. Depends on what you have in your freezer/pantry. As noted, meat and mushrooms would be optional..... any of it is optional.

And I'll have lots of leftovers for the next week, healthy leftovers.

Create! Bon Appetit!

2. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

This sounds really yummy Max! What time is dinner? ;D

Seriously though, I'll have to give this a try...sounds really good and simple to make which is always a plus.

3. June-

June- New Member

I'm going to give it a try. I love cheese but have a hard time 'remembering' to eat vegetables.

4. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

Also seasoning... I sprinkle a small amount of Mrs. Dash in when I stir it all up.
    Should also mention, keep the heat at 350 or lower. I tried 375 once and it got a bit crunchy on top and bottom. Glad y'all liked it!

5. June-

June- New Member

I made this. I didn't put any meat in it as I used it for a side dish. We had baby swiss cheese on hand so I grated that. It was simple and delicious.

6. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

Glad you liked it June and Sarita. It is simple, healthy, and heck, it tastes good. Sometimes I amaze myself, being a single man, with what I can concoct in the kitchen.

7. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

I'm gonna have to start buying the California Blend by the case. Sigh.....

8. June-

June- New Member

I have made this twice. I really like it. I make it with only vegetables no chicken.

9. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

June, I made it once with peanuts mixed in. Believe it or not. I know, weird, but it was actually pretty good. I'm thinking it would be pretty hard to mess up with this.

10. June-

June- New Member

That sounds kind of oriental. You could probably do almost anything with seasonings. But I like just the cheese and sautéed onions, salt and pepper.

11. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

Methinks it's time to throw a big batch in the oven..... haven't had it for a while and I need to get back on the veggie trail. I have a few pounds to lose.

12. imtickledpink

imtickledpink New Member

Sounds great but sausage is loaded with salt. So is cheese. I didn't take no salt seriously for years because I didn't see that it was a trigger for me. My Dr. kept telling that it will build up and be a huge problem for me one day if I didn't cut it out. Boy was he right! I thought because I stopped drinking soft drinks, stopped pork, and never used added salt I had cut back. Now I can't have anything processed what so ever or I am immeditatly sick. Wish I had learned along time ago just exactly how much salt is hidden in food!

13. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

Sounds good but definitely not low sodium with the sausage and cheese.

14. Lee4343

Lee4343 New Member

Also concerned about the sausage... I dearly love it, but wrote off sausage first thing when I started eating low sodium. Chicken might be good though!
    I'll also add that I love Mrs. Dash! Too bad she's married.. sigh I just made a baked potato with Mrs. Dash on it and never missed the salt I used to have to load it on!