hydrocortisone

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by verti, Jan 15, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. verti

verti New Member

Has anyone taken this & did it make MM worse? I'm desperate to find something to get rid of 2 months of sinus & throat inf. Antibiotics are out of the question because of allergies to them. Thanks for your help.

2. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

This is not a sole solution, but in most cases is a strong factor in helping the body's innate immune system.

Are you taking any vitamin D? I'd recommend 6000 IU per day (not a mere 600 IU).

Have you considered sinus irrigation systems, or (less expensive) a neti pot and saline solution? These can bring real relief to sinus problems.

You should also be taking vitamins C and E, in adequate amounts. I'd suggest 2000 mgs of vitamin C and 400 IU of vitamin E.

Check all of this by Googling each of these, along with "sinus infections."

--John of Ohio

3. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

I completely agree with John here...

My immune system has been awful for many years....every fall and winter I would get every bug that was out there, and because of my asthma, I'd make numerous trips to urgent care for breathing treatments, steroid shots, and antibiotics for secondary infections.

Last fall, I was worried (needlessly) that I wouldn't be able to get the H1N1 vaccine from Kaiser. Based on what I read here and on other sites, I immediately tripled my Vitamin D intake, from 400 IU to 3,000 IU per day. (I did end up getting both the H1N1 and seasonal flu vaccines.)

A few times it seemed like I was coming down with either a cold or another sinus infection; regular rinsing with NeilMed Sinus Rinse, and plenty of sleep managed to stave it off. I also try to use my Nasarel steroid nasal spray and my steroid (not rescue) inhaler, but I forget a lot.

Anyway, the other day, DH remarked on how I hadn't been sick for a very long time!!!

Knock on wood, I hope it continues, but right now I am swearing by the Vitamin D.

4. verti

verti New Member

Thanks for reply. I have been irrigating but ENT doesn't think it is getting where the problem is.

5. tm53

tm53 New Member

Hydrocortisone is used to achieve suppression of inflammation in many inflammatory and allergic conditions AND I believe among other things an immunosuppressant (could be wrong on this). I would follow the Doc's advise here since you might be fighting and infection.