Just returned from ENT... dr suggests VNS...

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by GinaMc, Oct 6, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. twinklenani

twinklenani Guest

BLESS YOU WITH A SUCCESSFUL TREATMENT!
    ....WHAT IS A VNS? I HAVE JUST ABOUT EXHAUSTED ALL TREATMENTS AND HAVEN'T HEARD OF THIS ONE.
    I AM HOUSEBOUND AND SOME DAYS...CHAIR BOUND!

2. GinaMc

GinaMc Me and my friend Sally :)

Hi Twinkle... a VNS is a Vestibular Nerve Section... they don't do them as much anymore because it has been replaced with Gentamycin injections into the inner ear to stop the vestibular dysfunction which should stop the vertigo attacks. I unfortunately had 3 injections but they didn't work 100% because I had 2 fistula repairs to the inner ear prior to trying the gent. So he suggested the VNS.. basically it is surgery where they go in and cut the vestibular nerve and it completely takes out the balance on that side with the other side than taking over to control your balance. the vertigo should stop but I have been told I may be left with some of the symptoms... ie: fullness in ear, some hearing loss (which i already have) ringing in ear, etc. but the dizziness/vertigo/and balance problems should get better because of the dysfunction in the bad ear right now, so cutting it should do it.

There are alot of posts on here in regards to VNS or shunt surgeries or other alternatives like Vestibular Rehab (which i do and have done for the past 5 years) etc... go to the search engine on main page and just type in what you want to read about and you should be able to find some info. Alot of ppl attach links to their posts so you can get right to an article on the internet and reference it... everyone here is so wonderful.

Is your diagnosis Meniere's (MM) what is your story?? Hope you are having a good day. and THANK YOU for the well wishes.

Gina

3. twinklenani

twinklenani Guest

YOU ALL HAVE GIVEN ME SO MUCH INFORMATION. I AM IN VESTIBULAR THERAPY NOW...ON VALIUM...AND HAVE HAD 2 GENOMYACIN SHOTS...BUT AM BACK WHERE I STARTED. I AM HOUSEBOUND...WALK WITH A WALKER WHEN THE BAROMETRIC PRESSURE IS HIGH....ON SOME CLEAR DAYS I FEEL ALMOST NORMAL...THIS IS ONE WEIRD DISEASE AND HAS GLUED ME TO THE COUCH 75% OF THE TIME. I, NO LONGER, GO GROCERY SHOPPING OR OUT TO EAT...IT IS VERY LONELY AND I AM GLAD I FOUND Y'ALL TO TALK WITH.
    GOD BLESS YOU!

4. GinaMc

GinaMc Me and my friend Sally :)

Has your ENT suggested another Gent? did you get any relief from the other 2? and did you have any inner ear surgeries/procedures prior to the gent? Has he ever suggested any other more radical approaches?? like the VNS or anything else? I was given so many options at the start of this that I chose the route to go, VRT first.. didn't work.. then we did Gent.. didn't work, gave relief for awhile but didn't work 100% like i said before.. and then the VNS.. that is the last resort for me. Just wondering what he/she has told you?

i take valium too, 5mg 3x a day... but just for now until after the VNS and hopefully can recover to come off of it.

Gina

5. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Welcome twinklenani - Please introduce yourself to us in a new post so we can all get to know you!

Thanks for helping, Gina!