"heavy head"-does this happen with mav too?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by wileyriley, Aug 1, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. wileyriley

wileyriley New Member

i've had a terrible weekend as far as dizziness and balance goes. yesterday i was bouncing off the walls and not in a fun, hyper way. my children have that area well taken care of. :eek:

anyway, today i have the all too familiar very heavy head feeling that i've had on numerous occasions with meniere's. it's like when i get up, there's this strong pull between my head and the floor. back when i used to have the violent vertigo attacks, this feeling was always present and if i moved my head the slightest up off the bed or floor, i would end up puking. i know other people with meniere's know this feeling as it has been discussed on this forum before. i had this problem very badly before my gent injection back in may.

so now i'm wondering if this happens to people with mav too? i was convinced yesterday's problems were mav related. today i feel different and it feels like my old friend meniere's popping back in to say hello.

or could this be the old "damaged" nerve re-firing? some remnant from the gent injection?

thanks!!

2. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

Heavy head seems to be my constant companion, not the magnetic pull me to the ground feeling, but a feeling that I am about to fall flat on my face at any moment. Although I was scheduled for gent the neurotologist felt it is burning out on its own so decided to wait and see. I have not had rotational vertigo for about 5 months just lots of dysequilibrium, fullness in the ear and the heavy head sensation. I don't know if it's ever going to get any better than this. Sorry, I don't know what causes this but am hoping others may post. I would feel so much better if I could get over all this. Hope you feel better soon.

3. pardonme

pardonme Guest

4. njspingirl

njspingirl unilateral menieres..had vns and gent injections

The muscles in my neck were so bad...i could not hold my head up straight. Always tilted to the left side. I had the heavy head feeling...just like the bowling ball and felt pulling me down. Strains on my neck. Since I started Nucca..that feeling has gone away for the most part. I do feel alittle bit of it when the weather changes. I just try to remember to hold my head up straight and walk with a cart or hold someones hand when I go out. For the most part..nucca has helped me. It was tough getting use to the new positions and sometimes painful. I am due for another adjustment tomorrow. I have to discuss something that came up in my bloodwork thou. My white counts are alittle high...14. Not up alot...but another doctor would like me to see a hemotologist. It seems to be going up every 3 months..when I get my thyroid bloodwork done. Needless to say...it scares me. I dont feel any worse. I am wondering if my adjustments have anything to do with it. Maybe causes inflamation...???

5. wileyriley

wileyriley New Member

thanks everyone for responding. i think maybe i'm not describing the feeling in the right way. maybe "heavy" is a bad choice of words. i have no trouble holding my head up or moving it. but when i get up to walk, there's this strange feeling...like maybe inertia?? like my head wants to go in one direction and my body the other. i guess it could be like feeling like i was gonna fall. before the gent, i would get the feeling my head was pulling to the side and that i wasn't walking in a straight line. like my feet were trying to keep up with my head. but i would be walking straight because i would ask people with me. that would get some strange looks...

the feeling is just so reminiscent of vertigo that i keep coming back to meniere's for what is going on today. maybe since my balance nerve is so destroyed that i'm not going into complete vertigo but i feel like could at any minute.

i don't know. i'm trying to decide if it's even worth a call in to my doctor. i've been keeping track of symptoms since i saw him a couple weeks ago. if there's going to be a change in treatment or another injection, i want it done sooner than later, not 4 weeks from now when my next appt is.

thanks for your replies! sorry you can relate and hope you all feel better soon!

6. burd

burd New Member

Yes, with my mav, just as you described.

7. wileyriley

wileyriley New Member

thanks burd. wow, that's really going to make this hard to figure out what's causing what. now the question is...should i call my oto and tell him this is the worst i've been in a month or do i wait out the next 4 weeks until my next scheduled appt? i guess i'll call his nurses and go from there.

8. cc635

cc635 New Member

Wiley, sorry to hear you are having a tough time. Hope things get better soon!

9. dizzydeac

dizzydeac New Member

I have felt like that with my MAV too but since we both have MM too and you are having so much trouble since the injections I would call!!

That's my humble opinion! :) Sorry you have had such a terrible weekend. We have had a bad weekend of rain,rain and I have had trouble too. I just think to be safe I would call. It will only make you feel better.

Hugs!
    deac

10. wileyriley

wileyriley New Member

hey cc and deac,
    i called and left a message with the nurse line this morning. curiosity got the best of me. i'm guessing they will call back and say, give it more time. bleh! tired of giving it more time!! sometimes they don't call me back which is frustrating.

i'm just worried more about this latest "feeling" because it's the same as right after the gent. so i wonder if what's left of the nerve is dying off? if he wants to go ahead and do another injection, i want to do it asap. if he wants me to prescribe a new MAV med or send me to a neuro, then i also want to get that underway asap.

i'll let you know if i hear anything back!!

thanks for the support. still wobbly today but better than yesterday!

11. cc635

cc635 New Member

Glad today is a little better. Good that you called. He may have been in surgery today, but I'm sure you will get a call back tomorrow. Calling in another MAV med would be pretty easy. I'm sure they will try something. Let us know!

12. dizzysu

dizzysu New Member

oh wiley it's so hard to figure all this out.

hope you get some answers and glad today is better!

13. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

That's so true - we want our needs taken care of asap but the medical professionals act as though there is all the time in the world. Seems so obvious they have never lived through this, otherwise we might get action a little more quickly. Yes I know it's not life threatening but it's just so disabling. I for one am tired of the doctor to doctor shuffle, none of them really helping, only to be told I'll see you again in 4 months, call if you have problems before then. So how do I know if I should call when they don't do anything anyway? Sorry - I'm highjacking your thread, guess I have just reached my tolerance level and needed to let off some steam.

14. wileyriley

wileyriley New Member

well, i got a call back from the doctor's office but...apparently my cell phone decided that moment was the time to not have a signal. instead, i got the alert for the voicemail which was right after the call. by the time, i called her back it was too late. so, i'll have to wait another day. i sent an e-mail to dr. may and christina (his assistant) that described everything that happened over the weekend and asked christina to pass it on to him or the nurse in the morning. hopefully that'll speel things up a little.

of course, i say in the e-mail that my good ear discomfort has been gone for close to 2 weeks. guess what symptom is creeping back now...

lorrie-feel free to hijack all you want! i feel your pain. i hope one of us figures out something soon so maybe we can help the other. i think KTabc may be in a similar situation. maybe she can help too.

15. egross

egross New Member

Yes, and it gets very depressing. If my head is not in pain it feels so full and heavy. Even when I walk I don't hold my head up straight, it's just too heavy. I spend a lot of time lying down or in a recliner. I feel for you and hope you get some relief.

16. dizzydeac

dizzydeac New Member

I'm glad you got a call back but sorry about he cell phone issue...how irritating. Good idea to email Christina. She will get to Dr. May faster than the nurses.

Glad that you are feeling some better today! I know it is frustrating!

Lorrie-Hugs to you. I am sorry you are suffering and frustrated too!