Have you ever suffered from any of these problems?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by sirlanc, Mar 6, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

?

Have you ever suffered from any of these problems?

1. Anxiety/Panic/Phobias

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Non-disabling Depression

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Disabling Depression

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. Bipolar Disorder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Personality Disorders

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Seasonal Affective Disorder

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  7. Other Mental condition (please add a note)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. None of the Above

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

I have been thinking lately on coping with MD, specifically about the physical vs non physical aspects of the struggle...

I really like polls and was wondering about what others challenges are like, so here is an updated one for you ;)

2. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

None of the above for me.

3. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

how are you coping with your MD?

4. Wino

Pretty well, IMO. I've always treated MM like something that is certainly part of my life and that I have to be mindful of to a certain extent, but I don't spend much time thinking about it on a day-to-day basis. There are things I have to do, so I do them. If I hit a snag -- like the left-sided severe hearing loss -- I find a way to deal with it (hearing aid) and move on. For me, MM is not the focus of my daily routine and I think that it's because I put it on the back-burner (other than when I have to deal with active symptoms) it doesn't appreciably affect my quality of life.

5. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

...and you drink.

6. Wino

I'd do that regardless of MM, though. And it's not for coping. I just like drinking :D

7. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

Wine help me cope, when i am slightly dizzy (or not) i have a glass or three and it goes away

8. FrenchMonkey

FrenchMonkey New Member

I know you all are kinda joking about the drinking but you know what they say. Funny stuff has truth behind it. I paraphrase. Anyway, it's good to know that a cocktail here and there doesn't hurt some people and in other cases it helps. I find a glass of wine or a beer now and then doesn't hurt my MM and helps my mood, which is glad to have a social drink now and then.

9. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Alcohol is known to thin the blood, which may be the reason why wine helps you - if you have vestibular inflammation, it may increase blood circulation. A glass or two of wine helps me also, though if I find myself drinking every day, my symptoms generally worsen.

10. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

As far as I know, alcohol in moderate amounts is a Vestibular suppressant that acts in a similar manner to Benzodiazepine medication like Valium, that is one reason the two should not be mixed...

11. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Though I must be careful not to overindulge due to a long history of addiction in my family, I find that wine helps on a couple of levels. As has already been stated, it's a vestibular suppressant. That might explain why when MM is at its worst for me, wine takes the edge off and helps control a little of the aural fullness and drop in hearing.

Then it's also a relaxant. When I drink wine, I am sitting with my husband after the kids have gone to bed. I'm more open to talking about my day, the things that might be bothering me and just unwinding in general. Though this is way TMI, it often leads to, um, a greater level of intimacy between us and all of the benefits that come with that. (insert sheepish grin here). The increased endorphin levels all around produce feelings of well-being in general.

12. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

;D Boy, do I know how to shut down a conversation or what?

13. Nathan

Nathan New Member

lol. I don't think you have, though I've questioned my ability to do the same also. I mentioned woofing cookies the other night when there were 10 plus uses online & within 60 seconds everyone vanished :D

14. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

Seasonal disorder, no sun, not happy...long, gray, cold nights really get to me and then if we don't have sun during the day I can be really down.....but as soon as the sun comes back out I am a happy lady again. Winter is way too long in N.E.

15. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

FYI

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/5907623/Red-wine-increases-womens-sexual-desire.html

16. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Interesting. I especially like this quote:
    The researchers, who reported their findings in the Journal of Sexual Medicine last week, say the outcome is even more striking because the red wine drinkers were, on average, older than the other two groups, and age tends to be associated with a declining sex drive.

17. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

That's pretty funny! My kids have banned me from commenting on their FB posts. It's the kiss of death. (My apologies to Sirlanc for hijacking his thread!)

18. Nathan

Nathan New Member

There are a range of light therapies which assist those suffering from seasonal affective disorder, which you may like to consider if you haven't already done so

19. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

you kidding? I would take wine and sex over any other discussion topic any day of the week!

20. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Me too! See, we can find so much common ground around this wretched disease!